• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Yeah I know. But I was just using it as an example. Some people cant fight. I hve only been in one fight my entire life. If I had to fight someone who ws strong and knew what they were doing. I would be screwed.

understood and appreciated :)

I'm no Bruce Lee either, or insert you favorite tough guy.

Just trying to understand the way it played out, and if it had happened to me how I might have reacted. :yesway:

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Slugging it out with the other guy seems that the homeowner puts himself and innocent others in increased jeopardy. That's irresponsible.

It could also be argued that the homeowner did that very thing by upping the force continuum by drawing a weapon and engaging the BG instead of closing his door and calling the cops .

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    The homeowner is lucky he was found not guilty. It appears he used some very bad judgment. Even though he was found not guilty he has paid dearly. Just not worth it IMO.

ilfishin

I don't like this
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    RogerB - no the way I read it, the guy got rushed AFTER he brandished a weapon. Had he not done that he might not have been rushed.

If someone rushes you knowing that your holding a firearm, I would assume that they definately mean to do serious bodily harm to you.

Going by what I've read here. I would have voted not guilty as well.

Bastispah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Morristown IN
    I know everyone has their own opinion but this one made me laugh. So if the homeowner was 5foot nothing and BG was 6'5 and charging at him he should resort to a fist fight?? umm I dont think so. The BG should be lucky they he just took one to the knee and the hip. Cause if that was me I aint aiming for the knee or hip. That just my :twocents:.

you got that right!

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    so are you gonna let some maniac maul you instead of stop them?:dunno:

no... read all the posts. I'm just saying I think the homeowner could have taken other measures before brandishing a firearm.

Per the OP I failed to see where there was a threat to life that required a shoot. Granted it, I was not there, I can only speculate.

But as I also have stated, it's just IMHO.

I'm done, goodnight. :yesway:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I am a 53 year old disabled Veteran, if I have a gun in my hand, and you rush me, I aint aiming for your knee, I do not shoot at any knee targets, to practice with....Just guess where I am going to aim and HIT!!!!! :patriot: :ar15:

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    It could also be argued that the homeowner did that very thing by upping the force continuum by drawing a weapon and engaging the BG instead of closing his door and calling the cops .

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it doesn't sound like he had much of a front door to close:

"Upon returning, he found the intruder was arguing with the female outside with his front door glass broken. "

Sounds like forced entry on the part of the intruder, again, unless I'm reading it wrong. Sounds like a whole lotta drama I'm glad I wasn't around for...

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I'm not one to brandish a firearm too quickly, but I don't believe this guy was in the wrong.

More often than not, the mere presence of a firearm diffuses the situation without shots needing to be fired. That's likely what the homeowner was hoping (it's what I would have hoped). If he comes running out me, I have reason to fear serious bodily harm and would proceed to protect myself.

This guy had already broken in the door, if I read it correctly.

If he's in my yard, I'm going to have someone else call the police and hope to diffuse the situation. If he's breaking glass and running at me, I will protect myself.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To anyone even speculating, or second guessing the homeowners actions, you are wrong. The homeowner was acquitted of all charges in a court of law. He did the right thing as the situation required. He was on trial once, INGO does not need to put him on trial again. Be safe.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Well, as far as "Deadly Force" goes..........he did only disable the BG. And as far as the @ss whipping goes...............mabey the BG outsized the homeowner and was 30 years younger. Would the BG use deadly force after taking the gun away from the homeowner?

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it doesn't sound like he had much of a front door to close:

"Upon returning, he found the intruder was arguing with the female outside with his front door glass broken. "

Sounds like forced entry on the part of the intruder, again, unless I'm reading it wrong. Sounds like a whole lotta drama I'm glad I wasn't around for...

I was assuming the guy had a storm door . Either way , I was trying to make the point that the homeowner had other options .

I was thinking that the homeowner didn't have to go outside in the first place .

Maybe if he called the cops the BG would have run off , maybe not .

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i am always amazed at the number of people who cry "bad shoot" every time someone uses a handgun defensively. woulda, coulda, shoulda, the question is, did the homeowner act within the letter/spirit of the law? based on what i have read, i would say yes. and so did the jury.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Pushing aside the logical discussion of right/wrong, call the cops/didn't call the cops, inside/outside. . . . . . .If the BG is stupid enough to rush a man leveling down on him with a .357 it's obvious that his gene pool is in need of a serious dose of chlorine if nothing else:rockwoot:We didn't sit through the duration of the trial or the 7 hours of deliberation so second-guessing seems a little like mental masturbation, but hey if that's what you're into go for it.:popcorn:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Have been on jury duty this whole week. Long story short..... Homeowner had an intruder came into his house two seperate times, unanounced, and began arguing with a female acquaintance of the homeowner. Both times, the homeowner managed to get the intruder to leave. The third time the intruder came back, he again started arguing with the female to the point where the homeowner feared for her saftey. The homeowner, went into his bedroom to retrieve his .357 and heard glass break. Upon returning, he found the intruder was arguing with the female outside with his front door glass broken. The homeowner went outside and told the intruder to leave his property, the intruder proceded to double his fists and start charging the homeowner stating "F*** THIS, YOU GONNA SHOOT ME WITH THAT FU***** GUN!" Homeowner shot the intruder once in the Right knee and once in the left hip stopping him. The State tried charging the homeowner with 2- Felony battery, 2 misdomeaner battery, and 2 Felony Criminal Wreckless charges???? 7 hours of deliberations later.....Not Guilty on all charges, Classic self defence IMHO! :patriot:

What county was this in if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks,

Joe

Top Bottom