• ...and so much more!
  • warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I started with a search but not really finding my answer

I picked up two mosins and I would like to refinish the stocks. I have found the process so doing it shouldn't hard but I would like to get a lighter then normal color with wood grain showing.

Most of the pics I have seen are the deep brown almost a red color and I don't see a lot of the wood grain. Is that because of them not showing up in the pic or because you don't have a lot of grain to be seen? Is the deep color the more historical color?

I don't know much about wood working so these might be simple questions that a wood worker could answer but I don't know any so you guys are my "experts" :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I picked up two mosins and I would like to refinish the stocks. I have found the process so doing it shouldn't hard but I would like to get a lighter then normal color with wood grain showing.

Most of the pics I have seen are the deep brown almost a red color and I don't see a lot of the wood grain. Is that because of them not showing up in the pic or because you don't have a lot of grain to be seen? Is the deep color the more historical color?

I don't know much about wood working so these might be simple questions that a wood worker could answer but I don't know any so you guys are my "experts" :)
    The dark color and lack of wood grain showing is due to the lacquer finish they put on them originally. If you strip it down to bare wood most likely it will be a light color (they used birch a lot). If you then just use a light stain, or even a clear finish you should get the color you want. Here's one I did... it's a T53 (Chinese M44), but you get the idea...

Before:
    IMG_0985.jpg

After:

IMG_1015.jpg

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The dark color and lack of wood grain showing is due to the lacquer finish they put on them originally. If you strip it down to bare wood most likely it will be a light color (they used birch a lot). If you then just use a light stain, or even a clear finish you should get the color you want. Here's one I did... it's a T53 (Chinese M44), but you get the idea...

Before:
    IMG_0985.jpg

After:

IMG_1015.jpg

That is pretty close to the color I'm wanting. My plan tommorrow is setting the stocks in the sun all day to pull the Cosmo out the start stripping it down to bare wood next week. With a bit of luck I'll be staining next weekend:rockwoot:

Thanks

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That is pretty close to the color I'm wanting. My plan tommorrow is setting the stocks in the sun all day to pull the Cosmo out the start stripping it down to bare wood next week. With a bit of luck I'll be staining next weekend:rockwoot:

Thanks
    Good luck! Looking forward to seeing how things come out. :)

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Many are rather plain in the grain. Sometimes you will be surprised, but not real often.

Besides, the Russians merely covered them in red shelac which is pretty translucent.

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012

I stripped my Mosin with the good stripper, the one with skulls and crossbones that melts your paintbrush. Then, I sanded it down to make it smooth as babies butt. FInally, I rubbed it with boiled linseed oil until it couldn't hold anymore. It left a waxy coating when it was full, so I removed it with denatured alcohol. The grain is really nice and the wood slowly turned from driftwood white to a dark brownish red as the wood came back to life. I love the finish on this. No stain involved.

Photo Album - Imgur

Before and After Pics

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I stripped my Mosin with the good stripper, the one with skulls and crossbones that melts your paintbrush. Then, I sanded it down to make it smooth as babies butt. FInally, I rubbed it with boiled linseed oil until it couldn't hold anymore. It left a waxy coating when it was full, so I removed it with denatured alcohol. The grain is really nice and the wood slowly turned from driftwood white to a dark brownish red as the wood came back to life. I love the finish on this. No stain involved.

Photo Album - Imgur

Before and After Pics

That is the exact look I want!

Problem is with the storm and no power I'm behind on getting the cosmo out of the stock.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    put your stocks in black garbage bags in the sun and you will be surprised as to how much cosmoline will seep out, i ve done this on mosins and mausers and it works good for me, but be sure to hang the bags as it will puddle when getting hot

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    put your stocks in black garbage bags in the sun and you will be surprised as to how much cosmoline will seep out, i ve done this on mosins and mausers and it works good for me, but be sure to hang the bags as it will puddle when getting hot

I huge them up today. With a bit of luck they will be ready night when I get off work.

AuburnGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Auburn, Indiana
    Tear down, sand heavy to light grit. Then use Trueoil only. Do 3-4 coats. This is just slightly over natural color. Looks very clean. Then just add a sealer/conditioner after oil is done. I light sanded between coats of trueoil. Turned out excellent. Lasted for a year now and still looks great. Easy to maintain as well.

jdeere18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    iraqveteran8888 has a good way to finish the stocks on youtube and has a large following on how he does it. Even gives a step by step way of doing it

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    a few coats of boiled linseed oil and polyurethane after the blo dried.

I did the boiled linseed oil treatment, but do i have to seal it with something? I really like the look and feel of the wood, but I am a poor wood worker. Am I missing a step or will the stock be fine the way it is?

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I had both stocks in black garbage bags for almost two days but very little Cosmo is coming out there is just a little on the inside of the bag. Going to wait till the sun goes down tonight and take them out. And get them ready to strip maybe tomorrow

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds like your getting things done. What kind of stripper are you using?

I started the first stock when I got home this afternoon.

I sprayed krudd cutter on the stock and used a tooth brush that go all the Cosmo and stain out. Then used a iron to steam out a few of the small dings.

After that I will sand lightly then apply 5-6 coats of boiled linseed oil.

Pretty much just like iraqveteran8888 on you tube.

We have company coming over so I can't do the sanding tonight but I have tomorrow off and should be able to get a few coats on.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom