Another guy whose gun fell out of his pocket and discharged. Good grief!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You can't condemn an entire mode of carry just because some people suck at it.

People have been shot with all kinds of guns in pocket carry.

Pocket carry is consistently dangerous and it is what is pushed on those new to carrying handguns.

Nothing education cannot fix.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Carrying an improper firearm in an improper fashion is consistently dangerous.

Pocket carry is inherently dangerous.

By the gun culture--fora, gun shoppes, gun shows.

I have been in dozens if not 100s of gun shops where "pock-it carry" was being pushed on a newbie. (They always pat their pockets when they do it, it is like some dance or something).

This needs to stop.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Unholstered carry is dangerous. How is pocket carry with the proper holster any more dangerous than IWB or OWB carry?

It's not.

I do agree that people need more education than "just pocket carry it".

1. Pistol should be in a proper holster (one that covers the trigger, keeps the pistol oriented correctly, and stays in the pocket on the draw).
    2. Absolutely nothing but the holstered firearm should be carried in that pocket.

A pistol that is not "drop safe" should never be carried regardless of the mode of carry. (even the old west cowboys knew to keep the hammer over an empty chamber)

Also, while I don't believe pocket carry is inherently dangerous if done properly, I still don't recommend it for anything other than a BUG because it's slow and cumbersome to draw.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How is pocket carry with the proper holster any more dangerous than IWB or OWB carry?

It seems we have far more unintentionally shootings with pocket carry than with other types of carry. However, I know of incidents of all types of carry.

We need a study. Need to search Ohh Shoot or one of the other gun shot blogs and see what method is most reported. My chips are on pocket carry.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well, it is easy enough to find all kinds of pocket carry shootings on Ohh Shoot, but need to sit down and count how many pocket shootings vs. other types of carry.

Maybe I'll do a chart?

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    Well, it is easy enough to find all kinds of pocket carry shootings on Ohh Shoot, but need to sit down and count how many pocket shootings vs. other types of carry.

Maybe I'll do a chart?
    If you do, you should also factor in whether or not a holster was used. If I had to guess, your large pocket carry numbers will likely be mostly attributable to holsterless pocket carry, whereas I suspect very few OWB NDs, for example, will be attributable to holsterless carry. The key safety factor in any mode of carry is the holster. I suspect that with a properly designed holster, even forehead carry could be made safe.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    +1. Incidents like this not only separate shooters from just gun owners, but also illustrates how we drive, drive, drive for people to own guns, make them affordable, but NEVER push training, safety or even proper accessories, such as holsters.

You can say that again. It is incumbent upon responsible firearms owners to self-police. You don't have to be an ******* to let someone know they are doing something potentially unsafe. But it's either we do more, or laws will be enacted eventually, in many cases.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    You can say that again. It is incumbent upon responsible firearms owners to self-police. You don't have to be an ******* to let someone know they are doing something potentially unsafe. But it's either we do more, or laws will be enacted eventually, in many cases.

I know a WWII vet who still refers to handgun magazines as "clips" because that's what they called 1911 magazines. Reminds me of this fellow in the story, a 63 year old man will do something potentially unsafe, some younger guy will correct him on it, and the old timer will say "that's the way I've always been done it." Therefore he'll continue to do whatever it is you corrected him on.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Is not cellphone. Is gun. IS dangerous object capable of severe injury and death. Strap that sucker to your mainframe in a good holster.

Last edited:

Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    There has needed to be 2 laws of idiocy enacted for a long time now. IQ test to get a gun and IQ test to have children.
    Would idiots such as this not be weeded out with a class requirement to get your license to carry. I know my parents in KY just went through the class down there and it was a full day of class. You had to know how to strip, clean and reassemble your weapon, pass a written test on shooting and shooting safety and then pass a firing accuracy test on the range. I don't see anything wrong with that type of procedure to get your license. IMHO

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    There has needed to be 2 laws of idiocy enacted for a long time now. IQ test to get a gun and IQ test to have children.
    Would idiots such as this not be weeded out with a class requirement to get your license to carry.
    Of course, more laws... That's what we need... :rolleyes:

I know my parents in KY just went through the class down there and it was a full day of class. You had to know how to strip, clean and reassemble your weapon, pass a written test on shooting and shooting safety and then pass a firing accuracy test on the range. I don't see anything wrong with that type of procedure to get your license. IMHO

Brace yourself, this is going to be unpleasant... :popcorn:

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    With only 18 people in attendance, I would guess the movie was "Triple X Rated".

I've been to several movie theaters where there may have been only a couple other people but me in there. Usually it's a daytime movie, an older movie, or at one of those "discount" theaters that plays movies that aren't in the big theaters but are still relatively recent. Seeing as this is an old guy it was probably some cheap daytime movie.

Top Bottom