• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So during a recent shift, I was dispatched to call where a older gentleman was seen, and heard, shooting a shotgun in the woods behind his home. On the other side of the wooded area, there was another home, and a woman just happened to be outside with her two boys.

When I arrived on the scene, she was pretty PO'd about a gun shooting a firearm in the woods. She advises me that her husband was on his way to talk to the homeowner, and wasn't happy. She pointed out the home from her back yard, and I jump in my commission and head that way. Along the way I catch up with the husband, and he's mad as tick. I step out with him, calm him down, and tell him I'll handle it and to go back home. He takes my advice.

I then get back in my vehicle and drive to the suspected shooter's home. I knock on the door and am greated by an older gentleman with a gray handlebar 'stace. After confirming that it wasn't Liberty Sanders, I then ask the guy if he had been in the woods firing a weapon. The guy get a lil nervous, and pauses, and I can see the wheels turning as if he was going to answer my question or not. After a few seconds he tells me that he was in the woods firing his new shootgun at a target. After hearing his admission, I was just about to go JBT on him and slamming to the ground, tasering him to see him "fry like bacon," and make him polish my badge with his tongue.... when I thought about.... "what if this guy is an INGO member?" "If he is, then I will labeled the king of gestopo cops, and can never show my face there again."

So, after thinking about it, I did not pounce. I spoke to the gentleman and was advised that he had just moved to the area from Texas. I joked with him, and said that "though I know Texans love their guns, you cannot discharge a firearm withing the city limits of Carmel." He chuckles. I then tell him of the woman and her kids who had made the original complaint. He tells me that he's been a shooting for over 50 years, and that the woman's children were never in any danger. I tell him, that the complainants have no idea that he's a seasoned shooter, and for all they know that could be his first firearm. He concedes the point, and asks if he's in trouble or has to pay a fine. I tell him, "well talk about that the next time I come out here for the same thing." The guy smiles, tells me it won't happen again. He shakes my hand, and offers to sell me an over/under. As I leave, I ask if he would be willing to talk to the family that complained. He states that he will. I return to the family, tell them of our conversation (and the nature of the man), and advised that the older gentleman is willing to talk about the situation. The family thanks me, and I leave..... and all this happened in Carmel.

Though, I regret not tackling the guy and possibly hospitalizing him for an extend period, for breaking city code, I guess I can live with it.

-JBT

Last edited:

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    damn you cops always putting your boot on the neck of us simpleton's...

good job not going balistic on the old guy...hats off to ya...

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    +1 to you Kutnupe14!!!! I always like hearing of LEO's actually thinking before "tackling"! not meaning that you don't think..... OK, I'm just going to STFU before I dig myself any deeper! :D

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I thought all cops in Carmel were just awaiting their opportunity to arrest/tase/kill?

Hats off to you sir!

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Maybe I should always wear an ingo hat if I'm discharging a shotgun in the woods! ;) Well handled, seriously!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Thanks, I needed that story today!

Yes contrary to what a lot of people think, most uniformed civilians ( ;) ) are capable of doing the proper thing based on the situation. My hat is off to you!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You mean public officials in Carmel can use judgement and common sense.... huh... I remember hearing otherwise somewhere. Good of you to handle it this way, hope it doesn't hurt your position.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    SOooo, did you give the new guy a referral to INGO?
    1, because its the right thing to do
    2, Because we are waiting for his side of the story.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    SOooo, did you give the new guy a referral to INGO?
    1, because its the right thing to do
    2, Because we are waiting for his side of the story.

Ya know, I actually thought about that, but unlike how I had to remember about INGO members before deciding not to tackle him, I always remember I'm in Carmel. That would be solicitation, which technically is a violation of departmental policy. Last thing I need is a "day off." I need the the money, and have kids to feed.... somewhere I'm betting ;) ...that is if they find me.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    It was just gettin' good and then;

"So, after thinking about it"

Man I just knew it was on, I already had the popcorn ready and everthing! Oh Well, maybe next time!

Great response Kut!

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    After confirming that it wasn't Liberty Sanders, I then ask the guy if he had been in the woods firing a weapon.

That's gold! Rep coming your way :D
    Not to mention you handled it well, WAY TO GO GOOD COP!

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    i still think you should have stomped his brains out on principle alone! you what they say about Texas, steers and ..................well, you know
    all joking aside, sounds like your doing your part to help improve the public image.
    good job!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom