• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    So I was in Borders Wed. to spend my birthday gift card. I was looking for "Lights Out" but they didn't have it:xmad:, so I was debating on getting another copy of "Patriots" as mine walked away (one really is none) when I saw "American Apocolypse" on the shelf and got that.
    It is a first-person story about a guy caught up in an economic collapse (similar to Patriots), but this guy was your typical lower middle class guy living paycheck to paycheck without thinking about the future.
    Instead of one massive economic crash, the scenario is kind of an accelerating "creeping death" that leads to government and societal breakdown. It reads like the first of a series, but stands very well on its own.
    A very interesting read and, IMO, much closer to what most people will face than most survivalist or prepper stories.
    I might be willing to loan it out here in NWI if anyone is interested, you'll have to leave your favorite firearm as collateral though:):.(JK)

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I got a copy of this from my local library. I would echo the OP's comments, it was a very good read and a much more realistic slow motion collapse. Interestingly, it was in the scifi section.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I swear you people keep feeding my Kindle addiction far too often. Cut a poor guy's wallet some slack, would ya? :D
    What you're supposed to do is give us some titles so that we can curse you right back;), kinda like firefighters setting a back burn for forest fires.

Last edited:

Tester

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    I've seen references to a book called One Second After in a few places. It sounds like something that would fit right in with the survival crowd. Maybe I'll get around to looking for it sometime.

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    I've seen references to a book called One Second After in a few places. It sounds like something that would fit right in with the survival crowd. Maybe I'll get around to looking for it sometime.

Good book. Starts a little slow IMHO, but picks up nicely and overall was a nice read. One of the better EMP books.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Another great read is "Sal Batree" . Highly recommended.
    I just ordered Neither Predator nor Prey and will let you guys know how it reads. I think I have a digital copy of Lights Out on my computer if anyone wants a copy, let me know.

Top Bottom