• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    This happened this morning in Evansville. It's good to see his buddies cared for him. LOL

Police: Armed burglar shot by resident

By Gavin Lesnick (Contact)
    Originally published 03:10 p.m., March 15, 2009
    Updated 03:10 p.m., March 15, 2009

STORY TOOLS

related_story.gif
    More Local News

A burglar who kicked in an apartment door this morning while brandishing a handgun was shot once by the resident and later run over outside, police said.
    Derek Clark, 26, was shot once in the leg and was backed over by accomplices as they fled the scene, Evansville Police Department Sgt. Larry Nelson said. Clark is in intensive care at St. Mary's Medical Center.
    Detectives have not yet been able to speak to Clark and are still looking for the accomplices. Nelson said there are multiple other people involved.
    It happened about 5 this morning at 28-year-old Derrick G. Murray's apartment, 421 E. Riverside Drive.
    According to a police incident report, Murray told officers he heard his back door kicked in and someone saying "it's the police, get on the ground."
    Murray reportedly retrieved his rifle from the living room and confronted Clark, who pointed his handgun at Murray. Murray reportedly then shot Clark once.
    Police say Clark then ran outside and attempted to get into a gray Lincoln waiting outside. But the vehicle, with multiple other people inside, instead backed over Clark and fled the area, the report said.
    Nelson said Murray told investigators he did not know Clark and had no idea why anyone would target his house. Detectives are still looking into why his residence was targeted.
    "We're not sure yet," Nelson said. "We're not sure if he had the right house."
    Nelson said Murray acted correctly in shooting Clark, especially since he was armed.
    "He had a right to protect himself," Nelson said.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I think I've meet his "accomplices" on some of the forums that I've been on....LOL

Good to see that the Lincoln motor company is fighting crime!

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    According to a police incident report, Murray told officers he heard his back door kicked in and someone saying "it's the police, get on the ground."

Great. Even the amateurs are picking up on this tactic. Another reason for police to use no-knocks as a last resort.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    As a last resort?

How about never?

If anyone kicks in my door, there will be a firefight. I'll probably lose if it's really the police, but folks will be hurt. Most of the police here are my friends, and I wouldn't want that. Esp if they were rookies with the wrong house.

The ones who know me would never do a no-knock on me.

Josh <><

bouncerclub

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    deleted I posted rap sheet that I found thought it was on Mason but it was on Clark (saw the dealing charges and felony and was concerned it was on the home owner. Was just waiting on it to get twisted around.)

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Something I've noticed no one has yet commented on in the rush to praise the homeowner (and correctly, I'll add), is that the Evansville paper has published this as a pro-gun-owner article. Additionally, there is no mention that I saw about a prosecutor determining whether or not to file charges against him. I'm going to be dropping the Evansville Courier Press as well as Mr. Lesnick a note to thank them for the positive reporting. It's good to see, and I think we should encourage it so maybe it will happen more often.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom