• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Just putting this out there, if this was turned into an investment property (ie rental) it is not unusual for taxes to escalate. In marion county, mine about doubled when I lost homestead credit.

When we refinanced one time, (I think it was) we forgot to re-sign up for that credit and had to eat it for one year...yeah, that was a noticeable change.

Ellis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Corydon
    That seems WAY too high for an adjustment to an existing escrow account. IMO your property tax would have to double or insurance quadruple to generate that kind of an adjustment. I'd have a chat with the lender or account servicer.

just got it today, going to be inquiring more with all we can talk to tomorrow.. I did not read anything about an investment property in the letter.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    just got it today, going to be inquiring more with all we can talk to tomorrow.. I did not read anything about an investment property in the letter.

Well, if you don't have a 2nd residence, then investment property need not apply.
    Like GFGT mentioned, if you refinanced, and the homestead credit did not get re-upped, then that might account for the huge increase.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    If you have at least a 20% equity position in your home, you should be able to ask that they waive escrow and you can handle it on your own. That eliminates confusion.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Only thing I can think of was it a new build when you moved in? First years property tax (which is always a year in arrears) would have been on the value of the undeveloped lot. This time around it would be on the value of the house and land and could indeed go up that dramatically

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Also IIRC correctly escrow account always has to have MORE than the estimated need by about 30%

ETA: and you're paying PMI if you have less than 20% equity, the lower the equity the more PMI is but that would have been in there from the gitgo

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Did you have an homestead exemption that you didnt file? Normally you have a few months after closing to get that done otherwise your taxes might shoot up the next year.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The letter that came in gave us two options, pay $2k+ before 8/1/15 or pay extra $160/ month till shortage caught up.

Just putting this out there, if this was turned into an investment property (ie rental) it is not unusual for taxes to escalate. In marion county, mine about doubled when I lost homestead credit.

When we refinanced one time, (I think it was) we forgot to re-sign up for that credit and had to eat it for one year...yeah, that was a noticeable change.

Well, if you don't have a 2nd residence, then investment property need not apply.
    Like GFGT mentioned, if you refinanced, and the homestead credit did not get re-upped, then that might account for the huge increase.

Not signing up for the homestead exemption is one that gets a lot of people. Different counties/areas handle how you sign up for the homestead exemption differently. Check with your the gov agency that handles your property taxes and make sure your homestead exemption is filed. In Hendricks County this can all be checked online. Not sure where you are.

Only thing I can think of was it a new build when you moved in? First years property tax (which is always a year in arrears) would have been on the value of the undeveloped lot. This time around it would be on the value of the house and land and could indeed go up that dramatically

This can also bite you. Some less than stellar mortgage companies will estimate your property tax on what it was for the undeveloped land. If this is a relatively new build, this could be the issue. Then your real property tax assessment comes in and you get hammered because the appropriate amount was not being paid into escrow to handle the property tax.

Couple this with not filing the homestead exemption and you could have a real issue.

Bottom line, you should be able to look at all your escrow transactions (either online or on the mortgage/escrow activity statement) and compare it with what your property tax bill is, along with homeowners insurance and whatever your PMI rate might be. If something else is coming out of your escrow or the figures don't match, then track it down.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    If you are 80% lone-to-value you should be able to cancel the escrow account, and manage the taxes and insurance yourself. It is all on you to have the money when it comes due, so if you won't save the money for when its due, canceling may not be right for you. Escrow accounts are forced savings to pay those bills, they are also interest free loans you are paying the bank. I have always canceled escrow when able. It helps me keep my finger on the pulse of money going out the door.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom