• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    It took me 2 years to get the motivation and money together to get a rifle for myself. I started out with a donor rifle that shot pretty good. Remington 700 VSSF in 22-250. I bought a Sightron SIII 6-24-50 mildot to top it. Then it got sent to GAP for a rework. Fluted and threaded barrel in 260 remington. Three months after I sent it off I got it back just to find out that they put a thicker barrel on it than specified. It would not work with the factory HS stock that I was hoping to use. So I got a B&C M40 stock. It is so much better than the HS stock. Ken Farrel 20 moa cant base and Burris signature rings.

gap-260-012.jpg

Sure it cost a little bit of money, but it was worth it. I am still finding time to test loads on it but so far the best group that I have at 200 yards in .75".

I started off with this one.

sps-tactical-022.jpg

Remington 700 SPS varmint in 308. CDI bottom metal. Leopuld 4.5-14-40 mark 4 scope. You'll end up getting another one in a few years.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Just throwing it out there to see if there is any interest. I sold a rifle to a buddy, that has not paid me yet and has expressed that If I need the money (I do for a down payment on a construction loan) that he would give the rifle back so I could sell it.

savage 10FP
    Manners MCS-t OD green stock
    replaced the bolt knob and added thrust bearings to smooth the bolt throw out
    CDI bottom metal
    two or three ai mags
    SS trigger
    20 moa base
    100 rounds of ammo or so
    wotac scope

caliber .308

have over 1600 in the setup... Ill sell it all for 1450.

Last edited:

lubemupski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Fishers
    How much does a stock realistically affect the shot? I know that if the barrel is not properly bedded and floating it can affect the harmonics as well as put upward pressure on the barrel, which at longer distances the effect is greater.

I have a Remington 700 police which is "reinforced with Kevlar and fiberglass". Would I see or feel a difference at 500 yards with a McMillan or Bell and Carlson aftermarket stock?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    at 500 no you will not see a difference, IF the ergonomics of the stock fit you well. Most factory stocks however don't fit anyone well, and are very flimsy.

you WILL feel a difference though... a quality stock will almost always make shooting more enjoyable.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    lubemupski said:
    I have a Remington 700 police which is "reinforced with Kevlar and fiberglass". Would I see or feel a difference at 500 yards with a McMillan or Bell and Carlson aftermarket stock?

The 700P has a HS Precision stock, similar to that on the M24 SWS.

In other words, its good kit.

That said, ergonomics are highly personal and if you feel better behind the rifle, odds are good that you will shoot better too (at any range). I know *I* prefer a vertical grip with a small but noticeable palm swell like a McMillan A5, but YMMV.

lubemupski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Fishers
    a quality stock will almost always make shooting more enjoyable.

For me thats what it is all about.

Now if i did get a new stock, i would want to take it to a gunsmith to have it properly bedded is that correct? I know i could do it myself, but I imagine it could be a tricky thing to get right. Am I right?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    This is what the 11 Hog Hunter in an A2 Medalist looks like:
    IMG_20130726_161535_zps25982464.jpg

I think your scope base is on backwards. The little part that cantilevers over should be out towards the front. Check that out. If it works, it works, but if you've got an MOA built into that rail you could be making ilfe harder on yourself and scope.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Accuracy doesnt' have to be expensive. I'm a savage guy and I have been sinc emy savage 12ga rifled shotgun would out shoot a Rem 700 BDL. It's not apples to apples, but it gave me enough reason to try out a heavy barreled savage and I haven't looked back since. The new remingtons with the better triggers are nice rifles too and I wouldn't be afriad to buy one, I just prefer the savages.

Check out the Hog Hunter 308, 10P-SR 308, or 10P, or 10TR. All of those should be able to be purchased under $600 without looking too hard. The key to savage accuracy is a heavy barrel, and the accutrigger. If you've got those two things and don't get close to 1/2" groups with federal match ammo you're probably not going to get any sympathy from me.

Stocks are what they are. Whether it's a cheapo savage plastic stock or a Hogue junker they need replaced with something that fits you the best personally. For the life of me I don't know why these companies don't just sell barreled actions at a discount and let people put their own aftermarket stocks on them once purchased. While the factory stocks aren't the greatest, they'll work until you've tried out some stocks you do like, but you get a B&C duramaxx for $100, a Medalist for $230, or manners for $500, or mcmillan for more $$.

You could buy any of those savage rifles, a SWFA 10X for $300, scope rings, and a bipod for under $1k. It's easy to get a long range rifle for under $1K and be hitting steel plates at 1,000 yards. Don't get scared into spending more $$ then you have to.

koutsevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    San Pierre, IN
    Accuracy doesnt' have to be expensive. I'm a savage guy and I have been sinc emy savage 12ga rifled shotgun would out shoot a Rem 700 BDL. It's not apples to apples, but it gave me enough reason to try out a heavy barreled savage and I haven't looked back since. The new remingtons with the better triggers are nice rifles too and I wouldn't be afriad to buy one, I just prefer the savages.

Check out the Hog Hunter 308, 10P-SR 308, or 10P, or 10TR. All of those should be able to be purchased under $600 without looking too hard. The key to savage accuracy is a heavy barrel, and the accutrigger. If you've got those two things and don't get close to 1/2" groups with federal match ammo you're probably not going to get any sympathy from me.

Stocks are what they are. Whether it's a cheapo savage plastic stock or a Hogue junker they need replaced with something that fits you the best personally. For the life of me I don't know why these companies don't just sell barreled actions at a discount and let people put their own aftermarket stocks on them once purchased. While the factory stocks aren't the greatest, they'll work until you've tried out some stocks you do like, but you get a B&C duramaxx for $100, a Medalist for $230, or manners for $500, or mcmillan for more $$.

You could buy any of those savage rifles, a SWFA 10X for $300, scope rings, and a bipod for under $1k. It's easy to get a long range rifle for under $1K and be hitting steel plates at 1,000 yards. Don't get scared into spending more $$ then you have to.

The Hogue junker on my 7mm mag 700 is loose and hitting the barrel after the third shot at the fore end. Not surprisingly, that is when the bullets start to walk. My Savage model 10p with the Mcmillian is awesome. I need to get a 20mm scope base for it, yet. The factory accu-trigger works great.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I love that McMillan stock for the savage rifles. I just wish they weren't so darn expensive, and I heard they weren't pillar bedded. I'd love to buy one and get the barrel cut to 20" and threaded, but the Hog Hunter, of 10P-SR is just so much cheaper to buy.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I think your scope base is on backwards. The little part that cantilevers over should be out towards the front. Check that out. If it works, it works, but if you've got an MOA built into that rail you could be making ilfe harder on yourself and scope.

That's not my rifle (found it on a Google image search) but you're right, that base is on backward...

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I love that McMillan stock for the savage rifles. I just wish they weren't so darn expensive, and I heard they weren't pillar bedded. I'd love to buy one and get the barrel cut to 20" and threaded, but the Hog Hunter, of 10P-SR is just so much cheaper to buy.

The factory 10FCP-McMillan stock is not pillar bedded....but McMillan themselves does not think pillars are necessary in any of their stocks.

My two A5s do have pillars.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    and just WHY do you need to make even 600 yd headshots, as vs 1200 yd ones, pray tell? Got more money than sense, perhaps?

Well why do you need any guns?? (yes I men't that as sarcasm due to the logic used by anti gun lobby's)

To answer the question some folks like to push the envelope of rifle capabilities, some don't. If your not one that likes to push the limits good for you, if you are one that likes to push the envelope good for you. Why does one man get to tell another what they do and don't need is the bigger question?

Top Bottom