Anatomy of a Crap Duracoat Job (graphic images)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Even though the finish is obviously not DuraCoat and applied poorly how could the owner let the guns rust? Were they in storage or out of possession for a period? I'm a nut about keeping my guns wiped down and lubricated. I have a safe that is located away from my residence and even over there I routinely go and inspect, clean and oil it's contents. I'm just curious, not criticizing. :twocents:

rfontes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Noblesville
    that stuff looks like it flakes off pretty easy. reminds me of ppl who paint the wheels on their car, just a matter of time till it starts peeling off.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Gotta see the redo!!

Kinda funny watching everybody come out---"Not from my shop!":rolleyes:

:popcorn:

I mean in all fairness there was a call for those NOT responsible to make it known that this did not come from there shop.

But heck I helped my 10 year old brother re-paint his pellet gun and it looked better than that (and he did all the work.........).

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    on a side not I got a reblue estimate from a local Indy firm and it was 4x higher than a competitor that has over 20 years experience and all the right equipment? Moral: shop around and look at previous results and ask questions!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    Attached are some pics of the Win 1200. The Rem 700 should be done at the first of the week. My customer wanted a 2 tone on the 700. Since I didn't have a personal dealing with the original refinisher, it's not my job to out them. The information was given to me second hand. I would hate to trash someone based on possibly false information. If this was a personal dealing I wouldn't think twice about throwing them under the bus. Like Field King said, do research and ASK QUESTIONS. Find out about their processes. Do they completely strip the gun or just take short cuts. Ask about their procedures for metal prep. Without good prep the finish will not last no matter what coating you use. Price is also a good indicator. I've heard of guys offering handgun refinishing for $30 per gun. That should reek of red flags. Ask to see samples or references. If they claim to be a certified Duracoat refinisher you can verify here. If they're not listed they're full of ****......move on.

CIMG2947.jpg

CIMG2949.jpg

CIMG2950.jpg

CIMG2952.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom