• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Prometheus;2249281Of the many evils of a federal sales tax on everything said:
    Certainly sounds dramatic. How about paying a 9% tax on what you buy, as compared to a 28% (or more) tax on what you make? :rolleyes:

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    I went to ☭hi-☭om-Mart today.

What is taxed under "Fair Tax" and what is not? 1. fresh berries 2. canned spinach 3. ½ a Sub Sandwich & a pop 4. Shaving cream 5. Tampax 6. Rubbing alcohol 7. 3-bottles of wine 8. oil-change 9. Tire rotation 10. a dozen boxes of ammo (in 2 trips) 11. Milk 12. Pop 13. canned tuna 14. canned soup 15. Photos off a storage card 16. Jockey shorts 17. cat food 18. cat-litter 19. Condoms 20. Rx for Advair. And also how it would cut, under the National Sales Tax. Thanks. EBR

Last edited:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Certainly sounds dramatic. How about paying a 9% tax on what you buy, as compared to a 28% (or more) tax on what you make?

Good, so you agree it's evil to force someone to pay money to support someone else just so they can live.

That is not even mentioning that the federal tax rate for most people is WAY less than 28%.

In any event, to tell a person: "In order for you to live, you must pay for these people over there" and then if they don't pay to throw them in a cage or kill them is wrong. It is inherently evil.

I'm glad we have established some common ground.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Consider that the current corporate income tax rate (you can call it VAT I guess if you want) is about 25%. Reducing that to 9% is a 16% reduction in taxes on consumer goods and services.

The lowest gross income tax bracket is 10%. (Cain has said you can still deduct charitable contributions from your gross income) Then it goes up to 15% after $8500 and 25% after $34,500. Since the average income is about $60k, the average gross taxable rate is going to be about 12% without deductions. That's a 3% reduction for single folks without a lot of deductions. Figure it's a wash or a couple % increase for families.

Now we add the 9% retail tax, which partially offsets your 16% tax reduction from corporate income, bringing the total tax reduction on retail goods to about 7%.

For seniors, we've removed the death tax, and all investment taxes, and reduced the price of retail goods by 7%, and/or increased their investment ROI by reducing cost to business in which they're invested.

Ok, so we go to Cain's webpage and we find out that the 999 plan is a stepping stone to the fairtax.

Phase 2. We repeal the 9% corporate tax. We repeal the 9% income tax, we repeal the 6% (is that what it is now) FICA tax, plus the 7% employer FICA tax. We repeal ALL other taxes and increase the rate of the retail sales tax from 9% to 23%. We repeal the 16th amendment while we're at it.

Don't forget that the fairtax is phase 2 of the 999 plan. Not openly discussed in debate or anywhere except his website really.

Not only does this sound like the right thing to do, it also sounds do-able. It will stimulate economic growth, and control government spending through accountability, by only having ONE tax with ONE rate. If you change the rate, people are going to know EXACTLY what will happen to prices.

The icing on the cake would be a balanced budget amendment as well. Here's to hoping and dreaming.

I'm encouraged by the 999 plan, and all of the people who seem to support it. While it's not my favorite (I would support going straight to the fairtax), it does seem realistic.

monkey out

We have a marginal tax rate
    0-$8,400 is taxed at 10% = $849.9
    $8,500-$34,499 is taxed at 15% = $3,899.85
    $35,000-$60,000 is taxed at 25% = $6,250

total tax on an annual income with no deductions or schedules is $11,124.75

11,124.75/60,000 = 18.5%, not 12%.

Hermain Cain is a monster and a two faced demon of the Establishment who wants to bleed America even further into the poor house using meaningless slogans and terrible half brained ideas.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Good, so you agree it's evil to force someone to pay money to support someone else just so they can live.

I'm glad we have established some common ground.

What I really do think is that the greatest current evil (and his lovely bride) resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, and that the primary focus of all of us needs to be his removal and replacement with Paul, Cain, Perry, Romney, a Yorkshire Terrier, or a fire hydrant. (Any of the above would be preferable to what we've got now!)

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    A Critique of Herman Cain's 9-9-9 Tax Plan
    Rather than taking a principled stand against unconstitutional spending, Cain’s plan merely perpetuates spending at unsustainable rates financed by a national sales tax. Cain, the former chairman of the Kansas City Federal Reserve, has no intention of tackling Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security, the three entitlement programs bankrupting the country, nor has he articulated any coherent foreign policy, let alone one of restraint that would keep defense spending at reasonable levels. Cain’s plan will generally keep tax revenue at its current levels, perpetuating fiscal largesse that can only continue to lead America to an untimely economic demise. Cain’s 9-9-9 tax plan is a big-government “conservative’s” dream plan; it allows the welfare-warfare state to continue unabated, all under the guise of being somehow “conservative.”

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    What I really do think is that the greatest current evil (and his lovely bride) resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, and that the primary focus of all of us needs to be his removal and replacement with Paul, Cain, Perry, Romney, a Yorkshire Terrier, or a fire hydrant. (Any of the above would be preferable to what we've got now!)

You say that ... but im not so sure someone as power hungry as Perry would actually serve as a better cammander in chief than Obama .... granted it'd be hard to do worse but if any of them contestants would, i think it would be the most power hungry one that would erode our rights the most.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I just went to the Fair Tax web site and punched my numbers in. It says that under the Fair Tax I'll have -4.24% more spendable income, -$3k more purchasing power, and -$2500 less Federal Tax. So I have less to spend, it costs me more to buy stuff, and I pay more taxes. Yep, that sounds fair, in a Washington DC sort of way.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I just went to the Fair Tax web site and punched my numbers in. It says that under the Fair Tax I'll have -4.24% more spendable income, -$3k more purchasing power, and -$2500 less Federal Tax. So I have less to spend, it costs me more to buy stuff, and I pay more taxes. Yep, that sounds fair, in a Washington DC sort of way.
    Obviously you are one of "the rich".

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.

How much rebate would you get?

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Obviously you are one of "the rich".

Obviously.

How much rebate would you get?

I have no idea about a rebate. I went to the official Fair Tax site and answered the questions. That information is what they responded with. Spendable income, purchasing power, and tax. I have to assume, complete with all the danger associated, that any rebate is calculated into their response.

Frankly, I'm cynical enough to figure that if they call it "Fair Tax", it won't be. That's usually the way that kind of thing works. After all, is the Patriot Act really patriotic?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

You're not supposed to objectively analyze it. You're supposed to take it on faith that it's the next good thing.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    One of the things Gutzman mentioned that I've been amused by is the number of folks who have lamented Obama's mere two years as a Senator, but are just fine with half-term Palin and no-term (but I was a Fed Director) Cain. Gotta love folks who are consistent.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    One of the things Gutzman mentioned that I've been amused by is the number of folks who have lamented Obama's mere two years as a Senator, but are just fine with half-term Palin and no-term (but I was a Fed Director) Cain. Gotta love folks who are consistent.

Many people lamenting Obama's mere two years had plenty more to lament and did so.

"Experience" in congress does not seem to get us anywhere, since congress is a failure. It's crisis mode now, I think the dogcatcher would be just as better than obama is now.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom