• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NumberCruncher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Hamilton Co
    I'm sure this is a dupe on some level, but does anyone else suspect that the reason Homeland Security is buying up so much ammo is to keep it off the shelves in stores? That's one way to get around legislation. If they can't ban guns, they can buy all the ammo and the guns are less effective.

Just my paranoid mind thinking on a Friday as I browse every ammo website with "Out of Stock" on it. I just can't believe that with 450 million rounds of 22LR coming of the manufacturing line each day, retailers can't restock.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    I think that is more of a likelihood than they are gearing up to subdue a revolt or something. 1.6 billion is a drop in the bucket to what the citizens have surely amassed. If each gun owner has an average of 50 rounds per firearm in the US, we have 15 billion rounds. And I dont know about you, but i think one box of ammo per run is a little low for an average.

Out of curiosity, can any LEOs tell me how often it is recommended for an officer to go to the firing range? because if each LEO fires one box of ammo a week, that right there is close to 1.3 billion a year.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    I think that is more of a likelihood than they are gearing up to subdue a revolt or something. 1.6 billion is a drop in the bucket to what the citizens have surely amassed. If each gun owner has an average of 50 rounds per firearm in the US, we have 15 billion rounds. And I dont know about you, but i think one box of ammo per run is a little low for an average.

Out of curiosity, can any LEOs tell me how often it is recommended for an officer to go to the firing range? because if each LEO fires one box of ammo a week, that right there is close to 1.3 billion a year.

the only ammo I have comes in boxes of 10..;)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Don't "we" (meaning INGOers) complain about the lack of training that LEO go through...how poor shots they are...shot to hit ratio...etc etc etc...

Yet when agencies buy ammo for training, people get these whacked out ideas in their heads that it's some vast conspiracy against the citizens.

And yes, FED LEO, at all levels, train way more than almost all local and state LEO.

-J-

darrin5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Can someone tell me if the ammo manufactures HAVE to sell all their ammo to them, is there some kind of contract binding them to the government?:dunno:

B6240

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    South Central IN
    Ammo manufactures bid to get the contracts to supply the feds ammo it happens every 5 years or so. The amount they just ordered is spread out over that time frame not sure how much it is affecting civilian supply since it has always been there maybe not at those numbers.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Yes, Federal employees who have never had issued firearms as part of their jobs are being issued arms. Why, who mandated, or their motivations I do not know. A person still has to ask, if a man was an egg inspector for ten years without a firearm, why is he mandated to have one now?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN

From 1994 to 2006 the City of Ft Wayne PD supplied my ammo. We qualified once a year and were told that we would get 50 round box of ammo per month for our own practice when I was in the Academy.

In all that time, I could never get that 50 round box. I just supplied my own for all the local matches that I shot every month using my duty gear and issued pistol. The Department could care less how often an Officer shot a pistol. They only care about him qualifying.

Most Officers view qualification as something to be endured and a pain in the neck. The number of Officers in the Department that are "gun guys" can be counted on two hands, generally. And we all knew who those guys were on the street too.

That is about the reality everywhere, in my experience.

I don't know how the Feds do it.

HandyAndy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Fort Wayne (SWAC)
    From 1994 to 2006 the City of Ft Wayne PD supplied my ammo. We qualified once a year and were told that we would get 50 round box of ammo per month for our own practice when I was in the Academy.

In all that time, I could never get that 50 round box. I just supplied my own for all the local matches that I shot every month using my duty gear and issued pistol. The Department could care less how often an Officer shot a pistol. They only care about him qualifying.

Most Officers view qualification as something to be endured and a pain in the neck. The number of Officers in the Department that are "gun guys" can be counted on two hands, generally. And we all knew who those guys were on the street too.

That is about the reality everywhere, in my experience.

I don't know how the Feds do it.

Seconded. I know of more than a few who shoot only when required to qualify. I too have trouble getting any more than my initial box (the one I got when I was issued my pistol) There are others, like sloughfoot and I, that try and shoot our duty gear as much as possible providing our own ammo.

:twocents:

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    They have contracts to fill, and they are facing spending cuts. If they spend the money now it is already gone. If they try to spend it six months from now, they may not be able to. It isnt a conspiracy theory, this sort of thing happened all the time but no one paid much attention.

NumberCruncher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Hamilton Co
    Wait, so you guys are telling me that local PD does not provide practice ammo to it's officers? So what, you're issued enough to fill a few mags and expected to account for any rounds that are discharged? If that's true, then I guess it's possible that some officers could go months with the same ammo in his duty pistol without any parts moving at all. ??

And am I the only one that's shocked that "only a handful" of LEO's are proficient with their weapon?? :eek: Suddenly my choice to become armed is looking better and better.

Top Bottom