• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I know noone can give a definite answer but any signs of this "panic" being over ?

All I want to do is go shooting but I am scared to burn through any ammo because the shelves are bare.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Ammo will continue to flow through the channels, just not as fast as people would like. It is the demand that has spiked recently, there is no reduction in ammo produced. At this time, there are no signs that ammo will have the same kinds of restrictions that might affect guns, so I'm not concerned about such a restriction in the future.

That said, it would be good to build up a stock over time and/or take up reloading. Also, if you aren't already, you might want to shoot more .22s. They are much cheaper than other rounds, are fun to shoot and can be bought in larger quantities.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Now would be a good time to know someone who works in a retail environment who could give heads up on deliveries (and/or hold something back). You KNOW that's going on. I need more friends.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Where are you?

Are there any good sites out there that lay out the basics of reloading for a novice?

If you're anywhere near Indy check with Profire Arms. By all accounts their reloading classes are outstanding. I've been reloading for several years but I'm still considering taking a class at Profire. I don't see any way online info could match first hand experience.

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    What calibers? How often do you shoot? How much do you expend during a range session? How much do you have on hand? For me, if I have over 1000rds I feel good about lasting through the nonsense. Other calibers that I'm short on are a different story. 8mm mauser is getting harder to find in the surplus spam cans (my preference) I like to buy. I never have much .303 on hand because I don't shoot my enfield much. If I find some 8mm out there I'll probably pay more because it was getting harder to find pre-spazout. You will be able to get ammo, it will just take awhile for the stupidity premium to come down.

Last edited:

ShelbyCo.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    Marietta
    I refuse to pay the inflated prices when you can still by 223 at Wal-Mart for 7.88 /box. I know it is hit and miss but I have managed to get a few hundred rounds in just a couple weeks just by checking in periodically. They stock the shelves around 10p.m. (at least in my area). I also picked up 200 rounds at Bass Pro yesterday @ 9.99 a box.:twocents:

Hurley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Georgetown, IN
    Are there any good sites out there that lay out the basics of reloading for a novice?

I started reloading about 6 months ago and am by no means an expert. If you are interested I would check out YouTube first. There are at least a hundred videos folks have done on reloading, that is where I started. Next, check in your local are for a store that sells reloading supplies. If you can find a store that specializes in reloading supplies, check there. Some of them even have classes for the beginner. I found that local guns stores that have a small section of reloading supplies are generally not very helpful these days. They are too busy selling guns and ammo.

Reloading is not hard, but you have to have patience and pay close attention to detail so you don't hurt yourself or your firearms. IMHO it is a great hobby, and it can save you money in the long run. The only problems I have encountered is that since I make my own ammo, I tend to shoot more, and the initial outlay for equipment, components and other toys, I don't think I will ever save any money. :)

When the ammo case at Wal-mart is bare, like it is a lot these days, I don't worry as much. I just go home and spend a few hours in my basement and crank out what I need.

bluegrassrules

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    I am with cg21, I have a good SHTF supply but do not want to tap into it. All I really want is some 22lr...
    Cheers

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    My son & I have been reloading for well over 20 years, in many rifle and pistol calibers - also mold most handgun bullets and some rifle. One of the best ways to learn in my opinion is to purchase a couple of reloading books - (doesn't have to be the newest issue to have a LOT of information and the same basic info). I would recommend Hornady, Lee, Lyman or Speer. They all have the basic methods of reloading explained, Hornady is in my opinion the best as far as explaining all the basics as well as much advanced practices. Of course they all have most of the reloading data as far as brass length, powder charges, bullet weights, dimensions, etc. If you decide to start reloading, I would recommend a "Lee" single stage kit. They are fairly inexpensive and do the same thing as any turret or progressive press - just slower. Slower is not a bad thing when your beginning. Warning: reloading is much like shooting - it can be a very engrossing hobby, you will find you can not only shoot much cheaper, but can "custom tailor" rounds that are more accurate (or more deadly for game) in your firearm. I have heard nothing but good about the classes Profire in Indy holds, and sounds like it might really shorten the learning curve. My son and I are not really interested as we have a great deal of experience, (some learned the hard way) in producing ammo now.

ZOMBIE2012

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    I STARTED RELOADING TO,A BUDDY OF MINE OWNS A RANGE AND HE GIVES ME ALL THE BRASS HE PICKS UP. BUT BETTER GET IN ON IT FAST,BECAUSE THE PRICES ON RELOADING SUPPLIES ARE GOING UP AND GETTING HARDER TO COME BY

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Right after the Connecticut thing, I saw Wal-mart had the 100 round boxes of Federal 9mm. I bought the last 6 they had on the shelf at that time. Glad I did too. But boy, that was the first time I was actually nervous from buying anything gun/ammo related. So I'm set for a while now as I don't go to the range that often.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    went into walmart today.... website said they had ammo in stock... got there at 8am..... the guy was very rude and said I was about an hour late there is a line on this day because the truck comes in and shelves are stocked at 7am.

baddyna96

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Demotte, IN.
    From what I'm hearing, 8-9 months before manufacturers are caught up. The majority goes first to military then law enforcement and finally to the consumer market.

Top Bottom