• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Just thought I would share my experiences, with my .22 rifles and pistol.

Buckamrk-I normally just shoot the CCI min-mags which work great. They also love the hyper velocity, such as yellow jackets, stingers, velocitors. I have also had good luck with Remington sub-sonic.

597-Chews up bulk, high velocity, hyper velocity, and sub sonics no problem. Have not found a round it will not fire.

925R- Loves bulk, and high velocity. Hyper velocity changes the POI. Sighted at 50 yards. Have not found a round it does not like.

MKIIFV-Hates bulk, but loves high velocity rounds. Hyper velocity again change the POI. Sighted at 100 yards. Bulk is to inconsistent.

KEL-TEC SU22-Loves the hyper velocity, bulk. Hates any kind of CCI. Will not cycle the bolt with sub-sonics. Also will not cycle Remington golden bullet.

This is just a quick lay out, of what I have experienced. I am always trying to find, and try new .22 rounds as I can.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    if the gun won't shoot federal bulk pack, and cannot be modified to do so, i do not keep it... the purpose of my .22's is cheap practice, and federal bulk pack bought by the case is the cheapest..... federal also seems to be the best of the cheap bulk packs in my experience.... i HATE remington .22's

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Interesting seeing how different guns react to different ammo. Do you generally notice a difference in accuracy with standard velocity rounds vs hyper velocity rounds?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    At longer distances I do. Like my Savage for example. I sighted it using high velocity rounds. If I use hyper velocity, the POI is way off. Bulk is all over the paper. That's at 100 yards. Now with my Marlin, the bulk works great at 50 yards. At 25 yards I can tell no difference between high, and hyper velocity. Just because a .22 wil not fire bulk, does not mean it's not worth keeping. I can still buy 100 round boxes of CCI for $7. That's pretty much all I shoot through my Buckmark. However I'm going to pick up some Remington sub-sonics because they funtion well. I have found that .22's are more picky then any other caliber I have ever shot, and or owned.

outlaw2842

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    if the gun won't shoot federal bulk pack, and cannot be modified to do so, i do not keep it... the purpose of my .22's is cheap practice, and federal bulk pack bought by the case is the cheapest..... federal also seems to be the best of the cheap bulk packs in my experience.... i HATE remington .22's
    the only .22 ammo i buy is the federal .22 bulk packs.their usually the cheapest.and they will run flawlessly thru all of my .22 rifles.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    If I had to choose only one .22 ammo to use in all my .22 firearms, it would be Wolf Match Target. My older match rifles really shoot it well. Many rimfire pistols can be "tuned" to shoot just about any ammo with a spring change. Over the years, I've found that the sub-sonic ammo is usually more accurate.

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I personally will not buy ammo to suit any gun. If it don't eat the cheap stuff I let someone else feed it. But that's just how I feel.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If I had to choose only one .22 ammo to use in all my .22 firearms, it would be Wolf Match Target. My older match rifles really shoot it well. Many rimfire pistols can be "tuned" to shoot just about any ammo with a spring change. Over the years, I've found that the sub-sonic ammo is usually more accurate.

If it ever came down to using a .22 for SD, I would much rather use a high, or hyper velocity. I do agree that sub-sonics may be a bit more accurate. Fom my experience though not by much really. Now if we where talking +100 yards I could see. My :twocents:

Ter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Pekin / Washington Co.
    I own a Henry Golden Boy and it shots them all. I took my new Kel-Tec SU-22 to the range first time yesterday and went through 350+ rounds of the Federal bulk .22lr with out a hiccup and very accurate.

Top Bottom