• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • starcrack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    Talked to a gun shop guy today and he claimed that AKs tear up brass casings so it's difficult to reload your own loads for an AK47. That is kind of a deal breaker for me. Is it true they usually only use steel casings and it's impossible/more difficult to reload with a press like Dillon 550?

Was thinking about purchasing a rifle in that caliber range but I'd like to load my own ammo, since I have access to a 550 and it will just be a matter of buying the dies, and I'll be firing a LOT. I currently use it for reloading 9mm pistol ammo exclusively.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Having loaded 7.62x39 for an AK, the gunshop guy is a bit off. The really rough, fast and raucus loads will tear up the brass fairly quickly, particularly when folks are trying to recreate factory Wolf or similar. You will notice a huge difference in accuracy, mostly as lighter loads aren't banging the bolt into the reciever and making the gun flex as bad. Lighter loads also wont shove the brass as hard in the action, eject MUCH more consistantly (neater, closer to shooter pile) and will notice far less cycling marks on the brass.

I have reloaded steel casings, but they are hard to find in Boxer primed condition. Its not terribly fun (too much lube to get them reloading smooth) and split case necks every time after second shot. Really not worth it.

The deal breaker with loading 7.62x39 is the cost of the brass. It gets expensive. You can fire alot of factory Winchester, Fiocchi, Remington, etc.. but that gets expensive as well. But the accuracy is much better. In the SKS I have loaded for, the accuracy gets into "dang! that's an SKS" range, about 2MOA with crap loads with optics (poor barrel and terrible crown as well). The AKs I have loaded for have much smoother shooting, noticeably better accuracy (getting into the 2.5-3 MOA range with irons).

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    :+1: for Disposable Heart.

Try and duplicate factory ballistics and you'll get one, maybe two reloads out of a casing.

It's a great cartridge for a single-shot though. That brass will last forever.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    :+1: for Disposable Heart.

Try and duplicate factory ballistics and you'll get one, maybe two reloads out of a casing.

It's a great cartridge for a single-shot though. That brass will last forever.

I'm suprised that there have not been more HandiRifles in that caliber too! Might be a case rim thing. :( I would actually like to have one in 6mm PPC, a cartridge that takes heritage in the 7.62x39! :D

All in all, Remington makes a decent sporter weight bolt action in 7.62 using a Mauser style action. The reason I think folks aren't reporting super accuracy out of them is that they try jamming Wolf into it. I want to get one soon and load for it (plus keep a case of Silver Bear for SHTF :D ). Another option (while Ducks Teeth in finding one) is a Jiang-An Chinese bolt action rifle that pop up here and there on GunBroker. They are a superb rifle (they still have one at Premier Arms I think? ), VERY nice finish, great wood to metal fit, etc... The trigger is phenominal, but the bore looks chromed, something I would not consider necessary (maybe even a detriment in accuracy) to a sporter weight rifle.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    If you're thinking of buying a 798 in 7.62x39, do it soon. Remington isn't importing the Zastava's anymore. That leaves CZ and Ruger as the only two on the block with bolt action repeating 7.62x39's. I'm very tempted to pick one up although I couldn't hunt anything with it here.

I don't know if Rossi uses the same extractor system as H&R does for the 7.62x39 but they are chambering them and they're generally good shooters. I've heard of light primer strike issues with milsurp ammo though. In a single shot situation i'm likely to be handloading anyway.

davers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    I use to own a Ruger Model 77 MKII in 7.62 X 39 m/m and always used brass cases so I could reload. I heard the CZ M-527's are fairly good rifles and have open sight too. I mainly use steel cased ammo in my SKS as reloaded brass cases sometimes hung up or wouldn't feed quite right.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    If you're thinking of buying a 798 in 7.62x39, do it soon. Remington isn't importing the Zastava's anymore. That leaves CZ and Ruger as the only two on the block with bolt action repeating 7.62x39's. I'm very tempted to pick one up although I couldn't hunt anything with it here.

I don't know if Rossi uses the same extractor system as H&R does for the 7.62x39 but they are chambering them and they're generally good shooters. I've heard of light primer strike issues with milsurp ammo though. In a single shot situation i'm likely to be handloading anyway.

Bummer on the Remmy, I know CDNN had a run on them last month. I need to check my cataloge! Also, where can I find a H&R or Rossi in 7.62x39!? I am dying for one for just the purpose of handloading, plus I like the idea of a case of Silver Bear lasting me my entire life as well! :)

Top Bottom