• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Today while shopping at Dunham's I bought my first box of hornady 223. When I took it out and looked at it nothing special stood out. When I got home I compared it to some other ammo and didn't notice any difference. So my question is what's is the big deal about Hornady? Is it more than just appearance or is it just a name.

I didn't get match grade or anything just a normal box. Did I waste my money or will it show at the range?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Appearance is only half the picture. Measure five of the Hornady rounds with a caliper, (OAL). Then do the same with whatever other ammo you have on hand. If you have a scale, weigh those same five rounds as well. See the difference in variance. Just looking is not a solid indicator.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Appearance is only half the picture. Measure five of the Hornady rounds with a caliper, (OAL). Then do the same with whatever other ammo you have on hand. If you have a scale, weigh those same five rounds as well. See the difference in variance. Just looking is not a solid indicator.

This and the quality ammo usually fires more consistently increasing accuracy and reliability.
    I quit using cheap ammo simply because I couldn't justify the savings with the lesser quality ammo.
    Not wanting to sound uppity but I can usually "outshoot" cheap ammo.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Hornady & I will not get along. I've had problems with it and it'll take a long time for it to regain my trust. Bad crimps, bullet pushed in when it hit the feed ramp, couple of primer only squibs, etc. It's the only non-mil surp ammo I've ever had trouble with & the only thing the mil-surp did wrong was not go bang.

Airwolf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Terre Haute, IN
    I have had issues where Hornady will switch components between lots. I had some .308 SSTs that started off with their regular Frontier brand brass and then switched to match brass in another batch and then back again. I've had slugs that varied accuracy-wise from lot to lot as well. I quit using their loaded ammo after that.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Thats interesting! I bought them looking to try some high quality ammo. I hope I dont have the same problems as that. Of course I am not looking to pic berries off trees, but some consistent shooting would be nice.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If you want quality ammo, at bargain prices, take up reloading. I've been very happy with Hornady bullets, but haven't shot much of their factory ammo. The general consensus on their stuff is that it's a little more expensive, but also of good quality. Then again, I am looking to pick berries off trees, so I'll stick to loading my own. :)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Quality ammo is proven to be so by the results on target. I will willingly use Hornady factory match ammo in any high stakes match. I have found it to be up to the task.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Everything Hornady that I have ever shot was top notch. 7.7 Jap, 45 (acp&Colt) .380, 44 Spl, all have been excellent quality. Something else, not as big a deal, the .380 that I have in one of my carry pistols is almost as bright now(after a year in the gun) as some winchester ammo I have taken out of the box. Hornady is a bit pricey compared to some others, but its still far from expensive as compared to others that I have seen in the premium SD ammo market.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom