• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Draftysbrother

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Shelbyville
    I'm wondering if anyone has ever repainted and relabeled surplus ammo cans. I'm stationed in NJ and have picked up quite a few ammo cans of various sizes at a local flea market for pretty cheap. Most are clean and rust free but a couple large navy cans have some surface rust. I separate soon and plan to repaint and re stencil them with my own labels. I want to include caliber, grain, and round count as well as a couple for battery storage. I've sprayed one can with Aervoe Military Vehicle & Recreation Camo Paint in forest green. It meets Federal spec. 595 color standards and is almost identical to the original paint on the can. My question is, what's the best way to prep the can for paint? Is it better to strip the old paint, sand it down, go over it with primer, or just a wipe down and spray over the old, etc? Thanks for any help!

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If I were doing it and really wanted it to last I would not sand it down to bare metal, just clean it up real good with sandpaper and use a self-etching primer before painting.

More than likely I would just clean up rust, scuff it well and hit it with some Krylon or Rustoleum.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Just rough up the surface and sand out any imperfections/rust. Unless you take it down to bare metal, self-etching primer won't help (it etches metal surfaces, not paint). If you end up with any metal showing through, just prime those areas, then rough again and paint.

Other options are to sandblast and repaint, but I doubt you could improve the durability of whats on there now, I'd just paint over it.

flyboy84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Degrease, scuff with sandpaper, Clean with solvent or isopropyl alcohol, and then spray with the color of your choice.

Top Bottom