• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Can I ask you how much the P95 price is at Rajo's? I remember going in a couple months ago and the employee who helped me told me I must have bought my P95 used when I told him I bought it for $309 at Bradis. Rajo's was around $450 IIRC

Aside from the implication that I was an idiot and that I didn't know how to tell a new firearm from a used one, I was blown away at the prices of guns in Rajo's.

I now call Rajo's the "Don's Guns of Evansville."

that was me, sorry i didnt mean to come off like that, i think that its about 390 but the reason i thought it was used was because you said you hadnt taken it apart, and that the spring on the extractor was out of position, i dont think that ruger quality control would have let that gun ship out like that btw is it fixed yet?

as for the dons remark that hurts our ak's are 600 not 1700 after going to the gun show i think our prices are pretty good our .380 was 28.00 per box vs 45.00 at the show, our ar lowers were 150 vs 200 at the show(at the last show somebody had a s&w lower for 275.00 ours was 175.00)

again i'm sorry that i sounded like that i didnt mean too

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    that was me, sorry i didnt mean to come off like that, i think that its about 390 but the reason i thought it was used was because you said you hadnt taken it apart, and that the spring on the extractor was out of position, i dont think that ruger quality control would have let that gun ship out like that btw is it fixed yet?

as for the dons remark that hurts our ak's are 600 not 1700 after going to the gun show i think our prices are pretty good our .380 was 28.00 per box vs 45.00 at the show, our ar lowers were 150 vs 200 at the show(at the last show somebody had a s&w lower for 275.00 ours was 175.00)

again i'm sorry that i sounded like that i didnt mean too

I appreciate your reponse.

Let me explain my reasoning for calling Rajo's "Don's Guns of Evansville."

See, I always play "dumb" when going into gun stores. This is because I have found that going in with a "know it all" attitude leads to arguments and/or pissing contests about gun knowledge, prices, etc.

A few months ago I went in to Don's to look around, because he generally has a pretty decent selection. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but had several in mind.

The guy behind the counter was helpful, only because he assumed I was an idiot. He showed me all the wonderful Taurus's, Hi-Points, etc. He offered a ton of advice, and after getting sick to my stomach from his BS I wanted to see some specific guns. I wanted to see a Glock and compare it to the XD. Now, I only wanted to compare the two so as to not throw him off that I had any idea what was going on. After looking at the $775 Glock 19, I asked to see the XD subcompact. I told him "this is the one for me." So he started getting it out of the case to box up and I said "why are you charging $300 more than other places? I got the famous Don's slogan: "It's always cheaper somewhere else when they don't have it in stock." Of course, I had now had enough; he flat out told me in a different way "because we can get away with it." I told him that another local gun store had them for $469 and I thanked him for his time. I promptly left and bought my XD from the other store, who so happened to have 6 in stock.

IMO, there is no reason to overpay for anything. In the world of guns, there is generally nothing a dealer can do for you after the sale. Some will take care of you (very few) if you have an issue within 30 days of purchase. Most, however, will send you to the manufacturer. Considering this, why would I spend $390 for a gun that can be had for $309? Great customer service is expected from me; not rewarded. If I get great service I'll recommend a store to a friend, but I won't take more money out of my wallet because they remember my name.

It is thanks to Don Davis himself that I began researching cost and normal retail before buying any firearm.

Having said all that, Bradis did take care of the Ruger free of charge. They sent it to a local gunsmith, I had it back in less than 2 weeks, and they gave me a free magazine. This was above and beyond what I ever expected. I knew I wanted another P95, so I then bought another one; this time the stainless version.

As it related to this particular gun, I knew what the problem was. It was a defective hammer pivot pin that caused the ejector to not seat fully. But this wasn't something I was interested in tearing completely apart.

My story aside, it's my belief that in these times, when everyone and their mother is buying a gun, a 10-15% markup is fair to the customers and plenty of profit to the dealer (or at least the ones who sell several per day). Maybe those of us in the Indy area are "spoiled". We have 2 bigger dealers in PSS and Bradis that follow this approach. But knowing what guns can be had for, it bothers me to no end that stores jack up the prices to an astronomical level, simply because there are idiots who won't do their own research.

It's one thing for a private seller to try to manipulate the idiots of the world, but for a business in the community, I think it's flat wrong and shady.

It's not about what's a good price compared to everyone else. It's about what's "perceived to be a good price" by everyone in the know. If you are the only table who has .380 at the show, I still won't pay $28 per box. You and I both know that's 100% profit.

Don't take it personal, it's not your fault (unless you're the owner, of course) - but when I'm in Evansville I'm nothing more than a window shopper in your store. But if I overhear someone inquiring about a gun that I know is overpriced, I will tell them, the consumer, where it can be bought for less. I would do this at any store for any customer.

Just as some stores charge much more to protect their interests, I believe it's up to us consumers to look out for our fellow consumers as it relates to buying something for too much money.

Last edited:

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I visit Rajo's, Red Ghost, Bucks and Jakes mand Strickly almost weekly. just to "check inventory" to see if there happens to be anything I cannot live without. Bucks and Jakes has a nice selection of Glocks and at some of the best prices around. Great guys too. Strictly has a great selection of Black rifles probably 20 prices not too bad but customer service is kind of shaky with some people so I have heard. lately it has been good by my experience. Rajos and RG have their following and I won't say anything bad about either as I have never experienced any bad service from either.I believe it is more in the percieved perception than anything. Some personality types just clash with others. Prices at each store is up to the owner and if it is too high I will not buy plain and simple. I won't stop a consumer from buying at a certain place simply because of the price. I have too much to do and it would be a never ending job. I have a life and some people, me included do not buy based on price alone.

I also visit Daves weekly and buy most everything from him, great people decent prices and a good selection. I've been going there since he opened, it is about 15 minutes from my house and I have been treated very fair. Yes I am sure I may have paid more for some things there than some of the other places. To be honest I seldom price check before I buy.
    Whittakers, sorry just don't care for the place or the fat man, prices are on par with Daves on the stuff I have seen but I just don't buy from them. Although I know several who do.
    If you don't like the store don't buy. If the prices are high, drive 100 miles to save $10. I have better things to do than try to warn others that they could drive a little to save some cash.
    I made the trip to the coveted Brandis one day and came home empty handed I doubt I will make the trip again.

Everyone has their shop and that is cool by me, it leaves more stuff at my local shop for me.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    When did Whittakers start 100 rds. per family per day?
    When I started this thread I just came back with 1000 rds. of 9mm.

Top Bottom