• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Woo Hoo, now you have a daytime back-up!

Still concerned about it going bad so quickly, especially since I just installed a set.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I realized last night that the front sight on my I-Dot Pro set no longer glows. It was still glowing bright as of Coach's draw-stroke class last week. The sights were purchased new directly from Ameriglo in December of 2012.

Sounds like the vial broke and the water leaked out. I have a Kimber Compact that breaks the vial in the Meprolight front sight pretty much every time I shoot it. I got tired of the guy in charge of the Kimber shop (this was years ago) accusing me of "beating on it with a hammer to install it." That was funny because the sight was installed in his shop originally, then replaced twice in his shop. So if anyone had "beat on it with a hammer," it was someone in his shop.

Anyway, it happens. I think some brands are a little more rugged than others, and models for different guns can be as well. I suspect that the thicker the front sight is, the thicker the wall thickness can be on the glass vial inside.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    accusing me of "beating on it with a hammer to install it."

There's a small possibility that I may have beat on it with a hammer (and punch) to install it...

In my defense, it lasted a year and a half after that, so I sincerely doubt my installation had any ill effect on the sight.

Anyone have a sight pusher I could use for a few minutes? I really can't see paying someone $50 to install a front sight.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have a generic version you are welcome to.

Used it on 3 different M&Ps. One went perfect, one was a little tight, one was a pain and I ended up using the ole punch to finish it.

Your call, PM me if you wanna try it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There's a small possibility that I may have beat on it with a hammer (and punch) to install it...

In my defense, it lasted a year and a half after that, so I sincerely doubt my installation had any ill effect on the sight.

Anyone have a sight pusher I could use for a few minutes? I really can't see paying someone $50 to install a front sight.

I'm inclined to believe you are correct about not damaging it if it lasted that long.

In general, though, they can tolerate a significant amount of acceleration forward and back, but not so much sideways.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Well, big thanks to Dudley0 for letting me borrow his sight pusher. After trying and giving up and trying again and fiddling with it for a while and cussing and fiddling some more and finally growing with a third hand, I was able to successfully install my replacement sight with out beating on it.

409902495.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well, big thanks to Dudley0 for letting me borrow his sight pusher. After trying and giving up and trying again and fiddling with it for a while and cussing and fiddling some more and finally growing with a third hand, I was able to successfully install my replacement sight with out beating on it.

409902495.jpg

I love that front sight. Very quick acquisition and surprisingly accurate. I've had one on my carry gun for a year and a half. I'd put them on all my guns if I didn't have to buy a front/rear set just to get the front.

FYI - I have a Kimber branded sight pusher if you need one again.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I love that front sight. Very quick acquisition and surprisingly accurate. I've had one on my carry gun for a year and a half. I'd put them on all my guns if I didn't have to buy a front/rear set just to get the front.

FYI - I have a Kimber branded sight pusher if you need one again.

I will need that some day!

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County

Maybe I should just send you my slide so you can install the XS BD set on my compact.

Looks nice, professional even.

Top Bottom