• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    So because the OP wants to support this country by purchasing only from American companies, your going to become a smarta$$ and question his patriotism.

He insinuated the patriotic hypocrisy, I simply responded to it.

Sorry pal but I agree with buying from American companies and strengthening our country,

Don't be sorry, Obama needs long term, deep thinkers like yourself. I bet if you try hard, you can spend your way to success in this market, huh?

you go ahead and buy from whomever you want

I will buy from wherever I want, as I previously explained, I earned it.

but when your job lays you off cause they can't compete with companies from overseas (and their cheap labor) lets see how well your smarta$$ feeds you.

You're comparing labor and quality of Mikuro, Beretta, Benelli, and Glock to labor and quality at Ruger, Savage, and Hi Point? Really? That is the lamest arguement I've heard this week, congratulations.

We're discussing English and Euporean manufactures versus American, are you trying to muddy the waters and discuss Chinese guns? Are there any chinese guns?

I work in manufacturing right here in the US of A, and talk like yours make me laugh. Cat, Deere, Joy, I work on the best. We're not asking for protectionism. You are.

What are your thoughts on Japanese versus American cars, and unions versus non-union?

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    So because the OP wants to support this country by purchasing only from American companies, your going to become a smarta$$ and question his patriotism.

He insinuated the patriotic hypocrisy, I simply responded to it.

How the hell can you call his post patriotic hypocrisy when he is advocating buying American products. You on the other hand are coming off like some type of Obama poster child by trying to make it sound patriotic to buy foreign. Good ahead and keep on double talking maybe you will actually convince yourself.

Sorry pal but I agree with buying from American companies and strengthening our country,

Don't be sorry, Obama needs long term, deep thinkers like yourself. I bet if you try hard, you can spend your way to success in this market, huh?

I'm not going to answer this with what I really would like to cause the invitation that I would extend to you would get me banned.

you go ahead and buy from whomever you want

I will buy from wherever I want, as I previously explained, I earned it.

Thats right go ahead and buy from who ever you want, it is your right, and congratulate yourself as you help to weaken this country just like your President.

but when your job lays you off cause they can't compete with companies from overseas (and their cheap labor) lets see how well your smarta$$ feeds you.

You're comparing labor and quality of Mikuro, Beretta, Benelli, and Glock to labor and quality at Ruger, Savage, and Hi Point? Really? That is the lamest arguement I've heard this week, congratulations.

I'll take a Ruger, Kimber, Smith and Wesson, Mossberg any day of the week. Speaking of lame arguments you may want to re-read some of yours pal.

We're discussing English and Euporean manufactures versus American, are you trying to muddy the waters and discuss Chinese guns? Are there any chinese guns?

I work in manufacturing right here in the US of A, and talk like yours make me laugh. Cat, Deere, Joy, I work on the best. We're not asking for protectionism. You are.

Damn right I am.

What are your thoughts on Japanese versus American cars, and unions versus non-union?

You can read them in a thread that was discussed earlier this week.

Ted Vaughan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Most of my guns are American made. Parker, L.C. Smith, Ithica, Remington, Colt, Baker, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Winchester, etc.-- Some were not - Ugartechea, Merkel, Beretta, Mauser, Walther etc. With very few exceptions, all were purchased as "USED" firearms. Who got jobs from my purchases? Answer - People from everywhere. The hunter who sold me his Ithica Model 37 used the money I paid him to buy something that probably was made in the USA (maybe not). The money I paid to a dealer for a Walther might have been used to acquire a Wetherby. Anybody who thinks that we are not in a WORLD MARKET is simply engaged in wishful thinking that we can go back to 1850.

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    Economics trumps idealism every single time. By supporting protectionist policy, you reject the very idea upon which American economics is based - capitalism.

It's easy to see protectionism as the answer in sour economic times, but protracted engagement in protectionist policy through hampered competition only hurts domestic manufacturers in the global market by reducing the necessity of innovation. Don't forget - we do export goods.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    We export really? No I know just a joke I understand what you are saying but I find it hard to believe that even with capitalism we will ever be able to bring back American manufacturing jobs. I believe that manufacturing jobs are very important for us being that not everyone can be an engineer. Oh I also believe that it is important for us to bring anything that is part of our war machinery be built here. Why did we beat the axis it is because we had a large manufacturing capacity to keep our war machine running. Maybe it is a pipe dream but all of our equipment needs to have the ability of being made here. (I also believe this should pertain to the electronics in our war machines as well.)

Protectionist may be bad but I still believe in buying American and by buying American I hope that the companies are investing the money to be more competitive in price and quality because as Walmart has proven cheap price or the belief that it is cheaply priced wins everytime.

So lets believe in America and build faith in our workers and companies. Oh but first we need to change the most recent generations to take pride in there work and teach them to actually work. Yes I am part of generation X and I am ashamed of a lot of my generation.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    The profits go to the country where the companies are based.

They may employ some American workers at their plants but the "real" money goes to the home country......

Honda just spent $550 million in Greensburg to build a new plant.

Toyota just spent $450 million in Princeton to add a new production line, and $203 million at the Subaru plant in Lafayette to build Camry.

The Indiana workers employed at those plants would argue the money they are being paid is QUITE REAL.

Especially those that were displaced from "American" companies here in Indiana the past few years - such as:

General Electric - Bloomington
    United Technologies - North Manchester
    Borg Warner - Muncie
    Perfect Circle - Rochester
    Emerson - Logansport
    Olin - Indianapolis
    Eaton - Winamac
    Oxford - Hamilton
    Rockwell - Mishawaka
    Tenneco - Culver
    Dana - Kendallville & Anderson
    Chrysler - Kokomo/Indianapolis
    Delphi - Kokomo
    Ford/Visteon - Connersville/Indianapolis
    Whirlpool - Evansville

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    This all reminds me of a conversation I had at the Brickyard in 2007.

The Toyota's were being booed by the crowd. I looked over at a fellow that work(ed) for Chevrolet Division, and another that work(ed) for Daimler Chrysler on my other side, I was under the employ of Ford Motor Company.

And asked "Do you figure anybody knows know that's the only American built car in the field?"

Impala - Oshawa, Ontario
    Fusion - Hermosillo, Mexico
    Charger - Brampton, Ontario
    Camry - Georgetown, Kentucky, USA

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Honda just spent $550 million in Greensburg to build a new plant.

Toyota just spent $450 million in Princeton to add a new production line, and $203 million at the Subaru plant in Lafayette to build Camry.

The Indiana workers employed at those plants would argue the money they are being paid is QUITE REAL.

Especially those that were displaced from "American" companies here in Indiana the past few years - such as:

General Electric - Bloomington
    United Technologies - North Manchester
    Borg Warner - Muncie
    Perfect Circle - Rochester
    Emerson - Logansport
    Olin - Indianapolis
    Eaton - Winamac
    Oxford - Hamilton
    Rockwell - Mishawaka
    Tenneco - Culver
    Dana - Kendallville & Anderson
    Chrysler - Kokomo/Indianapolis
    Delphi - Kokomo
    Ford/Visteon - Connersville/Indianapolis
    Whirlpool - Evansville

Well your replies shows a basic lack of understanding of what I mean by the "real" money.

1st all the profits go back to Japan where the companies reinvest in their homeland. So kudos to the foreign car plants employ a handful of Indana workers! The amount of profit is huge. Also 1st and 2nd tier suppliers are based in Japan. I wonder how many more Indiana jobs there would be if the breaks were given to the American auto companies and we were using 1st and 2nd tier suppliers that were in America? pProbably "quite real" as well.
    I don't know the exact answer but that's something to reasearch. I'll bet it's many times the paltry $653 million they spent on plants here.

Impala - Oshawa, Ontario Profit to USA
    Fusion - Hermosillo, Mexico Profit to USA

Charger - Brampton, Ontario Profit to USA

Camry - Georgetown, Kentucky, USA Profit to Japan

2nd how much of that $653 million you mentioned is invested because of tax breaks given to those companies by the state and/or federal government?

3rd Before you or anyone rags on American car quality I'll say this. If you haven't bought one in the last 10 years you have a bad estimate from which to work with. American cars are very close in quality. Especially Ford and some GM products. Also look at teh recall and quality hits Toyota has taken in the last few years. I grew up in and lived most of my life in the home of the US auto industry. Trust me the foreign car plants have done the American workers no favors.

Now I don't agree with the bailouts to the companies. GM would have survived by contracting further and Chrysler would have died but it would have been the natural order.

So to each his own.It's your right to continue to support companies whose profits , and therefore the bulk of the industrial dollar, goes to be reinvested overseas.

Please, be proud of rocking the "American made" :rolleyes:Japanese car you own in your effort to fill the coffers of the Japanese economy!
    Whether you like it or not that's what you're doing.
    So am I when I buy a TV or radio.
    It's complex subject but please don't toute how awsome the foreign companies are because they build plants here with huge tax breaks in order to avoid import tarriffs.......

Now off to your Camry..... and /or your Japanese paymasters:D

Last edited:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Most of my guns are American made. Parker, L.C. Smith, Ithica, Remington, Colt, Baker, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Winchester, etc.-- Some were not - Ugartechea, Merkel, Beretta, Mauser, Walther etc. With very few exceptions, all were purchased as "USED" firearms. Who got jobs from my purchases? Answer - People from everywhere. The hunter who sold me his Ithica Model 37 used the money I paid him to buy something that probably was made in the USA (maybe not). The money I paid to a dealer for a Walther might have been used to acquire a Wetherby. Anybody who thinks that we are not in a WORLD MARKET is simply engaged in wishful thinking that we can go back to 1850.

Welcome to the group! Not only is he a collector of fine weapons, but has both eyes open. Congratulations Sir!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Ok guys. I see alot of lip service. Buy a Glock, a Miroku, what ever. Send American money to Austria, Japan, Brazil. I don't want to hear BOO-HOO's when your job goes south or overseas like Winchester. Their pre-64 weapons were the highest quality. Sounds like some of you are selective about your patriotism. It's sad

You are a hypocrite. You have spent your money where you wanted, and now that "you're all stocked up" on foriegn goods, you're recommending that I quit shopping a world market just because you're done? For what reason?

Are you carring this "American" buying model to other parts of your house and life, giving up foreign made product always, or is this just convenient, and easy, to show your "patriotism". You sent a post from a computer, was it a Chevy?

End the post with a comment on "Don't tread on me", while stomping on someone else. Nice!

Hypocrite:a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I wonder how many more Indiana jobs there would be if the breaks were given to the American auto companies and we were using 1st and 2nd tier suppliers that were in America?

I wonder how many more Delphi employees would be out of work if they weren't building bits for the very plants that I mention above.

Surely you've already considered that, as you've got everything else completely figured out.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Buy American sounds good in theory, but truly isolationist purchasing hurts both foreign and domestic producers, as well as domestic and foreign producers.

That's my $0.02

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There's a certain naivety that comes from people who insist on buying American made products, because otherwise "you're being un-american" or some vague claims about harming the economy. In today's world, there's no such thing as a solely American market. Everything is globalized, whether you like it or not, and it makes absolutely no difference whether you buy things American made or not. As has already been pointed out, whether it's manufactured here or not, someone has a job because of it, be they the retailer, the customer service, the local representaion or what have you.

And, frankly, Americans don't make guns as well as Germans and Austrians do.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am, 90% of it was made in Canada and Mexico, just assembled in the US.

I for one am fine with Mexicans working for a dollar an hour making injection molded plastic pieces in a factory. They ship it to the US and GM pays someone $40 an hour to put it on a car. We get all the benefits, and as a side benefit we help a poor Mexican family put food on there table and they dont have to turn to running drugs. Win, win. :)

GM was killed because they had idiot leaders. Cost of producing there product had nothing to do with it.

Americans don't make guns as well as Germans and Austrians do.
    Sadly as much as I love fine American weapons I have to agree there. That said, I just cant afford most of the ones made over there.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    All good points. There's nothing wrong with supporting your favorite mark.
    BMW owners a dissapointed on rare occasion. Even chevrolet has been doing better in quality than they were 5 years ago. Moreso than 10 years ago.

When it comes to firearms, we're limited as consumers to what we like and what is available from any given manufacturer.

Glocks are sweet, but are missing something I need.
    Kimbers are beautiful and are beyond my means.
    CZ's are just right, but my ex is czech.
    Etc. Etc. Etc.

Just please, please promise to not buy chinese guns and ammo when they infiltrate our markets. ;)

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    This all reminds me of a conversation I had at the Brickyard in 2007.

The Toyota's were being booed by the crowd. I looked over at a fellow that work(ed) for Chevrolet Division, and another that work(ed) for Daimler Chrysler on my other side, I was under the employ of Ford Motor Company.

And asked "Do you figure anybody knows know that's the only American built car in the field?"

Impala - Oshawa, Ontario
    Fusion - Hermosillo, Mexico
    Charger - Brampton, Ontario
    Camry - Georgetown, Kentucky, USA

I agree there, People can't accept change! I am a proud Jeep driving American but you bet your *** I would buy a Honda, Toyota or Volkswagen any day of the week. You know why, They know what they are doing! Did you see them asking the government for billions upon billions? No. The grossly overpaid UAW workers were all tore up about losing a few dollars an hour, while in my union at Cummins a lot of people weren't even making what they started at! I'll admit getting paid that much would be nice but look where greed got the US and the rest of the world!

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I re-read this...

With the Obamaconomy creating 10%+ unemployment with no end in sight. Isn't it about time we think about buying American made firearms and accessories? Smith & Wesson, Remington, Mossberg, Bushmaster, Ruger, Henry, even....ahem...Hi Point. We might want to think about an American's job before we purchase a new Taurus, Sig, Glock, Rossi, Browning, Beretta, etc. And don't forget ammo, scopes and mounts, cases, accessory rails. The list goes on and on. We get all patriotic and puffed up and say "DON'T TREAD ON ME", with a Glock in our pocket. Winchester used to be ALL AMERICAN!! Hell's bells it's owned by Europeans and made in Japan! AAAGH! :xmad: I must admit, that I have bought my share of used foreign weapons in my life. Buy-sell-trade. But I am driving a stake down right now! All new guns, ammo, accessories, hunting clothes, you name it, will be American made.
    PS. I pray that Obama becomes an unemployment statistic.

... to see if protectionism or other" stuff "was as bad as others claim. sonovasailor used his 1st Amendment right to convey his dis-pleasure with the current political and economic climate. He says he will buy all American guns and related equipment from now on. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT? The man may (for now) spend his post tax $ how he sees fit! He isn't stopping anyone else from doing the same. Now, others disagree, and used their 1st Amend. rights to say so. Good for you also! But i agree with sonovasailor,wtfd661, and Cygnus and rep'd them:patriot:

Top Bottom