• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    With the Obamaconomy creating 10%+ unemployment with no end in sight. Isn't it about time we think about buying American made firearms and accessories? Smith & Wesson, Remington, Mossberg, Bushmaster, Ruger, Henry, even....ahem...Hi Point. We might want to think about an American's job before we purchase a new Taurus, Sig, Glock, Rossi, Browning, Beretta, etc. And don't forget ammo, scopes and mounts, cases, accessory rails. The list goes on and on. We get all patriotic and puffed up and say "DON'T TREAD ON ME", with a Glock in our pocket. Winchester used to be ALL AMERICAN!! Hell's bells it's owned by Europeans and made in Japan! AAAGH! :xmad: I must admit, that I have bought my share of used foreign weapons in my life. Buy-sell-trade. But I am driving a stake down right now! All new guns, ammo, accessories, hunting clothes, you name it, will be American made.
    PS. I pray that Obama becomes an unemployment statistic.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I wish there was a list somewhere of what guns are actually made in the states. Half the "American" brands you listed sell foreign made guns and/or are foreign owned. I hope someone more knowledgeable than me has a list or can go into some detail.

Where do you find clothing made in the states? Heck, a lot of our food isn't even made or grown in the states. but then again, this is getting away from general guns.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I always try to buy American if it meets the following criteria:

1. It is of competitive quality with the competition.
    2. It has competitive performance.
    3. It is reasonably competitive in price.
    4. It is as readily available as the competition.

I've bought all American made guns, so far, as well as accessories, with the exception of a Nikon Coyote Special scope.

I think American products get a bum rap. I've had great luck with lots of American products, including all of my firearms.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I wish there was a list somewhere of what guns are actually made in the states. Half the "American" brands you listed sell foreign made guns and/or are foreign owned. I hope someone more knowledgeable than me has a list or can go into some detail.

Where do you find clothing made in the states? Heck, a lot of our food isn't even made or grown in the states. but then again, this is getting away from general guns.

A firearm will say where it is made. Some will try to fool you. The Springfield XDs will say something like Sprinfield Arms, ?????, MA, USA, but the thing is not made in the USA. I think they are made in Croatia.

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    One problem is that America has become a nation of consumers instead of producers. China, India, and others have taken over the production for us. That is why it is important to support small American companies. But American companies have to be more competitive with prices. Of course our wonderful government is contributing to that by taxing business more than most companies in the world. Also, just because a gun company is foreign does not mean that it doesn't contribute to our economy. Some companies have manufacturing plants here in the states that hire American workers. Glock, Inc. for instance.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    One problem is that America has become a nation of consumers instead of producers. China, India, and others have taken over the production for us. That is why it is important to support small American companies. But American companies have to be more competitive with prices. Of course our wonderful government is contributing to that by taxing business more than most companies in the world. Also, just because a gun company is foreign does not mean that it doesn't contribute to our economy. Some companies have manufacturing plants here in the states that hire American workers. Glock, Inc. for instance.

All true. It isn't always a simple equation any more.

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    A firearm will say where it is made. Some will try to fool you. The Springfield XDs will say something like Sprinfield Arms, ?????, MA, USA, but the thing is not made in the USA. I think they are made in Croatia.

Isnt there a huge roll mark right in the middle of the TOP of the slides that say SA/croatia on xd's, and xdm's? Seems like a silly place to "hide" it.:dunno:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    We might want to think about an American's job before we purchase a new Taurus, Sig, Glock, Rossi, Browning, Beretta, etc.

Lets do think about an American's job, shall we?

How many folks do you figure are directly or indirectly employed in the US because of those companies and their products (whether or not they are manufactured in the US or not)?

Off the top of my head:

Marketing
    Legal Counsel
    Packaging Materials
    Creative Design and Printing Companies
    Shipping and Trucking
    Governmental Affairs
    Sales - Retail Dealer Support
    Sales - LEO Support
    Technical Support/Repair/Training
    Trade Show Support - Construction, Setup, Takedown

Not to mention the entire retail body that are generating a profit in selling these products, and the people in their employ.

All of these companies are paying taxes and wages in the USA to workers that are paying taxes just like most of us.

Where the final point of assembly is for the product is irrelevant to me.

For a working rifle, I'd much rather have a Miroku built Winchester than most of the garbage that came out of New Haven over the last 20 years.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I started a thread a while back trying to come up with such a list. I will look for it and try to get it put in here. If some one better at that kinds of stuff can do it please have at it.

If I knew how to rep I would rep the OP:patriot:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    With the Obamaconomy creating 10%+ unemployment

Nope. He can't fix it, I'll give you that, but he didn't create it. Greed did, a temporary situation, but a serious one. The market needed to reset. It did. It is recovering nicely.

Isn't it about time we think about buying American made firearms and accessories? Smith & Wesson, Remington, Mossberg, Bushmaster, Ruger, Henry, even....ahem...Hi Point.

Nope, they don't provide the products I desire.

We might want to think about an American's job before we purchase a new Taurus, Sig, Glock, Rossi, Browning, Beretta, etc. And don't forget ammo, scopes and mounts, cases, accessory rails. The list goes on and on.

Yup, love those companies. They have worked hard and have taken risks to provide product that are the best, and I trade my hard earned cash for those fine products. Ahhhh Capitalism!!

We get all patriotic ...

So you're all for whining and market protection? How patriotic! Yup, that's what our soldiers have fought for!!

Congratulations, you've now brought us to the lowest possible level, the democrate's will be along shortly to confiscate your "Man Card".

I can see the ads now "Can't think, can't work? Turn inward and be bitter!! Ignore the hard work of the rest of the world and ***** at the successes of the "WORKING CLASS"!! America, home to mediocre, (since we gave up)!!

All new guns, ammo, accessories, hunting clothes, you name it, will be American made.

If you really meant it, you'd throw them all away now. Damned those successful capitalists!! Damned them all!! (sarcasm font needed)

Don't wish him out now, if you give up, you'll need a good government program to support you, you know, if you can't compete.

Merry Christmas, I'm going to the gun room to clean my Glocks, Berettas, and Brownings.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Even if your computer has an AMD processor - how much of the device you're using right now is of united states origin?

Look, it's important to make the effort to buy domestically when possible. Heck, buy locally when it makes sense. But if there is a fine product made by a craftsman outside of the U.S., I'm going to give it a fair shot.
    I've made a vow to avoid chinese goods at all costs. That's a lot more difficult than it sounds. Firearms and equipment, no problem. Everything else in the world seems to have a chinese competitor.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    So where do you all think the profits go when we buy foreign made products?

The profits go to the country where the companies are based. This is true not only for guns but cars, elctronics, clothing, washing machines, etc.

They may employ some American workers at their plants but the "real" money goes to the home country......

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    With the Obamaconomy creating 10%+ unemployment

Nope. He can't fix it, I'll give you that, but he didn't create it. Greed did, a temporary situation, but a serious one. The market needed to reset. It did. It is recovering nicely.

Isn't it about time we think about buying American made firearms and accessories? Smith & Wesson, Remington, Mossberg, Bushmaster, Ruger, Henry, even....ahem...Hi Point.

Nope, they don't provide the products I desire.

We might want to think about an American's job before we purchase a new Taurus, Sig, Glock, Rossi, Browning, Beretta, etc. And don't forget ammo, scopes and mounts, cases, accessory rails. The list goes on and on.

Yup, love those companies. They have worked hard and have taken risks to provide product that are the best, and I trade my hard earned cash for those fine products. Ahhhh Capitalism!!

We get all patriotic ...

So you're all for whining and market protection? How patriotic! Yup, that's what our soldiers have fought for!!

Congratulations, you've now brought us to the lowest possible level, the democrate's will be along shortly to confiscate your "Man Card".

I can see the ads now "Can't think, can't work? Turn inward and be bitter!! Ignore the hard work of the rest of the world and ***** at the successes of the "WORKING CLASS"!! America, home to mediocre, (since we gave up)!!

All new guns, ammo, accessories, hunting clothes, you name it, will be American made.

If you really meant it, you'd throw them all away now. Damned those successful capitalists!! Damned them all!! (sarcasm font needed)

Don't wish him out now, if you give up, you'll need a good government program to support you, you know, if you can't compete.

Merry Christmas, I'm going to the gun room to clean my Glocks, Berettas, and Brownings.

So because the OP wants to support this country by purchasing only from American companies, your going to become a smarta$$ and question his patriotism. Sorry pal but I agree with buying from American companies and strengthening our country, you go ahead and buy from whomever you want but when your job lays you off cause they can't compete with companies from overseas (and their cheap labor) lets see how well your smarta$$ feeds you. :xmad::xmad:

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    Ok guys. I see alot of lip service. Buy a Glock, a Miroku, what ever. Send American money to Austria, Japan, Brazil. I don't want to hear BOO-HOO's when your job goes south or overseas like Winchester. Their pre-64 weapons were the highest quality. Sounds like some of you are selective about your patriotism. It's sad

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    With the Obamaconomy creating 10%+ unemployment with no end in sight. Isn't it about time we think about buying American made firearms and accessories? Smith & Wesson, Remington, Mossberg, Bushmaster, Ruger, Henry, even....ahem...Hi Point. (Remington sells foriegn made guns and uses foriegn parts as I am sure others do as well) We might want to think about an American's job before we purchase a new Taurus, Sig, Glock, Rossi, Browning, Beretta, etc.(Some of these are assembled here in the US due to the gun laws here in the US at least handguns are) And don't forget ammo, scopes and mounts, cases, accessory rails. The list goes on and on. We get all patriotic and puffed up and say "DON'T TREAD ON ME", with a Glock in our pocket. Winchester used to be ALL AMERICAN!! Hell's bells it's owned by Europeans and made in Japan! AAAGH! :xmad: (Winchester is just a name that is owned by olin and leased the name to a european company) Oh yeah thank the unions for losing some of that work in New England as well I must admit, that I have bought my share of used foreign weapons in my life. Buy-sell-trade. But I am driving a stake down right now! All new guns, ammo, accessories, hunting clothes, you name it, will be American made.

Now I do agree with trying to buy American whenever possible but remember things are not always as they seem. We must do what we can to support the American work and American companies. However don't get angry just do what you can and encourage others by showing the benefits you got by buying American. I have spent more for a Ithaca Shotgun out of Ohio for that reason as well as loving older guns that are great examples of American manufacturing. I also love my Glocks (Smyrna, GA Assembly), Sig Sauers (NH Assembly), Walther (Maine Assembly). I am sure you can find a buyer here for those foreign guns on here. Oh yeah and my spelling is horrible thank my teachers.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Understand what the op is trying to say. The majority of my Guns excluding my Xd, and Beretta are not made in the U.S. However typicaly, but not always foriegn ammo tends to be cheaper. Like Rural king as PMC 9mm for $11.99. Yeah I can drive to Seymour, and buy Blazer for $15.00. That's $3.00 a box plus gas. With the economy, I will find a better deal whenever I can. Now if the economy wasd strong, and the cost of living was down, then I would have no problem paying more for certain products.

Top Bottom