• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    I did try four 30 round European mags, and four new 20 round Hungarian mags, they are the ones that are loose. They all fit tight in my Romanian SAR1.
    The problem is I find out now, that these rifles were made for single stack mags, and when they got here in the USA, that they opened them up to fit the Tapco mags.

The Tapco mags are a little bigger, and my Tapco mag fits tight in the rifle. What they should have done, is made the mag well to fit the regular Ak mags. The Tapco gas piston should have been used a for compliante
    part.

They just want you to buy Tapco mags.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I also have a SAR 1, and all the mags fit the same in both rifles. I wouldn't like loose mag fit either. I have heard of using JB weld to build up the mag well a little to tighten up the mags, but I don't know how well that would work. I think I would try for a different one with no issues.

Dave

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Unfortunately thanks to ATF rewriting the second amendment to include a sporting purpose, all AK variants that look like AK/AKMs entering the country come in with receivers set up to only use single stack mags. It all depends on how well the mag well is opened up as to how well the mag fits. Slight looseness in any AK is acceptable as long as the rifle feeds properly from both sides of the standard double stack mag. The Saiga doesn't because it has a "hunting" stock on it as delivered.

That said, I like the AMD-65 so much I bought two. One was sort of a gift from Aim Surplus, a Gordon Tech build that looks like a drunk did the weld on the barrel extension to get to the barrel length requirement of the new ATF second amendment. The receiver is probably the ugliest of any rifle I have, the grips are the AMD plastic which although correct for the build, looks like trash, but the rifle goes to the range with me as often as possible, has fired many thousands of rounds and has been 100% reliable. It is by far at the top of my list of favorite AK shooters.

I like the light weight, which allows me to stick a 100 round drum in it, and have a blast! As for people complaining about the wire stock and not being able to weld their cheek to it, I learned long ago how to shoot without having that painful sounding procedure done to weld my cheek to a stock! ;) Still I am very accurate with it! And yes it is loud, but that is because the AMD muzzle brake is among the best there is at reducing felt recoil, needed in such a light rifle. For that matter, what is the problem with LOUD firearms??? That just makes it even more fun. The louder the better!

Take your new toy out and enjoy it! Just one thing, please run a patch or two down the barrel to make sure there are no factory surprises left in the bore.

Top Bottom