ambidextrous safety for a lefty...in a compact...HELP!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danbailey24

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Rochester
    I've read tons of the discussions here (and other places) about safety levers on guns. I have decided for ME, that I want a gun with an external safety. This may change at some time...but for now....SAFETY is what I want.

I am a lefty shooter, and I have found that most guns with safeties are designed for right handed shooters. all that being said, I'm hoping to get some suggestions for first time handgun...lefty friendly...with ambidextrous safety. oh...I'm also really partial to compact / subcompact.

Right now, the SR9c seems to be the one i'm leaning toward. can anyone else talk me into something different?

thanks in advance...

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Nice gun, but the safety levers are so large that it really hurts the gun's ability to be concealed.

I am confused by this statement, I carry a SW 3914 daily and the safety lever never gets in the way. I had to mold my holster to accept it, but after the leather compressed I have no issues drawing or holstering.

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    Beretta px4 storm sub compact has ambi safety.

I really like the storm, but being double stacked, it's a little to big to pocket carry, which is what I do most of the time, so, I went with a sig p238. Not as much punch as a 9 mm and it has a right hand safety, but the gun is small enough to reach my left thumb over. I also practice shooting right handed so that it doesn't make any difference which pocket I carry my gun.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also, the M&P compact.... Should you change your mind about having a thumb safety on your gun, it can easily be removed from the M&P pistol.

-J-

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I have to agree with 1-mil high; I've carried a Glock for 17 years and never had a problem with its lack of external safety. If you check out many law enforcement agencies, they have no problem carrying Glocks without shooting themselves or others when they don't intend to do so, either. Of course, your personal preference rules.

nebulous

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I am confused by this statement, I carry a SW 3914 daily and the safety lever never gets in the way. I had to mold my holster to accept it, but after the leather compressed I have no issues drawing or holstering.

I have never holstered one, but I was making a general comment about the size of the saftey levers compared to other pistols. I stand corrected.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Might I recommend the XD-S?

Or perhaps the CZ P-07? It's a little big, but can be converted from decocker to safety switch with included parts.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    SR9c. 10 rounds for normal carry, 17 for more "problematic" places. Accurate. Great trigger. Looks bad-a$$!

ol' poke.

Top Bottom