Amazon now charging IN State tax............

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    SO.... i had heard talk about this last year but had forgotten all about it till this morning i decided i need a new inch and bough one from Amazon. Later in the evening i looked at my Amazon account to see if it had shipped yet. I noticed the Price didnt seem correct. low and behold there is the 7% sales tax costing an extra 80 bucks. I am a bit of an Amazon whore as it is so easy and fast to order stuff at generally a good price, 2 day shipping on most things. I am very saddened in the state for doing this. I honestly feel like i am taxed enough at federal, state and county tax. they keep this greed up and i will no longer be an Indiana resident!

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    sorry i meant "winch", unfortunately it seems about all of the items i get come from within IN. i am considering cancellation of my prime membership also.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    It's not just Indiana. Tax and spend politicians everywhere are looking at every revenue source possible and this is just low hanging fruit. Of course, it also helps protect brick and mortar stores as they have no choice but to charge sales tax.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I get my "value" by being able to order from home, not hunt all over God's creation for the stuff I need and I usually save money on the purchase price. I only order when I get free shipping so it's still a bargain for me.

I would have to pay the sales tax anyway. Either at the store or when I do my taxes and declare my online purchases.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well, they are at least doing it right. Food isn't taxed unless it is taxable here and it is charged the right amount. Most places that do this simply tax everything at the highest rate in the state and pocket the excess. Same as most gas station shops do, which is why I don't shop at gas station shops much.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    wait a minute, you were responsible to pay that 80 dollars even before? The reason amazon is collecting it now because most people were not responsible enough to claim it on their tax's.

OK OK, so a bit of sarcasm up there, but i 100 percent support sales tax being collected by the business that sells the product, regardless how whether it was purchases in a brick and morter or and online store.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    wait a minute, you were responsible to pay that 80 dollars even before? The reason amazon is collecting it now because most people were not responsible enough to claim it on their tax's.

OK OK, so a bit of sarcasm up there, but i 100 percent support sales tax being collected by the business that sells the product, regardless how whether it was purchases in a brick and morter or and online store.

and all other online stores in Indiana collect tax from sales in Indiana. Why should Amazon be exempt?

I guess if there is nothing to ***** about some are just not happy.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Brownells collects tax yet I don't remember any outrage for this? It has long been that if a business had a brick and mortar facility in a state they would collect sales tax for that state. The change is that now states want all online businesses to collect the tax.

Personally sales tax is the most heinous of all types of taxes IMO. I have already been taxed on those dollars (income tax) so it is even a higher rate than you think for property, sales and sin taxes since you must figure out what the taxes are by including the previous taxation. I have long felt these taxes should either be the way we get taxed period (no income tax) or be done away with completely or have them averaged into the income tax somehow (least favorite way to do this IMO).

I can't stand being taxed more than once and barely am willing to be taxed at all.

Top Bottom