AMAZING 1st time shooting with 3 year old son!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    South of Indy (in the woods)
    So I am out shooting the 22 in my backyard. Wife sitting on the deck swing with my 17 month old son whom I swear is scared of nothing. Then my 3 year old walks outside with his hands over his ears and is about to cry like he always does when I am shooting.

So I go in the shop and get some ear muffs and put them on him and he sits on the porch. Next time I reload I ask him if he wants to try. And first time ever he says YES!!! So he comes down,,,, I go over some of the basics with him and help him hold the gun.. (its a bolt action winchester sportsmaster or something like that) I show him where to look at the sights and point him toward the target and he pulls the trigger

and DING!!!!!!!!!!! he hit the target on his first time ever!!!!! He was like mommy I hit it I killed the animal!!!!! It was awesome!!!!

So we sat out there and shot at least 80 more rounds. He did only hit the target one more time today but he was loving every second. I taught him how to chamber a round and he was doing it all by himself.

Guess its time to go and get my boy a red ryder.

Oh I failed to mention that when we were shooting we were 30 yards out!! I have it measured off.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    I remember the first time I shot with my eldest son and he has gone with me ever since,at least till his mother and I divorced. IT's great bonding time. I remember looking at my son thinking, man he is growing up quick. Now he is 18 and looking to go into the service. Time flys by so fast. Enjoy your time together

rjstamp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    He is hooked for life now but you better be real careful with your guns for a few years....its like the first time you have sex.....you just gotta have more and you'll do anything to get it!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Exactly what caliber is a 3 year old? :laugh:

Seriously, though, I think that is cool as H*ll. He's hooked. :+1:for bringing another into the fold and teaching him.:)

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    That's AWESOME!!! I taught my 5 y/o daughter how to shoot over Labor Day this year (I had been promising her all summer long, but work...blah blah blah). She too, hit the 6" target on her first try (Ruger 10/22 with a scope). She was sooooo excited that we burned 4 more mags with at least 1-2 hits per 10 rounds going out. I'm going to get an ATI stock with the shorter butt stock just to accomodate her and my two boys(ages 3 & 2) who will soon be following in her footsteps. (Kids are cute and funny when they are little, but they become FUN when they can start doing things we adults do!!!) I love my kids...and spending time with them!!!

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy
    He is hooked for life now but you better be real careful with your guns for a few years....its like the first time you have sex.....you just gotta have more and you'll do anything to get it!

:+1: Couldnt have said it any better my self.

Thats pretty sweet he hit the target on his first shot ever. must be in his blood or something.....:):

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    hell yes, BIG +1 for this comment, he is definatly hooked. My daughter is 3 and will be 4 in late october. She is getting a cricket .22 for christmas. She already picked it out, and is almost big enough to shoulder it and shoot it, her arms are just a little too short yet. but by spring she will be there. I think all youngins should be tought this early.

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    thanks for all the great comments guys!!!! i would like to get a cricket does anyone know where I should go look for one?

recently upgraded my .22 to a semi auto 597 with a scope and he is loving that.... he likes that he doesnt have to chamber each round. I do think it is important to know how to use every type of gun though.. that is why I am going to have him slowly learn on all of them

cburnworth

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I took my 7 year old son out this summer, he fired off a few 22 rounds. He really wasn't interested, but will keep trying.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    my 5 year old daughter is growing into her cricket well. She hits a 6" steel spinner at 25yds with regularity from a sandbag. her arms are a little too short to try off-hand yet. congrats on getting your son interested young. teach him well!
    i put a WTB ad for one here in the classifieds and found a nice one in a couple of weeks. stainless target barrel, pink laminate, really nice gun. shoots great!

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    In all seriousness though my 3 year old just asked me to take him out to shoot his cricket and I was thinking he waas probably too little yet but maybe I should at least let him try. Sis will have to be out with hers too, and daddy is not going to get to the woods as soon as I wanted but the time with them will be worth it.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Awesome thread here. Thanks for sharing this jmildoc! My two G-sons ages 3 and 4 love to shoot too. Got 'em both muffs and glasses.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Great job and definitely a day you will never forget. I personally think 3-4 is a good age to begin teaching the fundamentals of gun safety and shooting.

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    today is my sons 4th birthday and I think I am going to take him out "special" to do some shooting. I wish that I could find him a cricket.... any ideas anyone?

I am already spending a lot of money on him this year... a john deere gator ride on and he got a $50 buzz light year toy and thats not counting the party

Top Bottom