• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trav_3897

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Spencer Co.
    Let me start out by saying that I HAVE applied for my LTCH and am awaiting the news. That being said... I have purchased a paddle holster for my Bersa Thunder .380 in anticipation of my license. I went with a paddle holster because I am, well, "heavy set". I figured an IWB holster would be terribly uncomfortable. Getting to the point, when I put my holster on and practice my draw, I can see the print of my firearm. Most of my shirts go over the end of the gun because it is small. I am just concerned that I may just be "looking" to see if it is noticable. Do you think this will be concealed enough? I know I don't have to conceal but I don't want to be obvious. Am I just too observant or would others notice too? Is there a better way to carry if you're on the "chubby" side?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    No, most people don't even notice an openly-carried firearm. Although sometimes, if it sticks out enough, the odd shape in your shirt might draw attention.

Paddle holsters aren't typically known for concealing well. If you're set on an OWB holster, try a belt holster. Pancake-style holsters tend to conceal well and are very comfortable.

Or, chubby or not, buy your pants the next size up and go IWB. Most "chubby" guys can actually conceal IWB a bit better even, as their "softer sides" help conceal the butt of the pistol.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Without a picture of the gun on your side I don't know how we could really tell you. When I started carrying I thought everyone seen it, just in my head, truth be told is nobody notices, NOBODY, unless you are looking for it you never notice, the only exception is the guys on here that look for it, myself included.

Being that you are a heavy guy I would think that the gun would really hang out there, but don't know.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you want to CC and you're worried about printing, don't. Virtually all people won't notice, or if they do they'll think it's a cell phone. The only people who will know what you have is another gun person or maybe a LEO. Heck, most of the time people don't even notice when you OC.

You can do what I do. In the unlikely event that someone comments and asks "What do you have under there?", you say "It's my colostomy bag, but I think it's leaking. Maybe you can help me with it." :):

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as you're in an area where you are, indeed, legally allowed to carry. The only people who will notice are other LTCH owners, and police officers. You're more likely to give yourself away by acting shifty/nervous than from minor gun printing.

If nothing else, try a better concealment holster. I have the Galco Belly Band and the Smart Carry. I prefer the Smart Carry, but the Belly Band offers pretty good concealment and versatility.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I think we all felt like "everyone" could tell we were carrying when we first stared. Really man. No one is looking. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable and can access your weapon. Just try to wear two shirts or something if you really want to conceal. There are a lot of OWB (on the waist band) holsters, like the paddle you have, that will do just as good as an IWB (or in the waist band). Listen to Scutter. Most people just think its a cellphone. Just like Phrozen5100 said. "Shifty/nervous" people stand out. You do not want to be the shifty/nervous guy in the checkout line, looking around at people, pulling at one side of your shirt "looking crazy". This will make everyone look at you and then someone might notice and yell something stupid like "HE HAS A GUN". Just act as you always do and know we all felt strange at first, even if some won't admit it. Practice often and feel comfortable. The best advice I have about the chubby thing is to incorporate some PT in your life and/or wear a second shirt.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    As a heavy guy myself, I would recommend that you don't necessarily write off the IWB holster. I use a Comp-Tac Minotaur for my .40 M&P Compact and it does a pretty good job concealing the gun. And, it is more comfortable than I exptected.

I think it would be worth your time to try an IWB holster to see if it works for you. Just my two cents from a fellow "big boned" guy.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Carry long enough & you'll eventually end up like the rest of us with a dresser drawer full of holsters.

I lucked out and found two good holsters right off the bat. My Comp-Tac MTAC for IWB and my Raven Phantom for OWB.

I do have a little cheapie Fobus paddle holster, but that doesn't really count. :D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Scutter,

I've actually found a good use for those cheapie Fobus paddle holsters, they are great for mounting inside of cabinets or underneath a desk/table for easy/quick access to a hidden stowed away piece.

It actually comes in handy from time to time, I'm not gonna lie to you. It's not a great holster, but it gets the job done.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Scutter,

They arn't too bad when they are newish, but once they get worn in a little I've found that my weapon slops around too much in them (mine has no tensioners).

Uncle Mikes makes a really good inexpensive Kydex holster paddle holster that I can & do wear a G17 in occasionally (it has dual tensioners).

But for the most part I prefer leather rigs over plastic/kydex ones.

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    As a heavy guy myself, I would recommend that you don't necessarily write off the IWB holster. I use a Comp-Tac Minotaur for my .40 M&P Compact and it does a pretty good job concealing the gun. And, it is more comfortable than I exptected.

I think it would be worth your time to try an IWB holster to see if it works for you. Just my two cents from a fellow "big boned" guy.

:+1:

Have you tried just sticking the gun in your pants mexican style and walk around the house for awhile. If that works for you then IWB will be the way to go. IWB will be similar but as opposed to mexican style it will keep the gun secure and give you a buffer between the gun and your body. I'm 5'10 300+ and I carry IWB with a med-sized gun. Those bersas have a nice thin frame and are rounded, so I bet you could do IWB. Nothing wrong with OWB, but they do print more and you have to worry about how long your shirt is and whether it covers the gun when you bend over (if you are really concerned about concealing).

These guys are absolutely right about nobody noticing. Most people are too wrapped up in their own little worlds to remember the color of your hair if pressed...

Good luck with your decision, and stay safe.
    ~Poe

(BTW, another extremely important factor is where you carry the gun inside your waist. Some people go from appendix all the way around to people going SOB. Try them all til you get a comfortable/manageable position)

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Im a big guy and well not very atractive and have noticed that no one looks at me....lol So I doubt they could notice my gun.

If you a cute chick every one will notice your gun. And the guys you dont scare must like it...lol

truckie166

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Hi, I just recieved my LTCH and carried for the first time today. I am a larger man myself, but i didnt notice anyone staring at me so I wouldnt be to worried about it. Also i have a fobus holster with a tensioner and it worked just fine.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I agree. IWB in SOB is a great place to carry if you don't want to print..... but you will really remember you got it when you sit down......

Top Bottom