• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    So the last few days I've been thinking an awful lot about my guns... And how I really dont have any that I get real excited about shooting. I still shoot at least once a month (minimum of one box through my EDC), as well as some rifles.. But Nothing that like Im counting the hours til I get to go to the range again. Is this normal? Its not like I only have a single shot 20 gauge either, Ive got a few shotguns, an AR, as well as a couple pistols and some .22 rifles, so Ive got variety.

Help me figure out whats wrong.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    So the last few days I've been thinking an awful lot about my guns... And how I really dont have any that I get real excited about shooting. I still shoot at least once a month (minimum of one box through my EDC), as well as some rifles.. But Nothing that like Im counting the hours til I get to go to the range again. Is this normal? Its not like I only have a single shot 20 gauge either, Ive got a few shotguns, an AR, as well as a couple pistols and some .22 rifles, so Ive got variety.

What's wrong is that you haven't been shooting them enough. :rockwoot:

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Doesn't sound like something another firearm purchase wouldn't fix. Maybe going another route that you didn't previously consider might spice things up a bit.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I find gun ownership to be an evolution that's more about the journey than a destination.

So just move on to the next "project" or "focus".

How many training courses have you taken? Instead of saving for a new gun you could try saving for a training course. They give you something to look forward to, they're fun, and in the end you've invested in yourself by learning new (or improved) skills.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Maybe research outside of what you normally are interested in? If you're an AR guy you could look into AKs and vice versa for all the platforms. Maybe you need a different kind of range, something more dynamic then a standard paper target range? I find myself much happier with a buddy or two in the woods, then at a regular controlled range with range officers in charge, limiting how I shoot. (for example my indoor range clearly states "NO DOUBLE TAPS" and other restrictive rules). So if possible change up the venue where you shoot. I'm lucky to have a friend with country property in a heavily wooded area that we can use as a range and still be safe with enough downrange area.

Like esrice said, you could take a weapons course.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Esrice has a good suggestion.

If it were me, I'd snag a .22 pistol. Those things are too much fun, especially if you get a cheap swinging target. I've got one that has the four targets on the bottom that swing up and hang up on a bar. Then hit the top one, and it releases them all. Can use it with your .22 rifles too. What kind of shooting do you do? Punch paper?

Any type of target that reacts is fun. If you're more of a "shoot for groups" guy, challenge a couple buddies and see who can tighten theirs up the most. Make anything into a competition. If you've got the dough, get a Bobcat Steel dueling tree. Oh, how I lust for one of those.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    You need to add some variety and challenges in there. Shooting the same style or targets gets boring. Try shoot balloons at 100 yards with a pistol, (been doing that for a while and it's still a lot of fun and a real challenge). Some reactive targets, (plastic pop bottle filled with food coloring are great to hit with a .308). Try a whole different discipline like sporting clays or long distance precision shooting. Anyway you get the idea, spice it up and have some fun.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    I was kind of the same way about a year ago. I started watching Magpul and Panteao training videos and practicing new ideas and skills and it really makes it a blast. Not to mention I'm down 30 pounds from all the excercise. You can get a panteao subscription for like $18 and watch any of their videos whenever you want.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Doesn't sound like something another firearm purchase wouldn't fix. Maybe going another route that you didn't previously consider might spice things up a bit.

I completely agree with this. I shoot in between 200-500 rounds per weekend, and have gotten bored lately, but I've been thinking of buying a lever action rifle lately ( completely opposite of my norm) and I gotta admit, I'm excited about it. It may help you try something you have never tried before.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    Thru the years I've gone thru numerous periods of highs and lows but the interest has always been there. The problem nowadays is that it isn't quite as easy to get motivated and the places to shoot for me aren't as plentiful as in years past. Throw in the price of gas and ammo and it makes it that much harder to go shooting. I went thru a period where I became more of a collector than a shooter, but then all of a sudden I couldn't even become excited about a new firearm, kind of like I was satisfied with what I already had. The juices are starting to flow again with a renewed interest in a new AR rifle, however I am trying real hard to suppress the urge...;)

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Some reactive targets, (plastic pop bottle filled with food coloring are great to hit with a .308). Try a whole different discipline like sporting clays or long distance precision shooting. Anyway you get the idea, spice it up and have some fun.

Pretty much exactly this. Paper targets do get boring. 4 friends, 100 shells per man and some clays on a Saturday Morning is amazing.

When the group can't get together I head over to Kodiak to shoot some reactive targets. Diversity is key.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010

I know exactly what's wrong: you're shooting at too much paper and not enough steel. Hearing that stuff ring out at 25, 50 and 100 yds downrange is like music. Contact Bobcat Steel (advertiser on this site), and he'll hook you up. :)

Hope that helps.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Maybe it's the place you goto shoot. Maybe you need some place with moving targets, barricades, steel targets of all shapes/sizes, a dueling tree, and the ability to move across the range/multiple lanes in order to shoot at multiple targets....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I understand how you feel to a point. After a few years of rampant buying, selling and trading which was a really fun adventure in itself, I am at a point that we thinned out the herd significantly. We narrowed the calibers and kept only what we really like to shoot except for the sentimental and family heirlooms.
    Esrice is correct. This is an ever evolving hobby. All hobby's get to a point that you feel it is in a rut. At that point you either change your focus, save the hobby or move on to something else.
    Or you are just not shooting enough you big dummy.

xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    So much good advice from INGO members.

I too lean towards the idea of obtaining a new gun, and make friends with an real gun enthusiast. One that wont take no for an answer. I have a good friend like that and it works on me even when I'm busy. Or that guy could be you.....Drag your buddy out even if he says no I cant.
    Doesn't hurt if one of you has some acreage.

I imagine ranges can get boring after a while.....
    Take those shotguns and go knock on a farmers door and see if he would like you to eradicate the pigeons from his barns. You will be surprised how many say sure. The farmers are usually grateful. Some have crow problems. Grab a crow call and a black piece of material on a stick for a decoy. They will come right in.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I completely agree with this. I shoot in between 200-500 rounds per weekend, and have gotten bored lately, but I've been thinking of buying a lever action rifle lately ( completely opposite of my norm) and I gotta admit, I'm excited about it. It may help you try something you have never tried before.
    Took the words right out of my mouth! I was at a large gun auction last Nov and picked up a Marlin 30-30 lever action for $250 with original scope and mounts (scope says Marlin on it!) and dated it to 1976 and its 99.5% condition. Thing looks practically brand new. I absolutely love this rifle! It will be one of my guns that gets handed down to my son (he is 2 now) when Im gone or cant operate a firearm safely anymore. I will never sell that rifle!:rockwoot:
    Rep inbound Spike!

marsell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    You just have to figure out where your interest lies at the moment. I tend to transition from collector/enthusiast to practical shooter. I am always on a budget so I don't get to actually purchase very often, but I get to research all I want on the internet and perusing the local gun shops. I actually get more excited while I am trying to figure out what my next acquisition is going to be. I have a general interest in all types of firearms so I get to research for a long time. Unfortunately the excitement dies once I make the purchase and the gun is mine. I don't lose interest but I do lose that Christmas morning excitement that accompanies the purchase. But then I got to shoot them which is a totally different type of excitement. I think it just depends on where you are at mentally.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Right now, I am not at a point where I cant buy another gun, so thats out of the question.... I always shoot at the same range, so maybe going to a different one would help. I have also shot trap a few times, and like doing that, but not having a good trap gun puts me at the mercy of a guy that is ever so nice and lets me use one of his Model 12's.....

Thanks for all the advice guys, its appreciated!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom