• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I had a friend show up unannounced at my house last night. Not an issue, I was in the middle of casting/reloading some ammo. He does casting and reloading also, so I told him he had such impeccable timing. Anyhow, after watching me for a while, he promptly told me that I was crazy. His reasoning for this was such:

I never use a hardness tester.
    I use a ladle and single cavity mold for everything.
    I don't ever use my bottom pour melting pot. (Its NIB)
    I don't even own multicavity molds.
    I refuse to use anything other than a single stage press.
    I only use Lee scoops for powder, not a dispenser or anything of that sort.

Apparently that qualifies me as nuts? I thought it was just personal preference all this time....:D

He told me that for being so young, I sure was old fashioned.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I disagree. I enjoy using a single stage press. I like to sit and listen to the radio and patiently do each step by hand. I like to weight the powder out on the scale. I enjoy casting bullets outside using basic tools although I do use a bottom pour pot. Sometimes old fashioned is fun and it teaches you attention to detail.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Thats what I said!!! I am on the arguement that I get more ballanced bullets in ladle pour. I like being attentive to detail. Otherwise, your just pitching money.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    To each their own is how I look at it. I use a bottom pour pot, 6 cavity molds, powder dispenser,and lee scoopes, single stage, and turret presses. Whatever gets the job done, and your comfortable using is all that matters. So, no your not crazy....at least in this case !

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I've been known to take a safe shortcut a time or two, like scooping powders of known vmd after weighing a sample of charges to verify, but you're taking it a little far.

As far as single molds and single stage presses are concerned - if it works for you, so be it. I'm a single stage guy myself.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Always used a single stage when reloading at my dad's, and looking to set up in my apartment with a single stage. Cost effective and harder to skip a step. That and the RCBS and Redding presses are like tanks and last forever.
    I'll probably never reload in quantities that would justify a progressive, but might consider a turret down the road once I get set up.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Yea, I thought I would never need more than a single stage press! Ha, lol! Then I started shooting FNS at MCF&G, I sure wish I had a progressive now! I think I will be talking to Aszerigan someday hopefully soon! :ingo:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Yes, you are crazy... your bottom pour melting pot isn't getting any use, you should send it to me for proper disposal. :D

Well, actually, I don't think you're crazy, but man, you will really save a lot of time and increase accuracy by improving your setup. I'm not saying you have to, just point out that you have room to improve... just take baby-steps. :rockwoot:

jbrittin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2010
    After years of reloading probably at least 100,000 rounds, I STILL use my Lee single stage press... I use a powder scale though...

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    You guys are crazy!!!! How are the stores gonna stay open if you guys cast and load, damn it!! People depend on your money, now knock it off!

All of you, get in your cars and go but (expensive) ammo at Gander.

Dillon on sale, huh? Tell us more

rlw9337

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    I run a single stage for my revolver loads. I don't get the crush on my primers with the progressive. Maybe some day I'll save up enough to buy a Dillon.

I prefer to cast on a 6 hole Lee mold and use a bottom pour to get the volume up. I actually prefer a 4 hole steel mold and will buy one when the 6 hole wears out.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I don't know about you mental state :laugh::laugh::laugh:...but I use a single stage press too, and sometimes I do use a lee powder scoop. I do check the scoop occasionally with my scale. I have an adjustable powder measure but don't always use it...especially with light loads, like shooting 38 spl out of my .357. I see no danger there.

hicap30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Well I started with a Redding turrent and like that I can load 1 single round buy revolving the turrent until its completed. I dont do it that way, I deprime and size 500 to 1000 casing throughout the week then hand prime, then load em up. Best press I could have ever started on....... And I have a Redding scale too!

Top Bottom