Am I a good neighbor? Did I do the right thing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What do you think; did I do the right thing?

I live near a guy on the Indiana sex offender registry. On the Indiana website he is listed as a sex predator.

This has bothered me since I moved in. But I figured if he doesn’t talk to me and I avoid the guy all should be good. Live and let be. Well last November or something I met this guy. I just got home and a car stopped and backed up and pulled into my drive. It just happened to be some college aged girls who were campaigning for Obama. Well I spoke to the girls for a min and a second car pulled in. It was the guy on the sex offender list. He told me he seen the car and was just seeing what they were doing. He spoke to me for a few mins and then spoke to the girls while they were in the car. It just gave me the creeps.

As all good neighbors do I have been keeping an eye out and noticed the other neighborhood children playing in his yard. This has been on my mind for a while and it finally reached the point where I had to say something. I do not want to cause issues in the neighborhood, but I don’t know is this is proper for the guy to interact with the kids with his past history and all. So I just sent an e-mail to the Indiana department of corrections about the issue. It was the e-mail link on the Indiana sex offender website.

-James

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Well, the recidivism rate for sexual predators is fairly high (ie the rate at which they recommit the same crime.) That said, there's also a wide range of offenses that can get you on that list.

But, personally, better safe then sorry. You either talk to the cops, talk to the parents in the neighborhood, or you talk to the guy yourself (or any combination of the three.)

If your instinct tells you something is wrong, go with your gut.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    What do you think; did I do the right thing?

I live near a guy on the Indiana sex offender registry. On the Indiana website he is listed as a sex predator.

This has bothered me since I moved in. But I figured if he doesn’t talk to me and I avoid the guy all should be good. Live and let be. Well last November or something I met this guy. I just got home and a car stopped and backed up and pulled into my drive. It just happened to be some college aged girls who were campaigning for Obama. Well I spoke to the girls for a min and a second car pulled in. It was the guy on the sex offender list. He told me he seen the car and was just seeing what they were doing. He spoke to me for a few mins and then spoke to the girls while they were in the car. It just gave me the creeps.

As all good neighbors do I have been keeping an eye out and noticed the other neighborhood children playing in his yard. This has been on my mind for a while and it finally reached the point where I had to say something. I do not want to cause issues in the neighborhood, but I don’t know is this is proper for the guy to interact with the kids with his past history and all. So I just sent an e-mail to the Indiana department of corrections about the issue. It was the e-mail link on the Indiana sex offender website.

-James

Good call. I'd done the same thing. :yesway:

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    You did the right thing. As a parent of two children I thank people like yourself who look out for things of this nature. I wish you lived next to me. Without the pervert next door.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    H**l yes, you did the right thing. Very similar situation when a registered sex offender moved into my neighborhood in St. Louis. The sex crime was very much involving small children. He did 10 years in prison and was "rehabilitated."

Several of us had kids there; myself with an eight year old daughter and five year old son.

He lived there less than 9 weeks.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    A 168gr BTHP would take care of the situation once and for all, not that I would condone such an action. I'm just saying....

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    LMAO @ Hammer :)

22rssix, have you talked to the parents of the kids who were out playing?? That's what I'd be inclined to do. They should know who lives in their neighborhood..

It's pretty interesting to see who lives near you, though - I think everybody oughta take a minute and scan their area to see who lives nearby...

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    It's pretty interesting to see who lives near you said:
    This just might scare the h*ll out of you , I know it did me , maybe 20 or 30 within a half hour walk of my house
    :dunno: scary

Farmritch

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    This is the website that I use to find out who lives near me.

Indiana Sheriff's Sex and Violent Offender Registry

I live off of a connector road between lafayette and 71st street up by eagle creek park. I live between two dead end roads that have homes. This guy live south of me right on the corner of the feeder road and one of the dead end roads. Since the roads are a dead end I never travel down them and know nothing about the folks who live down the road.

I do know this guy is white and all the kids are black. Not that race has anything to do with it, but I know they are not his kids.

Right now I will wait for the DOC to answer my e-mail If they dont I will call the sheriffs number listed on the web site. I tried to call last week but they close at 4pm or something and I was not able to talk to a person. I feel better if the doc/sheriff handle this.

I might have to take the dog for a walk and if I see anyone out I will stop to speak with them.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    You did well. I would still follow up on phone calls to the houses in the area to at least let the parents know. As far as I'm concerned, if he is a sex offender, he lost any nice and fair treatment when he did whatever deed it was. IMO.:patriot:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I thought there was a law that stated that sexual predators can't be within so many yards of a minor or something to that effect. I would notify the parents as a safe-guard.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    You did the right thing! like others have said before me I would talk to the parents and let them know what you know, I do not belive he has any rights to privicy, Sucks to be him, Keep the kids safe and let everyone know what he could be capeable of.

Top Bottom