• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I always run a box or two of any new brand of self defense ammo through the gun before I trust it. This weekend I was very glad I do that. I tried out a magazine of Corbon DPX 9mm +P 115 gr with my G19. It failed miserably with 8 of 12 FTFs. All the DUDs had good primer indents and looked normal. I didn't try a second strike (won't get that chance in real life). I lost patience quickly and went back to Hornady Critical Defense for EDC. It is really unnerving to hear that "click" with SD ammo. You expect, especially with the price you pay, that it will always go bang. I also expect SD ammo quality control to be top notch. When it come to this topic FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION. I haven't had any problems with Corbon but this is the first time I tried DPX. I would send it back to Corbon but right now I don't want any more Corbon, and they would probably just replace it with another box. Is it just me or does everyone get that sick feeling in their stomach when you hear CLICK on an SD round? Reliability should never be an issue here.

How do you test your SD ammo to have confidence it will perform?

Last edited:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I probably take it too far, but I will buy it ( usually from ammo to go) in 500 rd cases so I know it's all from the same lot. This will allow me to test maybe 200 rounds and leave plenty for a few mags and also to put fresh in my carry mags a couple times a year. I can dump (2) mags every 6 months, and the remaining case will last 5 years..

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I've never had that happen with a SD round. All of my pistols have CorBon in them when not on the range.. Never had an issue with them at all. When I first started shooting Corbon, I ran close to 200 rounds of it through my Sig and never had a hiccup. My requirements for it are a combination of accuracy and reliability. As important as BOOM is, it won't matter if the shot won't land where you want it to.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP: How clean is your FP channel? Is there a chance that the FP's being hindered at all?

I presume that all other ammo fires A-OK?

-J-

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    That's surprising to me as I've heard nothing but praise for Cor-bon.

I will keep this in mind for my next defensive rounds purchase.

Doobie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Send it back with a nice note. They can't fix a problem if they don't know about it. And if you don't want the boxes of ammo they send you, you can let me have it. My XDm 9 will eat anything I feed it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I always test SD ammo before it goes into my carry mags. I have not found any SD ammo that my pistols wil not function. Currently I carry Winchester Ranger 147 grain SXT rounds in my full size pistols. I carry Black Hills 124 grain in my PF9.

Top Bottom