• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    So there I was, (no s***) walking in my neighborhood with my soon to be Mrs. and the dog (85lb Rottweiler-Husky). When I hear it, snarls and growls of an equally sized black Pitbull racing across two front yards and into the street toward me and mine. Before I could really think about it I had my dog by the collar in my left and my .38 in my right hand (still in my pocket) and my lady behind me (I didn't even have to tell her, she just did it). Just before I was making the decision weather or not to clear my pocket I hear "Blackears, NO!" This of course didn't stop the dog from charging but made me pause for a second and consider my options, draw or wait til it has teeth in my dog. I waited and it was a good thing too.

Thinking about it if the situation were the other way around and my dog got away from me and was charging somebody else I would understand somebody shooting my dog. No, really I would, the way I figure, it's my fault for not taking reasonable precautions to restrain my dog. It would suck, I'd be horrified, but I'd understand it.

Now, the reason it was a good thing is because while Blackears was a little aggressive the dogs didn't put teeth into each other and the "owner" was on the spot and secured her dog with the help of her much larger neighbor who saw the whole thing go down. What's funny is after they apologized profusely, she said something about how stupid her dog was, her neighbor corrected her by saying how lucky her dog was. Now my right hand never cleared the pocket so I wonder if it was coincidence or the neighbor was observant enough to make the assumption that Blackears was indeed a lucky dog.

So lessons learned? Always carry!! Don't leave your gun at home, just because I didn't need it this time doesn't mean I won't need it next time. Also, my fiancé has a pretty good grasp of situational awareness, guess I should keep her around. Also, some may say that I should have drawn, let me tell you why I didn't First I heard the owner call for him, so right there I knew if I'd shot the dog I'd have a pissed off owner. Second, I didn't feel threatened. No really, I didn't, Blackears was going after my dog not me or my fiancé. That's not to say I would have let him tear my dog to shreds, but better the dog then me. Third, after hearing the owner I didn't want a trip to the police station for brandishing a firearm. Now I wasn't necessarily thinking ALL that when it happened, but in hindsight I'm glad things ended the way they did.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    There is no brandishing law in Indiana.

$10 says the local police don't know that.

I'm sure with at least two people watching PD would be on scene in a minute (they had a car at the park we were walking home from). And I'm not anti police or anything, I just don't want to escalate a situation to that level. You know one less thing.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You (and loved ones) are alive and unhurt.
    There is no impending jail or lawsuit.
    But, you were ready in case...
    Sounds to me like you did the right thing.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Our golden keeps fighting dogs in our yard. I'm wondering if I am going to have to do the unthinkable to someone elses dog.

I hope not. Our dogs are out for like 15 minutes at a time, but they keep coming.

Fence is on the short list sadly.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Our golden keeps fighting dogs in our yard. I'm wondering if I am going to have to do the unthinkable to someone elses dog.

I hope not. Our dogs are out for like 15 minutes at a time, but they keep coming.

Fence is on the short list sadly.

the animals besides my own that find themselves in my yard or on my property have a dim future. the next step is heads on spears around the property line.

Top Bottom