• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yj-guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    brazil
    i was given a 14 foot jon boat with motor and trailer. getting ready to take it out and looked it over and to my surprise it was riddled with patch work and some unpatched holes. anyone have advice on the best way to fix it without throwing the boat away:popcorn:

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    This brings back some memories. We used to repair ours as kids by taking a lighter to a plastic worm and filling the holes with the melted pieces. I really recommend that you dont do that;)

yj-guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    brazil
    This brings back some memories. We used to repair ours as kids by taking a lighter to a plastic worm and filling the holes with the melted pieces. I really recommend that you dont do that;)
    and did you try this while the boat was in the water? lol just dont see that working out very well.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    i was given a 14 foot jon boat with motor and trailer. getting ready to take it out and looked it over and to my surprise it was riddled with patch work and some unpatched holes. anyone have advice on the best way to fix it without throwing the boat away:popcorn:
    lantz' tank service in indy has some awesome aluminum welders there. call them and see if they will fix it. tell them you know Tom Lantz and he said for you to call them since you're closer to indy than evansville. they might give you a discount.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Would a fiberglass repair kit bond to the aluminum? If the resin would bond, the matting could be used to cover the hole, and seal it with the resin. I fixed my canoe like that, but it is fiberglass. I did not, however, grind down to the old matting material, just spread it out over the top.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I purchased a couple aluminum brazing rods at the Wood Working Show at the Fairgrounds. They can be used with Propane torch or MAPP gas if you need to heat a large area, like the boat. Then you just spread it between the cracks.

You can drive an awl through the bottom of an aluminum soda can and patch across with the rods. Works great. Not sure where they are at currently, with the move. That is what I would use for it.

BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    your best bet would be to find someone who does tig work at a reasonable price. if you lived closer to fulton county i could hook you up with my buddy. you can see some of his work in the august issue of diesel power. he welds SMT's valve covers that are in the hot new product section. if you feel like road tripping i can give you his number.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Use the green hot melt sticks

These are great! Can get them from Bass Pro and maybe others. This is a light green epoxy material that you heat with a torch and it bonds permanantly to aluminum. Used on a 10' jon that had leaky rivets and a 6" tear. Never had trouble after putting it on. Takes paint well too.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    lantz' tank service in indy has some awesome aluminum welders there. call them and see if they will fix it. tell them you know Tom Lantz and he said for you to call them since you're closer to indy than evansville. they might give you a discount.
    Good advise, if you want it fixed right, but since he said riddled with holes, it might not be worth the cost.

yj-guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    brazil
    These are great! Can get them from Bass Pro and maybe others. This is a light green epoxy material that you heat with a torch and it bonds permanantly to aluminum. Used on a 10' jon that had leaky rivets and a 6" tear. Never had trouble after putting it on. Takes paint well too.
    i found these on cabelas website, gona give them a try. if it doesnt work i will try the aluminum rods with a torch.
    Thanks everyone for the help. i will post the results when i get the time to fix it.

Top Bottom