• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    man there is tons of spyderco's, benchmades, and kershaws that fit in that price gap coming in all types of awesome steel's s30v, vg10, h1, cmp154, ats-34, zdp189, and not corrosion resistant but always a great steel 01, and those are by proven knife companies that will definitely fix any problems with their knives and have been used and tested over and over

as far as everything i have heard and seen and used the 8cr13mov is a cheap Chinese steel (holds a decent edge, doesn't rust, and doesn't chip much if the heat treat is right) and is what spyderco and other companies use in the very budget friendly knives and from a couple quick searches most those knives came in around 30-60 bucks. imo at 100 bucks you can get a used but in great shape spyderco military in s30v and that to me would be a much better option.

i am by no means a steel expert or snob but i am a knife junky on a budget so i am always looking for the best option for the best prices and for the cost there is much better out there

Last edited:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I am not trying to argue I learn through debate and am interested in what Tyler means by "so so." i don't disagree that there are better knives out there at higher price ranges. However, in the $125-50 price range I think it is up there in the top ten I've tested. I base my judgements of materials on corrosion resistance, durability, sharpness, edge retention, and the brittleness of the materials.

its just that, cheap chinese steel that is so so its nothing new or fancy it was made to be a budget alternative to AUS8 simple as that. I own a spyderco tenacious in the steel, it was a $40 knife it has $40 steel. your reading too far into it when there is nothing to read into. as far as much better in the price range? easy my benchmade griptilian, I bought for $70 shipped and it has a far superior steel in 154cm and a far Superior locking mechanism in the axis lock, and is also fully ambidextrous. and if this knife is in the top ten you've tested you might wanna go do some more research on knives.

Jeremy_A

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Columbus*
    man there is tons of spyderco's, benchmades, and kershaws that fit in that price gap coming in all types of awesome steel's s30v, vg10, h1, cmp154, ats-34, zdp189, and not corrosion resistant but always a great steel 01, and those are by proven knife companies that will definitely fix any problems with their knives and have been used and tested over and over for

as far as everything i have heard and seen and used the 8cr13mov is a cheap Chinese steel (holds a decent edge, doesn't rust, and doesn't chip much if the heat treat is right) and is what spyderco and other companies use in the very budget friendly knives and from a couple quick searches most those knives came in around 30-60 bucks. imo at 100 bucks you can get a used but in great shape spyderco military in s30v and that to me would be a much better option.

i am by no means a steel expert or snob but i am a knife junky on a budget so i am always looking for the best option for the best prices and for the cost there is much better out there
    :+1:Well put.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    hey I respect your right to any kinda knife you want. different strokes, but Tyler knows his sheit. If he says so so I take that under advisement. At no time did anyone say dont buy one or if you do own one far be it from me to say you cant love it. I love the dialogue on here for just that reason. I handled the knives in question I did not buy one but to those who did I wish you the best.

Hansolo777

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    So every steel is so so? If they use $40 worth of steel in a $40 knife I would rate that well. You can't use $50 worth of steel in a $40 knife unless you want to go bankrupt. While a $40 knife with $30 parts wouldn't sell. So I guess your "so so" means good or descent. That is why I ranked it well, it has good quality parts parts, at the price I paid. I also know that just as important as the steel used is the process of heat treatmenting the metal.

I am not disagreeing that there are better knives out there. You will just be paying a lot more for one. However, for the price it is a great deal, that's all.

Last edited:

Jeremy_A

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Columbus*
    So every steel is so so? If they use $40 worth of steel in a $40 knife I would rate that well. You can't use $50 worth of steel in a $40 knife unless you want to go bankrupt. While a $40 knife with $30 parts wouldn't sell. So I guess your "so so" means good or descent. That is why I ranked it well, it has good quality parts parts, at the price I paid. I also know that just as important as the steel used is the process of heat treatmenting the metal.

I am not disagreeing that there are better knives out there. You will just be paying a lot more for one. However, for the price it is a great deal, that's all.
    It might not be a bad knife, but for that much money it should have higher quality steel. And I would never spend that much for a chinese knife when I could get something tons better made in the USA in the same price range. :patriot:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    ok now i am begging to think your not reading what is being posted lol. there is literally hundreds of knives with better steel, locks, and quality for less money than you paid for the knife you have. its not that its just the so so steel but if it has that steel it should come with that price tag, man you said they normally cost 100 bucks but you paid 70, as stated above you can get a spyderco military with s30v steel for that or you could get a benchmade ritter mini grip with 154 cm for that or you could get a kershaw blur for 50,

i mean literally we are talking tons and tons of better knives with better steels, better locking, and just plain better knives. here is the deal you like that knife (lol no offense but the way your defending it especially with all the stuff presented here i believe you work for or sell the knives your talking about or you got it free and promised to defend it till your dying breath no matter what other knife people said) and we respect that you like it and think its a good knife but we are just pointing out that there is much better products out there for around the same money if not cheaper. you keep saying for the same knife you would pay a lot more and that simply isn't the case but just to be efficient i will post some comparison's for you

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Blur-Knife-Steel-Blade/dp/B0015ZXCT0]Amazon.com: Kershaw Blur Knife with S30V Steel Blade: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Kershaw Blur - S30V Steel 1670S30V

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tenacious-Handle-Folding-Plain/dp/B001EI7578]Amazon.com: Spyderco Tenacious G-10 Handle Folding Plain Edge Knife: Sports & Outdoors[/ame] (found this one in the exact same steel but i just couldn't find it for more than 50 bucks because i guess even spyderco knows you can't charge a premium for so so steel)

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-Pardue-Design-Mini-Griptillian-Handle/dp/B000PL79JY]Amazon.com: Benchmade Pardue Design Mini-Griptillian Combo Edge Knife with Olive Drab Handle: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

i am now drunk enough not to bother searching for other as my spelling is going down hill but period those are far better steeled knives, made by known companies for around 70 bucks and cheaper. i mean really can you argue with that

Hansolo777

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    So your only real problem is where their made, and that you assume it's low quality because of where it's made?

See I would think people realize that many brand name Companies make their knives over there now. Including some of the ones posted above. Yet once again it's back to heat treating and they have it down.

Not to mention it depends on how it is being used. So I am interested how often do you use your knives and to do what?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    ok, as far as knife use goes i am one of those dumb people ( a grunt for years) and i use my knife for anything and everything. i use it on a daily basis to pry, cut, stab, clean my finger nails and anything else you might need a knife for. i also walk my dog daily in the woods and use it for feather sticks, whittling, ect. i am super hard on my kit which is why most of the time i carry a zero tolerance 0301 with a no matter what you break it we will fix or replace it kind of warranty. i also carry a esse izula neck knife that carries that same warranty. but go figure i have never had to send one back for repair.

wow this is getting old and tyler told me to stop but i just didn't listen. i am just gonna throw this out there and i am done posting in here. your knife is a ok knife, its nothing special and a good bit over priced period. ok so they have the heat treat down, so does spyderco on the 30 dollar above mentioned knife with the exact same steel. so does benchmade and kershaw. we also know the other knives are made in japan (not china but still close) break your knife and send it in for warranty work, where does it go? how long will it take to get it back? will they fix it or give you a new one?

i called kershaw and said hey this blur i got, the screws for the clip are getting semi stripped, and its not happened on my zero tolerance but i don't wanna take a chance, the lady said let me send you out new ones and while we are at it we will send you a knife repair tool which fits on your keychain and holds multiple bits so you can change your stuff around anytime you want to (a 8 dollar tool) nothing special but free. there was nothing wrong with my clip on my zero tolerance but just in case they sent me a whole know set. blah never mind i will just stop now as its not worth arguing about it because i don't truly believe your hearing what most people are saying. its a so so steel with so so qualities for a good bit to much money when you consider the other options out there (which are infinite)

have a great day and enjoy your knife sir

Hansolo777

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    I just wanted to state that if you notice the MSRP is rated at 139.95 so you are probably getting them at wholesale which isn't bad. You just have to keep in mind the knife I bought would be about $50. That's a $20 difference and you are getting less knife. Also all the knives you listed are shorter than their knives by over an inch. So you actually are paying more for less knife. In exchange for a slightly more brittle blade?

Also I don't know how good the handles are they seem cheap to me. Once again no Micarta, instead a cheaper rubbery plastic. So if a cheaper handle and only slightly "stronger" blade that is more brittle and is over an inch shorter. Does it for you and is worth the extra $20-$30 then that's your opinion and I respect that.

I'm just saying that each steel has good and bad qualities. There is always a trade off, I just think that as far as a tactical knife is concerned it is a great buy for the price. For cutting boxes all the time one of the above knives might be great.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    ok i said i wasn't gonna post but i am in the mood to now based off your last comments.... what do you know about tactical. what exactly is a tactical knife? have you every used your knife tactically? ok so now g10 is a cheap plastic handle (one of the best handle materials period). as far as tactical goes, i was a infantry soldier and squad leader for 6 years, also a sniper, i now work for the police and yet i have never used my knife tactically. i use my knife as a tool to accomplish many tasks (many of which a knife wasn't designed to be used for) which is why i buy tried and true trusted knives with much better steel from great companies. but somehow i have never needed a tactical knife. (wtf is a tactical knife) is that a knife you can go out and shoot a couple times for fun and it stands up to it?

On another note where are you getting 50 dollars now you said you paid 70 bucks for and got it on a deal as they normally cost 100, thats not 50 sir and the spyderco which is pretty damn close to the knife your describing is a 25-30 dollar knife with that steel (btw same steel as in your tactical knife but now its brittle) and g10 handles. its a little shorter but made by a much better company with a much better reputation.

i was trying to be polite for most of this conversation but you basically just continue to show that your knowledge of knives is very limited. you claim to test knifes in your spare time but you don't know about g10 or how s30v is a amazing knife steel, which steel is more brittle that has been listed. wow seriously your not making sense. where above did i say i was cutting boxes on a daily basis? seriously re read this thread and get back to me. i again want to point out i am not knocking your knife if you like it great but show me what makes it better than the above mentioned knives for the same price with better steels or a pretty similar knife with the exact steel for 25 dollars. i am pretty sure that being multi million dollar companies and producing hundreds of thousands of knives a year spyderco, benchmade, and kershaw have the freaking heat treat down too.

edited to add doesn't everybody love how everything is tactical now. my god what did we do before that word. i can't count the number of knives i carried in iraq and afghanistan that never even new that word existed yet worked perfectly fine for everything i needed over there in those god forsaken places. and still carried perfectly fine back here in america with out any person giving me the second look for pulling it out to do a random chore with it. damn this tacticool stuff, i am not sure how i survived so long with out it

Last edited:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    sweet tactical post grunt.:D you might as well leave him alone because if the facts don't change him our opinion sure won't especially when he's getting checks from the company to sell for them.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Ok han talked me into it. I am stopping at the tactical gas station to buy a tactical knife made in tactical china to scrape the tactical dog doo doo off my tactical boots :)

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    HaHa Tyler
    :) darn it I forgot it wasnt regular dog doo doo it was from my tactical dog so it broke the chinese gas station knife. it clearly was not heat treated by hans personal knife maker/poongdog province street urchin :( now I will have to use a stick. Oh well as Han has shown us perception and cool factor are worth alot in his perception of Tactical knives. I just am not cool enough to own his knives I will stick with my Emersons and the like I am so ethnocentric in my use of American knives :)

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    Like I said in my first post. I stopped and looked at these knives, then moved on..!!! There was a reason I moved on.. These knives are CHEAP, cheap steel, flimsy liner lock, and oh yeah Micarta handles..!!!! I have micarta handles on $40.00 knives. ZT 350 $110.00 out the door...!!! Thank again Brad from Brads Knives..!!! He carries great quality knives..!!! I LOVE EMERSON KNIVES ALSO...!!!

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Right on Charlie. And I think it bares notice we all say whatever floats your boat han. I just think it also bares note we talk about our love for our ZT,emerson,strider,busse or insert other quality brand. Very few brags on "oh my gawd I bought a knife made in a chinese labor camp by the kids to slow to make nikes" the memory of a low price fades long before the bitter taste of low quality ever will. not saying alfas are inferior for what you do they may be perfect. for others they may be totally unsuitable.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom