• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I was cleaning out the DVR and found a video about Dick Proenneke from PBS.

In 1967 at the age of 50 Mr. Proenneke decided he wanted to go to Alaska and build a cabin to "live amongst nature". He built a cabin from the absolute ground up using nothing but hand tools and native materials while filming the build as he worked. He lived there alone for 30+ years after he completed the cabin in what is now a national park.

I am not sure what attracted me to the video in the first place (it has kind of a sappy "Will Rodgers" feel to it). This man committed 100% to his dream and then built it by himself in a place few humans, if any, had been.

If you ever get a chance to catch this on PBS, it is well worth an hour or so to sit and watch...probably not a lot of survival tips, but more "inspiration" in the form of "if this guy could do this, I could too if I had to "...

Here is the website if you are so inclined to see more: Alone in the Wilderness, DVD and VHS available, the story of Dick Proenneke

-Drew

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I saw a about 2 hours of it on National Geographic the other say. Simply awesome. The amazing part was his knowledge of pioneering and aboriginal skills. That's where teh dream is lsot for most of our generation. We just simply don't have the knowldege. I couldn't turn it off, but had a prior engagement and couldn't finish it. I might just check it our from the library.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I was cleaning out the DVR and found a video about Dick Proenneke from PBS.

In 1967 at the age of 50 Mr. Proenneke decided he wanted to go to Alaska and build a cabin to "live amongst nature". He built a cabin from the absolute ground up using nothing but hand tools and native materials while filming the build as he worked. He lived there alone for 30+ years after he completed the cabin in what is now a national park.

I am not sure what attracted me to the video in the first place (it has kind of a sappy "Will Rodgers" feel to it). This man committed 100% to his dream and then built it by himself in a place few humans, if any, had been.

If you ever get a chance to catch this on PBS, it is well worth an hour or so to sit and watch...probably not a lot of survival tips, but more "inspiration" in the form of "if this guy could do this, I could too if I had to "...

Here is the website if you are so inclined to see more: Alone in the Wilderness, DVD and VHS available, the story of Dick Proenneke

-Drew

I watched it on the local PBS broadcast. Very interesting but lacked detail. He had to move to a home after living in the wild totally self sufficient for many years (30 - I think) The newer versions are sold to make money (not for him) and I've heard more of scenery photography thing. He is/was one Hell of a man. His interior cabin temp in the winter was 30 - 40*'s and he considered that toasty warm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    I think a person would be hard pressed to accomplish that today. There are way too many regulations and requirements that would have to be met unless you already owned some land. Still very interesting though.

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If I didn't have a wife and kids, I could see me doing this. I could easily make this decision for myself, but not for them.

Heck, I'd have a Tumbleweed House if I could. Tumbleweed Tiny House Company

The Tumbleweed houses are a neat concept, in lieu of constructing a "cabin in the woods" I could put one of these up instead.

I think I could do it, but the family would revolt and "overthrow their leader" soon after completion I'm afraid.

That would be an ugly "family meeting"...I think even the dog would turn on me.

-Drew

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    One Man's Wilderness by Sam Keith is the book you want to read. It is the edited version of Proenneke's journals and is excellent.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I just watched the attached video (thanks Hoosier8) and am completely in awe of the experience. Simply amazing. I'm going to have to see if the library has the whole series. (Or youtube.)

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The Tumbleweed houses are a neat concept, in lieu of constructing a "cabin in the woods" I could put one of these up instead.

I think I could do it, but the family would revolt and "overthrow their leader" soon after completion I'm afraid.

That would be an ugly "family meeting"...I think even the dog would turn on me.

-Drew

Actually, we saw a really nice "single-wide" sized home at the State Fair last Thursday. Looks like a log cabin, finished interior w/a low-ceiling loft area. Don't know how well it would hold up, but the price was reasonable and it could be delivered anywhere. $57k to $75k.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Actually, we saw a really nice "single-wide" sized home at the State Fair last Thursday. Looks like a log cabin, finished interior w/a low-ceiling loft area. Don't know how well it would hold up, but the price was reasonable and it could be delivered anywhere. $57k to $75k.

i know what your talking about, it was at the monroe county fair. it's the one with the loft right? that thing is uber sweet1 they have othe models of them to.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I used to build mini barns with my dad while I was growing up. I've thought about getting that right piece of land and building a 20'x20' mini barn frame (with 16" studs) with a loft area/high gable, then insulating it and then covering it with log cabin siding. I'd finish the inside with roll insulation between the studs and finishing the inside with wood lap paneling. I'd build the loft open and have room for two beds. Maybe even get crafty and hook up an old pot belly cook stove. Probably even do casement windows and a sawn wood floor. Put in a ceiling fan and if I did it right, put it on top of a mini-basement for storage/storm shelter.

Nowhere near as rugged as his cabin, but I'd at least get the wife and kids to go camping more often!

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    "But I'd at least get the wife and kids to go camping more often!"

You have the same problem I do...the definition of "roughing it" varies on the family member. (Lack of a hair dryer is an issue for some of us).

One of the small houses from the fair and my chances of having my family actually attend the camping trip improve exponentially. :-)

-Drew

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I just got some sourdough starter in the mail from Denali, Alaska that I am told is the same strain of starter Dick Proenneke gave to a friend of his. Just need to figure this whole thing out without killing my starter and I'll be gtg with making bread on dry goods.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    A family member gave me the DVD for Christmas a couple of years ago, and then I read the book. Interesting story.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Man I love this story

Ahh I remember the first time I seen this, I was taken back how humble and self sufficient He was, The next day I was chitt chatting with my work mates about the show and told them to check it out, they all said that, that film was one of the best things they have ever watched on TV.
    Deffinitly one of my favorites.

On my list to "see before I die" I want to plan a trip up there to visit his site, Dick is deffinitly a hero of mine.

proenekke.jpg

Top Bottom