• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I have come to the decision to never fruit the beer. If it was meant to taste like a lime, orange, lemon, etc., it would have been brewed with it.

A lot of Hefes are brewed with orange and lemon zest, peels or juice. Adding the fruit enhances the flavor put in to the mix.

Lambics are (usually) open-vat Belgium beers brewed with LOTS of fruit and can pack 4 to 15 percent alcohol content. Pick one up sometime, but know they are expensive. Those monks were bored drunks!

Beer was often brewed hundreds of years ago with giant slabs of meat or whole plucked chickens or roosters. A lot of the times pubs would take chickens and preserve them in vats of beer to store during the harsher months. I have a recipe for it and can't find it online. Every combination of words I use, google only finds those weird beercan contraptions you put up chicken butts to make it taste like beer.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    A lot of Hefes are brewed with orange and lemon zest, peels or juice. Adding the fruit enhances the flavor put in to the mix.

Lambics are (usually) open-vat Belgium beers brewed with LOTS of fruit and can pack 4 to 15 percent alcohol content. Pick one up sometime, but know they are expensive. Those monks were bored drunks!

Beer was often brewed hundreds of years ago with giant slabs of meat or whole plucked chickens or roosters. A lot of the times pubs would take chickens and preserve them in vats of beer to store during the harsher months. I have a recipe for it and can't find it online. Every combination of words I use, google only finds those weird beercan contraptions you put up chicken butts to make it taste like beer.
    I agree that if zest, peels, or juice were involved in the brewing, a slice or wedge of the fruit would compliment the taste. But if I can't drink a beer without first adding fruit, I may as well not drink it.

I've only had Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic, but I wouldn't hesitate to try others.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Scutter, the first time I tried the Summer Shandy I didn't know what to think. I didn't expect a beer/lemonade mixture, but it was quite refreshing.

A shandy is beer mixed with lemonade.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I agree that if zest, peels, or juice were involved in the brewing, a slice or wedge of the fruit would compliment the taste. But if I can't drink a beer without first adding fruit, I may as well not drink it.

I've only had Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic, but I wouldn't hesitate to try others.

If you're ever in the area, I'll buy you one!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Stopped at 21st Amendment on my way home and picked up a sixer of Bell's Third Coast and a Fat Tire, and also a pint bottle of Paulaner Hefe-Weisbeir. I was a little disappointed in their selection. Seemed like they focused on three or four microbrews (but had pretty much every flavor that microbrew sells). Now that the Hop Shop is gone, I don't have another good beer place to go to. :(

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Stopped at 21st Amendment on my way home and picked up a sixer of Bell's Third Coast and a Fat Tire, and also a pint bottle of Paulaner Hefe-Weisbeir. I was a little disappointed in their selection. Seemed like they focused on three or four microbrews (but had pretty much every flavor that microbrew sells). Now that the Hop Shop is gone, I don't have another good beer place to go to. :(

Mmmm....Third Coast....

Salut...and have one for me!
    :cheers:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

Well, if they have every flavor of Bell's (at least within season), it sounds like that place is at the very least on the right track.:yesway:

:D

Third Coast is awesome...I'm not a big fan of Fat Tire though.

Has anyone had Bell's Expedition? Yum!:40oz:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Well, if they have every flavor of Bell's (at least within season), it sounds like that place is at the very least on the right track.:yesway:

:D

Third Coast is awesome...I'm not a big fan of Fat Tire though.

Has anyone had Bell's Expedition? Yum!:40oz:

Generally, I'm not a fan of Bell's, but I thought I'd try Third Coast (and yes, they had LOTS of Bell's). ISTR that I didn't like the Fat Tire either, but couldn't remember. It was on sale, though, so I figured I'd try it again. A guy I work with drinks it, so I can always trade it off.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    One I like when I can find it.

16apuf9.jpg

Otherwise I drink Coors or Killian's Red. Samual Adams used to have a Black and Tan but I haven't been able to find any for 2-3 years.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    One I like when I can find it.

16apuf9.jpg

Otherwise I drink Coors or Killian's Red. Samual Adams used to have a Black and Tan but I haven't been able to find any for 2-3 years.

Not sure how you can have a pre-mixed black and tan since it's generally a stout beer floating on top of a pale beer like an ale. :scratch: My preference is a Guinness Draught and Bass (or Smithwick's) Ale.

My beer is definately Miller Lite. Goes down smooth warm or cold.

Comes back up the same way. :):

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Now ain't that a beautiful, but sad sight? A nice Bell's sitting before me, but barely filling up an Imperial pint glass halfway. We're getting robbed on our beer bottles in the U.S.
    *sigh*

fz0zuv.jpg

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County

Crown Liquors on 116th/Brookschool and their location off of 37 and 141st, outstanding beer selection. Typically great staff as well, I recommend them to anyone.

Top Bottom