All new Pmags fit tight and not drop out?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    You can lightly sand them so they go in and out smoother but no the magwell will not get broken in.

That really shouldn't be necessary, should it? Is this a known issue or something? I just checked my 6 30-round Pmags as well as 4 20-round Pmags, they all fit just fine, no wobble in the magwell or anything, and they all drop free with a press of the mag release.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I have heard of this before, but mine aren't a problem so I didn't pay much attention to it. Wasn't there something about it in that thread about the military not allowing pmags anymore?

Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    I just ordered 5 standard pmags from brownells, they fit tight and won't drop free. I took the dremel and a sanding wheel smoothed out the back lip on the mag and they work great now.
    Anelson

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Are you guys sure it's the mags and not the magazine catch?? Press the mag release button in as far as you can and I bet they will fall out. If that's the case back your mag catch off a turn.

Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    Yes I know about mags hanging up on the catch button. On my rifle its not been just the pmags most all mags have and issue hanging up. It shows wear marks where the aluminum mags hung up on the back strap. I sanded down those pmags and the fit perfectly now.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    When you say new, do you mean the Rev. M Pmags? If so, all of mine drop free from my Spike's AR.

As far as the mag release needing adjustment, the 2 mags that came with the rifle fall freely just fine.

Where do I look to know if the 2 I have are Rev. M Pmags? I do see a M on the bottom above a circle with O2 in it. I can see slight shiney marks down both sides of the rear and front of the mag where it has rubbed on the magwell. I might try to lightly sand the shiney marks and see if that cures the problem.

Guess this is better than them being loose and rattling around.:noway:

Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    15dnwq1.jpg

106zct0.jpg

First is the sanded down pmag and the second is a mag from Bravo Company that after running it in and out of the lower works fine now. You can see the scratchs on the metal one where it was hanging up. After sanding down the pmags that fit and function perfect. It might just be my lower...??? Its a RRA lower, I tried a frinds old pmags and had the same issue his mags were very well worn in. I dont know if this is just my isolated incident or what???
    Andrew

Last edited:

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I don't think it is normal but it is common.

DPMS | Panther Arms: DPMS Panther Lite 16 and PMAG 30 magazines - View Post

DPMS is sometimes known for having inconsistent QC from time to time. When you get a GOOD one, you really get a good one. Contact the MFG and tell them of your issues and see if they will make it right.

One of the lowers I've built up is from a DPMS lower and it accepts P-Mags with no issue.

First Gen S&W M&P AR-15ss had a similar issue when they first came out.

Take a bore light/snake and put it in the magwell of your DPMS and see if there are any burrs or uneven spots. If there is, sandpaper it and try your Magpul mags again.

On the last DPMS I built, it seems like it wouldn't drop free Pmags at first but either wear on the mags or wear on the lower occurred and eventually I could use them with no problem.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    That really shouldn't be necessary, should it? Is this a known issue or something? I just checked my 6 30-round Pmags as well as 4 20-round Pmags, they all fit just fine, no wobble in the magwell or anything, and they all drop free with a press of the mag release.

I have read about this being a problem before, the op just lightly sanded his and they dropped fine.:dunno:

Top Bottom