• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    We did a Sandles all inclusive in Playa del Carmen, which is about 30 minutes south of Cancun. We loved it. Quiet and safe on the property, but you could go into town or up to Cancun to have some fun. Would highly recommend it. Probably going back in 2.5 years to celebrate our 10 year anniversary.

^^^What he said^^^

We stayed at the Grand Palladium near Playa del Carmen. It was great. It was 10 years ago, so a lot could've changed. I am not big on sitting on the beach, and there is plenty to do, besides drinking margaritas and smoking Cuban cigars, although I did thoroughly enjoy that as well.

Near Playa del Carmen is a place called Xcaret. Like a zoo/theme park combo. It is awesome. Mexico must have a few less lawyers than we do because you can do things in that park that you will NEVER do in the US.

Chichen Itza and Tulum are Mayan sites that are great day trips if you're into that.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    My wife wants to stay at the caves. It's the number one hotel on that list. It doesn't really have a beach though, and that scratches it for me.

couples swept away... Meh. It's nice but not top 11

Last edited:

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    I've been to Jamaica 3 times, my 4th will be coming up next month. I would highly recommend staying away from these all inclusive resorts. If it's your first time you should really consider going out and trying new things and experiencing the island. Most of these resorts try to push you to stay on site and spend your money there. Plus there are crowded, food sucks, security is a pain, etc. We rent a house right on the beach and start exploring from there.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    It really pays to research each resort individually for what is "included" versus what is "extra". Our Sandals resort in St. Lucia, for instance, cost extra to visit the spa (which neither my wife or I cared about), included golf (which was kind of neat, although we only used it for one time) but here was the jackpot - UNLIMITED SCUBA was included! (Scuba is usually extremely expensive for multiple tank dives and/or multiple dives per day)

So, depending on what you know you like to do, it's probably worth tailoring your choice to a resort that caters to it.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    I've been looking at different options and a few of the places I've looked up don't even offer same day arrivals to fly to out of Indy or Cincinnati. That pretty much eliminates them as I'm not going to lose a day each way via layover to get there and back. Barbados seemed to be a pretty cool looking place.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've been to Jamaica 3 times, my 4th will be coming up next month. I would highly recommend staying away from these all inclusive resorts. If it's your first time you should really consider going out and trying new things and experiencing the island. Most of these resorts try to push you to stay on site and spend your money there. Plus there are crowded, food sucks, security is a pain, etc. We rent a house right on the beach and start exploring from there.

Don't leave the all-inclusives or rent your own private place on the beach unless and until you know your way around Jamaica. It is dangerous. Serious warning. I lived in Kingston for six years. Visited all the tourist locations often—Ocho Rios, Runaway Bay, Blue Lagoon, Monetgo Bay, Negril, etc.

If you leave the all-inclusive grounds, go only with known drivers and tour guides recommended by the hotel/resort. Leave an itinerary and time schedule with the management or with family/friends who are on site. Do not rent a car and drive. Hire a driver. If anything happens, and it often does, you will not leave the island until it is settled—and it will be on you to pay since you are the foreigner. Cash or insurance will do, but you WILL pay. Seriously, stay in the resort or take resort organized day trips outside the resort. It is dangerous.

On the day I left Jamaica for a new assignment in Indiana a gang set up the cops and launched a bloody assault on the unit sent to investigate. Pinned them down in their car until help arrived and the pitched battle ensued, lasting most of the day. It was on the main road from Constant Spring to the airport. Traffic had to detour through the down town area.

During my time there gunfire occasionally disrupted Sunday services. Congregation was on the floor under the pews.

People leaving church on Sunday had acid thrown on them - folks aimed for the face.

There are some great and wonderful folks in Jamaica, but they have learned the ropes and know how to avoid trouble. Took me a year to gain a good sense of who I could trust and who I should watch carefully. If you do not know the local patterns, stay in the resort. What you do not know will get you into difficulties.

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    Don't leave the all-inclusives or rent your own private place on the beach unless and until you know your way around Jamaica. It is dangerous. Serious warning. I lived in Kingston for six years. Visited all the tourist locations often—Ocho Rios, Runaway Bay, Blue Lagoon, Monetgo Bay, Negril, etc.

If you leave the all-inclusive grounds, go only with known drivers and tour guides recommended by the hotel/resort. Leave an itinerary and time schedule with the management or with family/friends who are on site. Do not rent a car and drive. Hire a driver. If anything happens, and it often does, you will not leave the island until it is settled—and it will be on you to pay since you are the foreigner. Cash or insurance will do, but you WILL pay. Seriously, stay in the resort or take resort organized day trips outside the resort. It is dangerous.

On the day I left Jamaica for a new assignment in Indiana a gang set up the cops and launched a bloody assault on the unit sent to investigate. Pinned them down in their car until help arrived and the pitched battle ensued, lasting most of the day. It was on the main road from Constant Spring to the airport. Traffic had to detour through the down town area.

During my time there gunfire occasionally disrupted Sunday services. Congregation was on the floor under the pews.

People leaving church on Sunday had acid thrown on them - folks aimed for the face.

There are some great and wonderful folks in Jamaica, but they have learned the ropes and know how to avoid trouble. Took me a year to gain a good sense of who I could trust and who I should watch carefully. If you do not know the local patterns, stay in the resort. What you do not know will get you into difficulties.

I agree with that yes, however you did spend your time in Kingston so I totally understand. I spend my time in Negril, yes you must be careful but I still feel comfortable walking the beach at night etc.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    We love Excellence Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. We have been there six times and our making our seventh trip this winter. Excellence Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, Overview, April 2012.mov - YouTube
    Walk around the pool at the Excellence Punta Cana - YouTube

After a bit more research, I may be leaning this direction now. For the reviews/price, Excellence seems to offer the biggest bang for your buck, at least for a trip to Punta Cana. I priced a trip in June and can probably get it done for right around $3k.

Now just to see if there are any other destinations that might get the nod over Punta Cana.

rcwill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 12, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If you are considering Cancun check out Le Blanc...it is all-inclusive and really nice. Also you might want to look at the all-inclusive Ritz-Carlton in Montego Bay Jamaica...I had a great time at both.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Something I just remembered:

To SOME people - donating blood is a BIG DEAL.

Shortly after we returned from our honeymoon, we attempted to donate. The State of Punta Cana, in the DR, is one of the "you must wait a year before you can donate again" restricted zones.

Probably won't matter to the vast majority of people, but it MAY to someone.

-J-

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    I've priced Excellence in Punta Cana with airfare at $1382/person all-inclusive. Hard to believe I'll find a better deal unless I went to more of a party town like Cancun which doesn't really interest me.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Something I just remembered:

To SOME people - donating blood is a BIG DEAL.

Shortly after we returned from our honeymoon, we attempted to donate. The State of Punta Cana, in the DR, is one of the "you must wait a year before you can donate again" restricted zones.

Probably won't matter to the vast majority of people, but it MAY to someone.

-J-

DR to me is too dirty, too 3rd World and too Sleazy but to each his own

Just got back and had a wonderful time at the Barcelo. This place was a little further down the coast But a 4 -5 star resort. Great pools, Great beach, Great Food/Liquor and an Excellent accommodation. The Palace is the 5 Star and we were at the Colonial Tropical (4 star), all on the same property. You have access to all, the Palace gives you Premium Liquor and an Ocean View. The courtyard View is excellent and not really that different. We spent, 2200 (for 2) for 9 days - taxes, air, transportation - everything included.

Barceló Maya Tropical Hotel All Inclusive resort in Riviera Maya, Mexico | Barcelo.com

http://www.mexicobeachexperts.com/ma...-beach-map.pdf

Made our reservations thru these folks and they are Good to go Vacations, Resorts, and All-Inclusive Packages | CheapCaribbean.com)

They have reps at the airport to make sure that you get your transportation and reps at the resort to help with any problems and to schedule your return to the airport. I can't say enough nice things about these folks. Last trip we stayed at the Sandos closer to Playa del Carmen, great place but the Barceló is a step up.

Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa - Hotel in Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Friends have gone to the Dominican, not near as nice as the Mexican Riviera.

mg_srt

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Elkhart/South Bend
    Couples negril. Romantic Getaways At All Inclusive Couples Resorts In Jamaica | Couples Resorts Jamaica

we have been there four times. All inclusive alcohol, food, diving, snorkeling, etc... Foam floats for when you're in the calmest water in the Caribbean. They just renovated it as well. Look at tripadvisor reviews. Jamaica is cheaper than the USVI or BVI as well.
    My wife and I we also there several years ago it was beautiful, horseback riding in the mountains, the falls, and of course the aqua blue water. After I am done with school we will definitely be going back!!

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Greenwood
    My wife and I honeymooned in Dom Rep 2+ years ago, and it was an awesome time. We stayed at the Majestic Elegance ( all inclusive ) in Punta Cana. The beaches are amazing, water is super clean and the majority of staff spoke English and were friendly. We only left the resort for a half day snorkel trip, and it as a good time. Dinner was always good at the various restaurants, but breakfast/lunch aren't anything special. The bars have top-shelf booze if you ask for it (drank a lot of Johnny Walker black). :D Our room location really made it a great experience, literally on the beach. I guess they weren't all booked because they upgraded us to a substantially more expensive room for free.

Majestic Elegance Punta Cana (Dominican Republic) - Resort (All-Inclusive) Reviews - TripAdvisor

Views from our balcony, yeah we got lucky!

NiksPics042.jpg

NiksPics041.jpg

noname1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    It is a lot further, but the best vacation I ever had was 3 days at Lindos Bay Hotel in Rhodes, Greece. This was about 17 years ago, but my wife and I stayed there and ate/drank like royalty for about $100/day (total for both of us). It was like a cruise ship without the motion sickness. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Bigdaddybell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2013
    Crown Point
    My wife and I stayed at the Sandals Resort in the Bahamas for our 10 day honeymooon. If you like to eat and drink, all-inclusive is the way to go. the food was excellent, lots of choices and different resteraunts, excellent service, and more alcohol and drinks than you can imagine.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    After more research, I think I've opted for a resort in Cancun-Sun Palace to be exact. $1400pp and we get another $1500 in resort credits to use for swimming with dolphins, spa, trips to ruins, zip line, etc etc. The place was listed as the #25 all-inclusive resort worldwide as listed by tripadvisor.com. I think the resort credit seals the deal unless it would turn out that you're forced to use credit to upgrade from a burger and fries to a steak for each dinner type of thing.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom