• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Didn't know about this man in Fort Wayne -

But I did know a young guy that this happened to less than 2 months ago. He was living in NW IN, cleaning his guns in the bathroom (where the kids couldn't see or touch the guns) and accidentally shot himself. Leaving behind his wife and children.

I played basketball with him when I was a kid. It makes me sick.

Remember that safety isn't just for you, it's also for anyone that you would leave behind if something happened.

All guns are always loaded

Never let the muzzle cross anything you're not willing to destroy

Know your target and what's beyond it

Never try to catch a falling gun

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    shotgun accident

I was at IUmedcented visiting my bro and sis-in-law. The nurse on duty said he took care of the guy.

I guess he was cleaning a loaded, non-safetied shotgun. His wife said all four children and herself was in the room. He apparently smacked the butt of the shotgun on the floor and it went off.

The projectiles nearly severed his arm off instantly. (right arm)

The nurse had been a Marine, and from what he was indicating, he has seen better in gunshot wounds.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    I was trying to figure out how you would even shoot yourself while cleaning a shotgun. Bumping it on the floor and shooting your arm off looks like the way. Yikes. Thanks for the reminder. Clear, re-clear, and re-reclear every time!

tsmysak1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Hmmm.. in public we always talk about it like we are all safe...In reality, it is not so. At the range and at shows, I see very poor handling. I decided some time ago I would always speak up when I see it. It makes people real angry on rare occassion, but I would rather have then angry than dead.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Just a suggestion, but when dry firing or cleaning, I make a point to unload the gun in a different room. Don't leave the ammo sitting near you where you could make a mistake. Also, once finished dry firing, load the gun and change your scenario. Ie, if you are sitting dry firing, don't load and stay in that chair. Get up and do something else. The change in scenery will hopefully prevent dry firing with a now-loaded gun

Nathan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Wabash, Indiana
    the only good news about this story is that it wasn't a gang related shooting, or any other kind of homicede threat. prayers sent to family and friends of the victim.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Good point, tsmysak.. I read about these sort of things when they come up and I often wonder how people get themselves in this sort of mess.

Maybe it's part of being around firearms throughout my life, or maybe it's being the son of a firefighter/paramedic/LEO.. but I view my firearms in one of two ways - loaded or disassembled. A rifle without a bolt is, in my experience, pretty safe. Everything else is loaded!! It doesn't matter if there are rounds in it or not, it's loaded to me..

tsmysak1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    The culture could use a little improvement. My dad picked a rifle up off a table at a show once and it had a full clip in it. Lesson: Keep in mind that many gun show accidents happen because dealers bring in loaded guns. Only the patrons get checked. "all guns are loaded" is not just a safe practice, but is sometimes a reality.

On a pistol range, people are especially careless. I have been swept with the muzzle many times and those weapons are usually loaded. Make it clear to those people that being careless is unacceptable.

A month ago a guy in a shop pulled his carry piece out to show the counter attendant. Pointed it right at me. No doubt it was loaded. I almost always will embarrass those people. --- Process improvement by public humiliation...

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I was in Premier Arms in BBurg last week when a guy brought in several items and started pulling out a Remington SG. He started messing around with it and then handed it to the employee who cleared it of 3 shells.
    Should have seen the customers face when they hit the counter...

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I tend to agree with another post that Annie made.....

Very few accidental shootings......... most are negligence, or stupidity.

It's a tragedy, but one that should have been avoided.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I tend to agree with another post that Annie made.....

Very few accidental shootings......... most are negligence, or stupidity.

It's a tragedy, but one that should have been avoided.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a post she's made with which I don't agree.

:+1: Annie. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I guess my qoutin is how do you really clean a loded gun.

I think you mean "question" (and "loaded") above, and if so, I'm not sure. I know to clean mine (and the way to clean properly, IMHO) I put the jag, brush, or mop in from the chamber, so I don't know how you do that with a round there. This is why I like bore snakes; unless the action's open and the chamber's clear, there is no "cleaning" happening. Seems to work well for pistols, rifles, and shotties. I don't have a wheelgun to test that theory, but I can't imagine it'd be a whole lot different.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom