• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    I have the Heat Cell cans. Has 2 tabs inner lid will last for 5 hours and outter (larger output of heat) lid lasts for 10hrs I believe.

I plan to use these as either a quick cooking source (on the move and just need to stop long enough to eat) or as a fire starter (easy to light and will be permanent flame even in windy scenarios) this way matches/lighting source is conserved. I however havent tried using a striker to light it. I took a can of Ravoli (was a heavy duty looking can) and cut it down and then drilled holes around it and used it to set my pan on, nice little setup. I boiled 2 hot dogs while on vacation in a hotel. :D

I enjoy the roughing it attitude even if we were in a hotel. We didn't have the means to cook anything so I pulled out my setup and cooked 4 hotdogs and then made some Smores!

Here is a similar setup

CAMP-097 - Sterno Emegency Preparedness Kit Includes 6" Folding Stove, Odorless, Smokeless, Clean Burn

And these are the specs of what I have:

Indefinite shelf life. Use part of it now
    then use the rest 50 years later.
    Easy to re-light Spill Resistant
    WILL NOT IGNITE OUTSIDE OF CAN!
    5 hr. Cooker @ 450 Degrees
    10+ hr. Warmer @ 250 Degrees
    Two-ring lid Enables you to Choose
    Non-Toxic
    Odorless Burn
    100% Biodegradable/InertExceeds CA Proposition 65 (Clean Air Act) Requirements
    Making it Acceptable For Air Shipment

Last edited:

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have to say, when it get's down to it, while warm/hot food is nice, most of what food I would have wouldn't need to be cooked/heated. It would be more for comfort. To be honest, a couple protein bars, or a jar of peanuts, or some gorp would be fine for a get home situation, why complicate it? And if you really need to heat something for whatever reason, just have the regular fire making tools. Not to denegrate this idea, it is interesting and another way to do something, but it takes time and effort...how far are you planning on going to get home?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    First, it should be noted alcohol stoves are crap if set on a cold surface so not an item you can trust your life to year round. Second, by the far the best is the Trangia.

That being said I have made many, a lot of them my own design or modified ideas etc....One of the easiest is 4 brass shells wrapped in tin foil, I use .45. 4 shells in a square pattern, small piece of foil holding all 4 side by side in a square set. Never seen anyone else do it, but with the Esbit it is cool. It will even burn some hand sanitizers.

The most useful is one I made was from a Velamint tin. Stress velamint, not altoid. They are different sizes and the velamint fits in an Esbit stove, and stores in it when folded too. This gives me the option of using alcohol with the Esbit, which I always carry. Esbit worked in the arctice circle for my old man 60 years ago, still works today. Esbit fuel or Triox bars, hard to beat for fast and reliable heat.

C.H.U.D.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Elkhart
    small sterno stoves are avalible at walmart and work better fold flat fual cans last along time and are resealable

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The only problems with Sterno and heat tabs are what do you do when you run out?

At least with a multi fuel stove you have several options for fuel sources...

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    again, the idea being here is to increase the odds of survival by adding another skill.

If I were stuck in my office at work, I can see myself scrounging something like this up with two cans and alcohol from a first aid kit.

I guess I'm more play McGyver here than planning for something, as I've get sterno on my shelves at home.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have to say, when it get's down to it, while warm/hot food is nice, most of what food I would have wouldn't need to be cooked/heated. It would be more for comfort. To be honest, a couple protein bars, or a jar of peanuts, or some gorp would be fine for a get home situation, why complicate it? And if you really need to heat something for whatever reason, just have the regular fire making tools. Not to denegrate this idea, it is interesting and another way to do something, but it takes time and effort...how far are you planning on going to get home?

In a worst case scenario if I'm looking to get home using my BOB in a SHTF occasion , a fire would be the last thing I'd try and do, it would bring all kinds of attention to you that you may not want especially at night time.

A coke can alcohol stove will provide a fair amount of heat to warm your hands and heat up water for coffee or a can of beans or anything else, and a 12 oz bottle of denatured alcohol will provide a lot of burn time in a small punch.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    In a worst case scenario if I'm looking to get home using my BOB in a SHTF occasion , a fire would be the last thing I'd try and do, it would bring all kinds of attention to you that you may not want especially at night time.

A coke can alcohol stove will provide a fair amount of heat to warm your hands and heat up water for coffee or a can of beans or anything else, and a 12 oz bottle of denatured alcohol will provide a lot of burn time in a small punch.

very good point and all with little to no smoke

we tested one out down in the basement, made some soup and the kids thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Hoping to teach them cool little stuff like that.

Top Bottom