• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Wolves are predators. It wouldn't concern me to live in Alaska where they are common but I'm ***NOT*** going to shove Ipod earbuds in my ears and go trail running solo... particularly if I am an "athletic" 4'11" girl.

Same thing happened in Saskatchewan a few years ago. You run? You look like prey. You remove yourself from the environment by shoving earbuds in? Now you look like terrified prey who won't acknowledge the probe of the predator but just blindly runs.

Dollars to donuts says that with a bit more situational awareness, had she turned, stopped, loudly yelled at the pariah wolf pack, that they would have moved on to real prey.

This happens with folks speeding along trails on mtn bikes in mountain lion territory.

Maintain awareness and preparedness.

Do I think Indiana is a good candidate for wolf reintroduction? No.

Do I want to see the world scrubbed clean of all predators so folks can walk blindly around in "safety?" No.

I feel more alive when the margin of safety for living is more narrow. Whether it is on a technical rapid in a whitewater kayak, cold weather camping, 8 miles from land during solo open water kayak paddling in L Superior, or solo summer backpacking in the Four Corners area.

The wussification of North America - thru liability lawsuits or legislation - smacks in the face of common sense survival.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    A friend from the area has stated that it is a known fact a small pack of wolves, 3-4 of them, has been patrolling the area around town in an agressive manner.

No matter how tall you are running through predator territory will get you noticed. Be it the bush or an urban alley.

We are up to our eyeballs in Coyotes in Indy. I have a large, active pack right here, across the street.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    Indiana can no longer sustain wolf packs. With how large their home range is, it would be almost impossible imho. Most any introduced would be hit by vehicles or shot by hunters who "thought they were shooting the biggest yote they'd ever seen" within the first year lol.... I think it would be cool to have wolf and elk and all sorts of animals that no longer reside in IN back... but in today's society... just not feaseable. People freak out too much about coyotes and "mountain lion" sightings to actually have wolves here. Yes I don't doubt the possibility of SOME of these sightings, but many people are just "crying wolf" :D imo.

Unfortunate loss for this woman's family. But as stated, a little more situational awareness and perhaps...protection... would have avoided this problem. Sad outcome though..

:patriot:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    If Indiana had a true wolf population it might help reduce some of the other problem critters we do have.. we have a very lare coyote & feral dog population . I think the dogs pose a greater risk than wolves do..

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Indiana can no longer sustain wolf packs. With how large their home range is, it would be almost impossible imho. Most any introduced would be hit by vehicles or shot by hunters who "thought they were shooting the biggest yote they'd ever seen" within the first year lol....

Can't sustain? They said the same thing in WI 25 years ago, and now they are well esablished. Both WI. MN and a few of the MT packs have very small home ranges, and they survive quite nice.

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This reminds me of one of the most unintentionally awesome publications by an animal rights group ever.

AlaskaShooters.jpg

I'd shoot both, for sure.

I used to not think much of wolves, but after seeing the one Hoosier Trapper has mounted, I'd hate to meet one face to face.

Indiana Feller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    The good folks who settled this land where no dumb people. The removed a lot of nuisance wildlife for good reason. They settled and farmed. Predators are not a farmer / gatherers friend. I know it is not pc but we were just fine without the wolves / coyote in my opinion.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    If Indiana had a true wolf population it might help reduce some of the other problem critters we do have.. we have a very lare coyote & feral dog population . I think the dogs pose a greater risk than wolves do..

Agree. Check out National Geographic this month. Cover story on reintroduction. Lays out nicely the ecological balance of introducing an apex predator and what it does for the over all numbers of wildlife and habitat.

Never will happen here though because IN has become hooked on our 120K year deer harvest. Money and jobs game. Lots of licensing and sustainability of DNR jobs.

Last edited:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Wolves are predators. It wouldn't concern me to live in Alaska where they are common but I'm ***NOT*** going to shove Ipod earbuds in my ears and go trail running solo... particularly if I am an "athletic" 4'11" girl.

Same thing happened in Saskatchewan a few years ago. You run? You look like prey. You remove yourself from the environment by shoving earbuds in? Now you look like terrified prey who won't acknowledge the probe of the predator but just blindly runs.

Dollars to donuts says that with a bit more situational awareness, had she turned, stopped, loudly yelled at the pariah wolf pack, that they would have moved on to real prey.

This happens with folks speeding along trails on mtn bikes in mountain lion territory.

Maintain awareness and preparedness.

Do I think Indiana is a good candidate for wolf reintroduction? No.

Do I want to see the world scrubbed clean of all predators so folks can walk blindly around in "safety?" No.

I feel more alive when the margin of safety for living is more narrow. Whether it is on a technical rapid in a whitewater kayak, cold weather camping, 8 miles from land during solo open water kayak paddling in L Superior, or solo summer backpacking in the Four Corners area.

The wussification of North America - thru liability lawsuits or legislation - smacks in the face of common sense survival.

Could not have said it better myself.

People think that they can go out into a predator's area and because they are human then they are ok.

MOST in Alaska are smart and are aware.........

My grandparent's live at the foot hill's of the rockies in CO, during mating season they are very carefull walking around their neighborhood. The Elk come out and are rather agressive......... and they live in a pretty poplulated area....... They say you just listen for them and when you see one you turn around and walk the other way and there is no problem's....... listening to your ipod distract's you............

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    Can't sustain? They said the same thing in WI 25 years ago, and now they are well esablished. Both WI. MN and a few of the MT packs have very small home ranges, and they survive quite nice.

Define "very small home ranges" please.

Well I don't disagree that we have the available food source for them... but we do not have enough open wooded land for a solid population to form. Besides, it will never happen in IN because deer hunting provides the most profit for the DNR and they wouldn't jeopardize the deer population.

Gray wolf have an average home range of over 50 square miles in wooded areas. With all of the open farm ground that we have it would be SIGNIFICANTLY more. We could not hold a dense population... could some survive and do well.. absolutely.. but... I can tell you now whether it is legal/right... you would see them get shot on sight...and left where they lay. And because the average population may only be one wolf every 50-60 square miles (sometimes more sometimes less) you may not find the population being able to sustain itself. They don't become sexually mature until their second year of life. So unless they were HEAVILY restocked... they aren't coming back.

:twocents:

50apiguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    Clark County
    Call me crazy but ive seen a wolf in indiana. I was spotlighting near the old ammunition plant in Charlestown a couple of years ago. Maybe its was a coydog hybrid or wolf hybrid of some sort but it sure looked like a wolf.

greatone53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    wolf attack

My wife's alaskan, so we spend a great bit of time up there. I would NEVER go jogging, walking, meandering, snowshowing, snowmachining etc..without a large sidearm Bear and Wolves and angry momma moose are all too common even in Anchorage to go out naked. running girl = unprepared, simple as that.

maarlborogto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    if this does happen and they do put wolves here get at least a .357 as a sidearm to carry with you in the woods best advise there i was stationd in washington state in the army and there were bears and mountin lions there so even if i was bird hunding i packed my .44 magnum with me every time

Top Bottom