• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    The truth is I want both of them but I just want to see what everyones opinion is on the two and which you prefer.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I have an Arsenal SGL-31 (AK-74) I prefer the AK-74 over the 47. The AK-74 is just as reliable as the AK-47, Its lighter weight, Its inherently more accurate, ammo is cheaper, it recoils a lot less, and the 5.45 round had been shown to be more effective on people then the 7.62x39.

The only advantage the AK-47 has is its a little cheaper to buy and magazines are cheaper and easier to find.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    A lot of people are speculating about new shipments of magazines coming into the country but it hasn't happened yet.
    When there is another big influx of magazines I expect rifle and ammo sales to really take off. If you want a 74 you might want to go ahead get it and the ammo. Hopefully the next batch of magazines will cost a lot less than what they do now.

Sullivan_pbr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Romney
    I love my 74. Only real downfall I see is the cost of mags, which has already been mentioned. That being said I still have my eye out for a good priced 47.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    My preference is for the Ak-47 and i own Ak's in 223, 5.45, and 7.62.

I prefer the size and heft of a 308 bullet for penetrating intermediate barriers and just causing a crap ton of damage altogether. Yes the smaller calibers are inherently more accurate, but we're talking the difference between raquet ball and soft ball sized groups at 50yrds. If i had to have just one it would be the AK-47 for sub 200yrd encounters. The benefits are availability of mags, ammo, parts, the ability to punch through cement, and the ability for the round to stay on its trajectory when passing through brush.

If you're going to be taking shots past 200yrds with magnified optics, then i'd pick the 74 over the 47. Reason being is it doesn't matter how accurate the gun is, i can't even see a person sized target wearing dark clothing at 200+ i certainly won't be able to see him with iron sights. In that realm i'd want the more accurate, optic equipped gun.

I hope that helps. Whatever you chose it'll be awesome. All of my AK's are the coolest guns I own. If you get a 74 stock up on mags whenever you see a deal.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I like them both, hell I just like AKs in general. My go to is a 74, BUT I got into the 74 when ammo and mags were cheap. If I were to get into one today, I would probably go 47 because

(1) Ammo: cheap surplus 5.45 ammo isn't a guarantee forever. Eventually it will dry up and then there will be no advantage left.

(2) Mags: 74 mag prices are ridiculous right now. All of the vendors that are out there don't see it getting better anytime soon (at least if they are, they sure don't say it when they are asked), there isn't a viable US made option, or even a readily available comblock option similar to the circle 10 bulgy mags you can get for 7.62x39 all over. You can get 47 mags for $10 pretty easily if you look.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I like them both, hell I just like AKs in general. My go to is a 74, BUT I got into the 74 when ammo and mags were cheap. If I were to get into one today, I would probably go 47 because

(1) Ammo: cheap surplus 5.45 ammo isn't a guarantee forever. Eventually it will dry up and then there will be no advantage left.

(2) Mags: 74 mag prices are ridiculous right now. All of the vendors that are out there don't see it getting better anytime soon (at least if they are, they sure don't say it when they are asked), there isn't a viable US made option, or even a readily available comblock option similar to the circle 10 bulgy mags you can get for 7.62x39 all over. You can get 47 mags for $10 pretty easily if you look.

^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    I love the AK platform and respect Vehemently respect them. They are not as accurate as the AR15 which was designed to be accurate. But they are brutal on the bussiness and and they fail..to fail...ever. Ive seen back woods clansmen in a desert take parts out of worn out 50's date stamped rifles and place parts in other countries manufacture. Test and the result...the rifle goes boom and the bullet goes in the general direction intended. That said...any 7.62 or 5.45 rifle will be a good friend on patrol, in your safe, or at your local range. nice thing is..every body makes ...grips, stocks, handguards..with or with out rails, new sights, replacements (KVAR), you name it- and it can be had including magazines and ammo. Tula makes some dirty arse ammo...but i can buy it in 5.45 at Walmart cheap and magazines from Magpul or KVAR/Arsenal. so either way you go..you cant miss...well with an ak you can...but not the intended point i had. i personally own a wasr10 (cheap ass but fires), and an Arsenal SA M-7. Both in 7.62x39. neither fails to go bang or cheap out on fun. I sold an old wasr type 5.45 due to reliability (canted sights, gas block misaligned, keyholing at 50 yards). This was the manufacturers fault. As i stated above...non-educated men make them work..i firmly believe century makes a concerted effort to make their ak's fail. But Ak is never a bad way to go..either round

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    AK-74 ALL the way

I love the AK-74 variant of rifles for all the reasons mentioned before. More accurate, cheaper, and easier to shoot.

The 7.62 AK just don't work for me. Physically painful to shoot (on the cheek bone for some reason, not so with SKS for some reason) but '74 barely even recoils.

Wife was able to hit 300 yard gong all day long with hers when we lived in Phoenix.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I'd love to see them in the AK market.

as long as they did them *right*.

It has been proven in the past that AK mags made with out steel reinforcement in the feed lips and locking lugs (at a minimum, ideally along the spine as well) just DONT LAST. Period.

AKs lock in different and function different. You can't get away with an all plastic mag in an AK, at least not when it counts. Range mags, sure.

Top Bottom