• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That video was one of the reasons why I bought an Arsenal AK. I really wish I'd have had the results you got. :(

Seaweed02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I wish I could Teddy12b

If you're happy with a mak-90 then that's what you should buy since you already know you'd be happy with its accuracy. You'll have all the look you want with it. Let us know how you like it when you buy it.

Teddy12b,

I really wish I could, because there are lots of them for sale on the internet. But I live in California. Northern California, but California still. Norinco and Polytech manufactured weapons are banned by brand name in this state. So I am looking for a couple other makes and models.

I have been thinking about getting a Zastava PAP M70 style AK47 rifle. Or an Arsenal SA M7 Classic. Or having a custom rifle built by a company called "The Firing Line" out of Oklahoma. They make a rifle with a milled receiver that they make themselves called the MLS99 receiver.

But I do want some opinions about barrels because I will probably want to upgrade.

RetroWally

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    That is not the reason that I am interested in the AK Teddy. I would rather pay a price close to what I would pay for an M1A1, or a quality AR, and have an accurate rifle. What appeals to me is the AK look.

I never thought I would even like the AK, until a couple of weeks ago. I went to visit a friend in Arizona and we went shooting. He had a Norinco MAK-90 and it shot really great. Very accurate and he had not done anything to it to beef it up either. It just came that way.

If it's the look that appeals to you, why not just buy an AK that has been converted to 5.56? They do make them, although I haven't ever fired one.

As for my input into the AK talk about which one to get due to accuracy. I bought myself a Hungarian AMD-65 AK for something like $430 a couple of months ago. I got it for the VERY aggressive look, the power of the 7.62 round like you mentioned and also the ability to modify it some what and maintain the AK appeal. I have been very happy with it and at 50 yards, some what taking my time with iron sights, I get a good 4-6" group. Taking my time and adding a scope I am sure I can knock something at 300 yards no problem. Of coarse after that its a guessing game because the 7.62 round just drops like a hot potato after 300 yards. Check it out and I hope this helps ya :)

Seaweed02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Great Video

Hey Teddy12b,

That was a great video. I wish that it would have been a test between an AK47 firing the 7.62x39 round.

I also wonder how that AK-74 would have done firing a comercially made or hand loaded 5.45x39 round.

But thanks for the video Teddy. And i certainly didn't mean to make you angry. Sorry if I offended you.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    About a month ago , I sold this guy

wol_error.gif
    This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 162KB.
    P3100010.jpg

it's a Draco pistol I converted into a rifle .

It had TechSights AR style , adjustable rear sights on it , a 5 1/2 " barrel extension on it .

The barrel extension did nothing for the rifle's accuracy since the extension's diameter is bigger than the barrel itself and it was ported all the way around it and down the entire length .

At Atterbury's 100 yard range , I could keep my shots inside an 8" circle "splatter" target .

That rifle also has an "evil twin" that I've put some tacticool stuff on .

I know a guy that has a home range of 130 yards and we shot that rifle .

We set up some standard 1 gallon milk jugs filled with colored water for targets .

I was able to hit the jugs from both standing and crouching positions repeatedly .

I'm thinking it's pretty darn accurate considering it's barrel is only 12 1/2" long .

I'd love to see what I / it can do at 150 - 200 yards .

Anyway , I'm thinking it's a combination of user skill and weapon that matters when it comes to accuracy .

Seaweed02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Tell me about your Arsenal

That video was one of the reasons why I bought an Arsenal AK. I really wish I'd have had the results you got. :(

Hey Teddy12b,

Tell me what kind of accuracy you got with the Arsenal. What kind of Arsenal did you have anyway?

I have heard that Arsenal rifles are very very nice. I myself am looking for the SA M7 Classic by the Arsenal company. Please enlighten me.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I took my Draco SBR out to the range and zeroed it in. 25yd zero. Shot it at 7yds, 25yds, 50yds, 100yds, and 200yds. All shot from the prone (except 7yds due to range rules) at the same target (the x) here were my results:

7132883567_1fd679b751.jpg

Keep in mind the Draco has about a 12" bbl so you will get more velocity out of a regular AK, but I was happy with this accuracy.

Seaweed02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I would have been happy also

I took my Draco SBR out to the range and zeroed it in. 25yd zero. Shot it at 7yds, 25yds, 50yds, 100yds, and 200yds. All shot from the prone (except 7yds due to range rules) at the same target (the x) here were my results:

7132883567_1fd679b751.jpg

Keep in mind the Draco has about a 12" bbl so you will get more velocity out of a regular AK, but I was happy with this accuracy.

I would have been happy with that accuracy also. You're only a few inches to the left and a little high at 200yds. That is great groupings for that weapon, don't you think? It does fire the 7.62x39 right?

elliotle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    I put a mil dot scope on my Arsenal SGL21. Zeroed at 100m, shot it and measured bullet drop at 50, 150, and 200m. I was shooting headshots on a silhouette target at 200m over and over.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I would have been happy with that accuracy also. You're only a few inches to the left and a little high at 200yds. That is great groupings for that weapon, don't you think? It does fire the 7.62x39 right?
    Yeah it shoots the 7.62x39. I only had one shot (pun intended) since I wanted all the groups on the same target.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Seaweed, to answer a few of your questions.

The AK is capable of minute of man accuracy, I get 3-4" groups consistently from any of mine.

The 7.62 round used in the AK is no where near the same as the 7.62 that we use in our .308. Different diameter differing weights. About any .308 Win will easily outshoot just about any 7.62x39mm.

Forget reloading 5.45x39mm, at least for the current time. Even the much more common 7.62x39mm & 7.62x54Rmm is harder to find components for.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have a converted Saiga AK74 with a Russian PKS-07 7x scope, that I was shooting 1" groups at 50 yards with surplus ammo. That was the first time out was this rifle, I think with more range time I can do better.

Dave

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    standing position, no rest, i can hit a grapefruit sized target every time at 40 yards. 75+ yards = about a 80% hit ratio.. not calling myself a crackshot, but i trust FULLY in my saiga to shoot straight with its open sights.

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    I have had several AKs and only had two that even slightly impressed me. The WASR both grouped minute of large pizza at 50 yards. My wifes CUR was capable of hitting a 2 foot round steel plate at 300 yards every time.

I tried to replace the WASR-10 with a Hungarian model. It is build much better and holds roughly 6-7 inch groups at 100 yards. When I want to shoot cheap ammo we generally shoot 5.45 or the SKS.

When people at work ask me about cheap AK accuracy I generally tell them that they shoot minute of west.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008

What caliber is your AK?

Have you tried optics?

The 7.62x39 AK's generally don't shoot as well as their 5.45x39 counterparts. If you have a 5.45x39 Arsenal that doesn't shoot well, you might just need to get some trigger time in with it.

Also, keep in mind the AKs iron sights aren't well suited for precision shooting. Many people struggle with them, especially those used to peep sights like those found on the AR. I've found the Krebs peep sight to improve my groups, I used one in the video (and the rifle was a 5.45x39).

Optics can help you shoot better too, assuming its the sights you're struggling with.

I can get 2" to 2.5" groups at 100 yards with any of my AK74s. With my 7.62x39 rifles I can get 3" - 3.5" groups with any of my 47s.

That's about average for most quality AKs, both 74 and 47. Some rifles do better and sometimes it's the shooter that does better. I'm by no means the best AK shot out there.

Seaweed02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Wow.

So many replies, I don't know if I can respond to everyone, but I promise you that I did read each and every post. Thank you for the advice and replies.

I don't know what will happen with it, but I want an AK 47 in 7.62x39 caliber to see what I can do. I would like it to have a wooden stock set because it seems more authentic like that. And I want a milled receiver and good barrel for better stability. Then if I can get 3 to 4 inch groups with open sights at 100 yards, I guess I won't be too dissapointed based on everyone's experience.

Thanks everyone.

Carl.

Top Bottom