• ...and so much more!
  • indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    yawwwn..Oh "AK" jibber

Before you look any further, you need to define for yourself what you will accept as accurate. I kept hearing about how accurate and amazing the arsenal AK's are but when I bought one and took it to the range I wan't impressed with its accuracy. The rifle was outstanding in a lot of ways, but people either want accuracy or reliability and for myself I wasn't happy enough with the accuracy.

gotta do this first Teddy

crap surplus dirty Sh&^, rusty 7.62x39 the square is 12x12
    though an sgl at 100
    7 rounds steady 3 semi rapid on ammo can;) DMR situation lol, "my trophy 7.62x39 target"

DSCN6003.jpg

teddy is correct this is no consistant 1,2 3 inch group match rifle***Again Tis designated to kill a many men sized targets at rushing
    speed or kill as many targets on the range as time, money and ammo will allow.
    BUT an Arsenal is the closest RUSSIAN AK we can just about have without building one from parts kits/etc,
    The SGL is a commercial version of the AK100 series platform brought to you by Izzy/Legion and Arsenal, RANT RANT
    Im in now way a salesman for Arsenal:D
    But I have "properly" researched shot many times and compaired, many, many AK's, after an AMD-65 I knew the next perfectly spec made RUssian AK was going to be an Arseanal, not Krebs etc, a company that has been in the game since AK's were***just about AK's

SO

Point to the late night yib yab

for your original needs,
    Research exactly what kinds of accuracy you can expect in an AK.

Know what to expect with an AK, jumpy rapid fire, inconsistant, sometimes consistant groups:):, rugged and simple, not a match rifle,
    dont expect to groups at 150+It wasnt designed to so this.

Shoot your lane neighbors AK if he offers ya, hell ask em.
    Go to Ingo shoots and im sure you will find a few you can shoot.

INGO's search or google can help you start
    enter

AK
    AK accuracy
    AK's
    7.62x39
    5.45x39
    Yugo
    Hungarian
    Bulgarian
    Norinco
    Polish
    Romanian/ Romy G
    PSL
    $VD..:):
    Arsenal/Legion
    Krebs
    Waffen Works
    Lancaster
    ..Century, they used to import great PSL's;)
    Vector
    Rifle Dynamics

Like others have said hard to find quality AK's amongst the pickens around here might have to go FFL

are a few

Here is a few reputable websites with AK gibber and info that I fequent every night.

Ak file forums
    Ar15.com

Choose wisely:ingo:

Last edited:

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    To throw my pennies in the pot:

Spend 1k on an amazing Arsenal *or* find a Mak 90 for $6-700 or so and buy a case of ammo/targets/slings/furniture/etc. Either way, if I had 1k for an AK I would be fighting myself over those two options.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    gotta do this first Teddy

DSCN6003.jpg

If I had gotten that kind of accuracy, I would have kept my arsenal. I'm just cursed when it comes to AK's I guess. My main reason for wanting more accuracy is that 1 or 2 hundred yards really isn't very far and I want to be able to hit what I'm looking at.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Don't get me wrong. I really like the CZ rifles, but there is a lot of advantages with going with the AK. Magazines, surplus parts, optic mounting, and accessories to name a few. I would suggest buying an AK as your entry into commie assault rifles, and then expanding into variants.

There are, to be fair, not as many options out there for the vz.58, but they are out there... I can think of at least 4 different companies making aluminum rail systems, there are side rails for optic mounts, magazines have gotten more expensive and harder to find, but Czechpoint always has surplus mags at $15 each. I would say the oposite... if you want to get into a good commie gun, go with the VZ first, as it is not an AK variant, in fact the only thing that it truly shares with the AK is the 7.62x39 cartridge, and a passing external resemblance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bad-mouthing the arsenal AK at all, but IMO the vz.58 is a better platform. (Flame suit on) :D

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Maadi's are another good AK. I have a Maadi ARM, and it's one of the best AK's I have fired. Just stay away from the Century imports.

Century imports typically aren't the problem.

Its the Century BUILT rifles you have to go over carefully. They dont build the imports, just a do a couple of small mods which they rarely screw up from what Ive seen.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Century imports typically aren't the problem.

Its the Century BUILT rifles you have to go over carefully. They dont build the imports, just a do a couple of small mods which they rarely screw up from what Ive seen.

Thank you for the correction, I meant Century built.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    As already mentioned, I've heard lots of good things about the Arsenal offerings. I'm in the hunt for an AK as well, but looking at a slightly lower budget.

Look around for a second hand one. Nothing wrong with a used AK. The main thing to look for is evidence of corrosion, usually due to the previous owner shooting corrosive ammo and not cleaning it.

Another option is a DIY Saiga conversion. But to be honest, you'll probably have just as much in it as an Arsenal by the time you do a complete conversion. By complete, I don't mean bolt on parts, plugging holes with plastic plugs, leaving the front end in a sporter configuration, non threaded barrel with absence of bayonet lug, and rattle canning it with Krylon. Not knocking that, I've done it several times and had tremendous success. But that is not a "complete" conversion. 545 cleaning rods are pricey, they replace the rear sight with the correct one, trigger guard and other parts are riveted on (rather than bolt on), coat it, replace the front sight with a 24mm one that has a 12:00 pin, etc..... Most of this can be done by ones self if your handy, but bolt on parts are expensive otherwise.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom