• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    When AKs were $389, they were good deals, now I see people asking $500-600 for a WASR. I can build or buy an AR for that. I prefer the AK gas piston but everything else about the AR is better.

More or less this. I own 3 AK type platforms (and I've owned two more in my time), but I'm just not impressed with their performance. I really want to like them, because they are rugged, and let's face, pretty damn cool.

I've been working my way up the AK chain, trading in my SAR 1 for a Vector 47 (the SAR 1 had replaced my NHM-91 Norinco, so I could have a more military stock AK, and it was cheaper to boot). I really want to trade my Bulgarian AK-74 in on an Arsenal 74, but that $800 sticker price on Arsenals (going to $900 now) rattles me a bit. Maybe if I could get $700 out of my current gun, it wouldn't bother me too much to bootstrap up.

Ammo price, for the cheap steel case stuff, is virtually identical (though surplus 5.45x39 is still cheaper than both 5.56 and 7.62x39). But mags are going up in price and you can buy a brand new PMAG for less than you can buy and old surplus steel AK mag (to be honest, though, I've never had an AK mag fail on me, if you exclude drums).

Maybe I just need to trade in my current AKs, get a pair of Arsenals and then be done with it (well, and get a new bolt for my Galil so it can be properly headspaced, unlike what the monkeys at CAI did to it).

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I think it is even simpler than you guys...

The World is ending in 7 Months and all the Preppers know that an Ar will be nothing more than a Crowbar on the SHTF Post Apocalyptic World of Mad Max....

And the Kalashnikov is capable of surviving and Functioning to the end of time...

Igotgills2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Fort Fun
    Ha! More of a reason to vote Republican. I could always use a few more rifles... wonder if those would be classified as a government discounted item...

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    The #1 reason the AK prices are going up is the barrel ban. Most of the AKs being sold today are made from imported parts & not being able to import barrels makes the price go up because the builders need to buy US made barrels. I think Sagia is the only true import AK.
    Another thing that makes the price go up is the fact that parts are getting harder to get. An AK parts kit was only $50 to $80 now it is over $350 to $400 for an un-matching numbers kit.

amhubz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Stone's throw from ND!
    :hooked:
    I'm hooked on this thread. I gotta say my buddies warned that I should pick myself up an AK before the election otherwise you wouldn't be able to get ahold of them. Did I listen? yeah! Do I believe him? ehh, not sure. I'll just have to wait and see and in the mean time, keep on buying up stuff :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45fan
    Sounds kinda like a cockroach! :D
    Avtomat Kockroachnikov

Top Bottom