• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    ok so im intrested in an ak of some sort, but i dont want to have to buy more ammo to shoot it, as i reload .223/5.56. can someone tell me a quality AK that shoots .223 cal. is ther such a thing. i am a definite rookie when it comes to AK's so if i sound kinda dumb u know why. im in the market for one, and might try to get one at bradis big sale coming up. any suggestions??? thaks everyone.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    If you're not looking to spend a lot, you could get a Saiga .223 for around $450ish, like this

saiga223.jpg

Then go here and buy the conversion kit of your choice: CONVERSION KITS:SAIGA 223, 5.45, 7.62, 308

And end up with something similar to this depending on the conversion kit you choose
    saiga2231.jpg

Converting Saigas is really easy and there's videos all over youtube on how to do it. It basically moves the trigger forward to its intended position and gives you the original AK look and function. The reason they come like the first picture is so they can be legally imported to the US. The conversion from CSS has the necessary parts to make you 100% legal per US regulations.

Hope this was helpful!

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Going off what jd said, I'm not sure how available those mags are, but you may try looking into a century arms golani as well. Century isn't known to make real good stuff, but my Century WASR runs great. I think its a luck of the draw kind of thing.

Do you already have an AR? I'm assuming that's why you want to stay with .223, but if its just cheap shooting you want with an AK you should look into an AK74. 545x39 is dirt cheap, probably cheaper than what you can load your .223's for, and parts and mag availabilty are much more common.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    yes I do had an ar an that is y I'm trying to keep it in one caliber. But i will look into the a k74 and i will consider it thank u

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    just off the top of my head, and this is a loose estimate depending on were and how much u pay for supplies. heres the breakdown:

powder: 25$ 1lb 100$ 8lb jug

cases: u can probably buy them once fired for 50-75$ for 1K

bullets: 75-100$ per 1K

primers: 50$ per 1K
    This is taking into account u already have press equipment. i would say u can do about 1K for anywhere between 175-300$. Now if u by in bulk u will pay more at one time but overall u will save more. I've only been reloading for a couple months so i hope some of the other more exp. reloaders will b able to b more specific. i was just trying to give u ballpark at 2a.m. Hope this helps.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Note that a lot of AKs put some good size dents in the case just under the neck usually due to it hitting the dust cover on ejection. One reason (besides for cheap ammo) a lot of AK owners don't reload.

An old Norinco, a coverted Saiga, an Arsenal, and even a Romanian SAR3 would be good options in my book. As jd4320t said, Mags are going to be a little more of a pain and expensive since there isn't any surplus mags in that caliber.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I did the Saiga .223 too. I converted it and am good to go.

FYI - I have seen where someone put some auto weatherstripping around the back side of the dust cover port to prevent the denting.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Last time I was in bradis they had a .223 saiga for $379. I have a saiga in 7.62 and its great. I have yet to convert mine but it doesn't seem to tough. I've seen plenty of .223 mags specifically for the saiga.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    You should be able to get Polish Beryl mags - that's 5.56.

I'm sure an Arsenal is out of the OP's price range, but an M10 might be an option.
    Do black Beryl mags have any metal reinforcement in the lugs or floorplate area? If not, I would stick with ((10)) for "serious use"

While I like them as a entry level AK, to my knowledge there is no 5.56 M10s.

FWIW, one other minor point about .223 AKs, part of the AK's reliability is that it's normal cartridges have a tapered case. The straight walls of .223/5.56 do slightly effect the overall reliability of an AK.

mikebaker1129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Houston ,TX
    Bulgy circle 10's,Polish Beryl mags,Romanian mags, Weiger mags,Orilite galil mags are an easy conversion. There are options for MAGS for Saiga conversions in .223/5.56.

Top Bottom