• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    First off I know almost nothing about the AK platform:D. I have never owned or shot one. Always wanted to give the platform a try. its been on my wishlist.

I stopped at my lgs today and they had one that was used. Sticker price was 869 and he said to make him an offer:dunno:. I told him no because I have no idea what a good price for one would be right now. It was a Hungarian receiver with a side fold stock.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction for where I can find some solid info on what to look for in an AK and some help with pricing would be appreciated?

Thanks !

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    First off I know almost nothing about the AK platform:D. I have never owned or shot one. Always wanted to give the platform a try. its been on my wishlist.

I stopped at my lgs today and they had one that was used. Sticker price was 869 and he said to make him an offer:dunno:. I told him no because I have no idea what a good price for one would be right now. It was a Hungarian receiver with a side fold stock.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction for where I can find some solid info on what to look for in an AK and some help with pricing would be appreciated?

Thanks !

If it was an AMD-65, that seems really high. Give it a little time and the prices will come back down

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Hungarian side folder...sounds like an AMD-65.

1. Find the AK Build Party thread a few pages back, that has a lot of stuff in it. The next one we have, I would suggest attending, even if you are not building . There were a lot of different AKs there from different countries that you could have looked at.

2. Bookmark The AK Files Forums - Powered by vBulletin

3. Go to YouTube and just look up AK-47. You will find a ton of info on them. If you are going for your first AK, I would suggest the WASR but make sure you watch a video or two about what to look for. Not all WASRs are alike. If you go with AK-74, I would suggest a Waffen Werks.

You have a lot of reading and watching to do. Enjoy it.

Vicfirth01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I too am in the market for an Ak47. But as much as I want one, i am trying to avoid buying one right now. I checked with one of my lgs and they had an arsenal, which I have read up on and are presumed to be one of the best you can buy. However they wanted 1600 dollars for it. Though it did have a milled receiver I thought it ridiculous to be asking so much.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana

Thanks !

The gun you saw at your Lgs did it look like this.
    ejitn9.jpg

If it does it was a Hungarian AMD 65, the barrel could be a little longer.
    This is an original 12" barrel so the muzzle is permanently attached to make the barrel over 16".
    This gun is a great shooter even with the short barrel it is one of my most accurate guns.

PaxRomana

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    you may also want to take a look at the vz.58 platform... they are great rifles.

www.czechpoint-usa.com

I can second this recommendation. I just traded in an AK for a VZ-2000, which is a version of the 58. Awesome rifle....I was never really crazy about the AK platform to begin with, but this VZ is fantastic. Beautiful milled receiver, folding stock....looks sort of like an AK but internally is much different. Worth a look for sure...

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/Firearms/OOWExclusiveFirearms/VZ2000TacticalRifle.rif

Last edited:

PaxRomana

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    The only problem with the VZ is every thing has to match the VZ it is not an AK even if it uses the 7.62x39 round.

Understood...was just offering this as an alternative to the AK platform. If he is not married to the idea of having an AK per se, these are a very nice alternative.

Indiana Ed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Bloomington / South
    The gun you saw at your Lgs did it look like this.
    ejitn9.jpg

If it does it was a Hungarian AMD 65, the barrel could be a little longer.
    This is an original 12" barrel so the muzzle is permanently attached to make the barrel over 16".
    This gun is a great shooter even with the short barrel it is one of my most accurate guns.

AMD65 is a good one. there are some FEG ones out there that are great shooters

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom