AK 47 is it normal to have magazine slop?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I had a WASR 10/63 underfolder, it did the same thing. I did some research on the Internet and found that it was a fairly common complaint. The sources I found made it sound like this was an effect of converting the receiver to accept "real" (staggered) AK-47 magazines. It is supposedly worse on AK-pattern rifles that to not have a "dimple" in the receiver, just above the magazine well.

For the record, I never had any magazine-related issues with my WASR...just some annoying looseness.

-Paul

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    A little slop is normal for AKs, but it really depends on how MUCH slop were are talking about.

What type of magazine are you using?
    Does your receiver have dimples?
    Is your AK one of those CAI builds that required them to dremel out the mag-well opening to convert from single stack to double stack?

wilianknow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think maybe I would like my Norinco AK 47, had it in the late 80's wish to god I did not sell it. Maybe I should try to get one again or maybe a real Russian AK 47.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Many of the polymer mags will fit a little tighter. If you want to meet up you can try my ((10))'s or my us palms and see if those work better for you. Or you can buy some of each and go from there.

MikeyB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    Both my AKs have mag wobble. One is a wasr and the other a converted Saiga. The wasr has more slop than the Saiga, but both feed fine. It's just a little annoying. Polymer mags do fit tighter as stated earlier.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Some maggle wob is to be expected. Even my Norinco has some but I know the Wasrs are supposed to be worse. Interested in learning more details.

rwhitmore8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    The United States of America
    Its common in many ak variants, but primarily the century arms wasr's. This is because they dont have the mag dimples on their receivers. Instead they have welded blocks inside the receiver. The dimples apply pressure to the mag to keep it steady. However, some mags are thinner than others. If you throw a chinese mag in your wasr it will be very tight. You just have to play around with it.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Hey just do the mag wobble... hey big girl do the mag wobble.. hey small girl do the mag wobble... copy righted its the next big thing in the rap line dance world... just wait until i release this album.

Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I think the basic clarifier needs to be said:
    Side to side wobble is considered "normal" within a certain range.
    Front to back wobble is considered a no-no.

Patriot3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Kokomo
    The wasr has the mag slop, there is a fix for it but it isnt a real big concern, i have an ATI ak47 and there is no mag slop and i love the gun

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    I own a SA M-7 Arsenal and have no mag slop.....my romy and my polish have enough that they rattle when left alone on a table and I walk across the floor. They have never given me an inch of hassle. Buy the tapco polymer ak mags. they are always over molded and fit tight as all get out in my Arsenal but suck up some of the slop from the others. Either way..none of my mag wobble has had any effect on function.

Top Bottom