• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrm400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hobart
    I live in Indiana and visit Las Vegas frequently. My wife is from LV. I am aware of the TSA rules on airline travel with a declared firearm in checked luggage, as well as the airline's policy. There is no problem there, and flying out of Indianapolis is not a problem, but the city of Chicago has an out and out BAN on handguns. The Chicago airports are much closer to where I live, and I would need to drive through Chicago to get to either one of the airports. My question is this. Does anyone know if they're arresting people upon declaring a handgun for checked baggage in Chicago? Or confiscating? The CPD and TSA are both very present at both airports. Does anyone here have experience checking a handgun in this city?

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    No, you will not be arrested for transporting a weapon properly through Chicago. . .

or for checking your firearm properly at the airport.

I do a lot of work at both O'Hare and Midway and have never heard or anyone being arrested who was following the rules. Nor have I heard of anyone having their firearm confiscated for properly checking it in with the airline (i.e. declaring it and having it locked up and unloaded in one's checked baggage according to TSA standards). You just need to know what is required to both transport the firearm through Chicago as well as the proper procedure for declaring the firearm upon checking in at the airport. There are plenty of resources pertaining to these procedures on official government websites. You could also speak to someone at the airlines for advice as to how the process works at their particular airline.

Just do your best to get the information since "I didn't know" is rarely a good defense. The procedures are fairly straight forward, so don't get too out of sorts over it.

The gun laws in Chicago are horrifically oppressive, but primarily oppress those unfortunate enough to be residents of Chicago.

Hopefully the Supreme Court can rectify the bad situation when they come to a decision this summer.

Vanguard.45

sur+rifle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Warrick, IN
    I used to live in South Bend, IN and would fly out of ORD. Quite a few years ago, I was told by airport personnel that Indiana residents couldn't do this because we couldn't register our firearms in Chicago (no FOID card). However, more recently I have been told by some Northern Indiana gun owners that you could IF the firearms are being transported for a "recreational" purpose. In that case it would fall under an exception in the Chicago Municipal code (8-20-040-b-5):

American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    (a) All firearms in the City of Chicago shall be registered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter. It shall be the duty of a person owning or possessing a firearm to cause such firearm to be registered. No person shall within the City of Chicago, possess, harbor, have under his control, transfer, offer for sale, sell, give, deliver, or accept any firearm unless such person is the holder of a valid registration certificate for such firearm. No person shall, within the City of Chicago, possess, harbor, have under his control, transfer, offer for sale, sell, give, deliver, or accept any firearm which is unregisterable under the provisions of this chapter.
    (b) This section shall not apply to:
    (1) Firearms owned or under the direct control or custody of any federal, state or local governmental authority maintained in the course of its official duties;
    (2) Duty-related firearms owned and possessed by peace officers who are not residents of the City of Chicago;
    (3) Duty-related firearms owned or possessed by corrections officers; provided, that such corrections officers are not residents of the City of Chicago;
    (4) Firearms owned, manufactured or processed by licensed manufacturers of firearms, bulk transporters or licensed sellers of firearms at wholesale or retail, provided that such persons have, in addition to any other license required by law, a valid deadly weapons dealer license issued under Chapter 4-144 of this Code;
    (5) Any nonresident of the City of Chicago participating in any lawful recreational firearm-related activity in the city, or on his way to or from such activity in another jurisdiction; provided, that such weapon shall be unloaded and securely wrapped and that his possession or control of such firearm is lawful in the jurisdiction in which he resides;
    (6) Peace officers, while in the course of their official duties, who possess and control any firearm or ammunition issued by their department, bureau or agency in the normal course of business;
    (7) Private security personnel who possess or control any firearm or ammunition within the City of Chicago; provided, that such firearms shall be owned and maintained by the security firm employing such personnel and shall be registered by the security firm in accordance with this chapter;
    (8) Those persons summoned by a peace officer to assist in making an arrest or preserving the peace while actually engaged in assisting the peace officer.

Putting more emphasis to this, NRA/ILA does not list Chicago as one of the advisory areas for seizures of guns in airports (New York and New Jersey are really bad about this). Though they do mention the specific laws for Illinois and mention the Chicago registration requirement. See: NRA-ILA Guide to Transporting Firearms ::

Net, I am not sure what to believe at this point. It seems that under Federal and Illinois laws one is completely o.k. transporting the handgun through the Chicago airports as long as it is locked and immediately taken from the car to the check-in counter. And it looks like we are O.K. under the Chicago Municipal code if it is being transported for recreational purposes (God forbid if we wanted to use it for self-defense...). But I am still very leery on this point since it all hinges on proving this recreational use.

If I were going to try this, I would call NRA/ILA and see what their latest thinking is regarding Chicago and the ORD and midway airports. They would be able to give up-to-date reports on any seizures, etc.

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    South of Indy (in the woods)
    What is the real deal in Chicago with them not wanting any citizen to be armed? Is everyone there that corrupt to where they are afraid to have armed citizens?

I would put my gun in a case and lock it and then put it in one of those bags you put film in for when it goes through x ray even though it is a checked bag. and in a ziploc

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I live in Indiana and visit Las Vegas frequently. My wife is from LV. I am aware of the TSA rules on airline travel with a declared firearm in checked luggage, as well as the airline's policy. There is no problem there, and flying out of Indianapolis is not a problem, but the city of Chicago has an out and out BAN on handguns. The Chicago airports are much closer to where I live, and I would need to drive through Chicago to get to either one of the airports. My question is this. Does anyone know if they're arresting people upon declaring a handgun for checked baggage in Chicago? Or confiscating? The CPD and TSA are both very present at both airports. Does anyone here have experience checking a handgun in this city?

If you're contemplating carrying your piece in Vegas, think again. Nevada doesn't recognize Indiana's LTCH. The Utah non-resident is a no-go, also.

jrm400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hobart
    Scheduled for a training class. NV non resident CCW I'm flyin from Indy or South bend after this one though. The instructor said I can use his "J frame S&W" , which is what I like to carry any way, for the training.

At this point I am thinking....heck with Chicago anyway, so this will be my last time out of Midway.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    I had no problems checking my Ruger at Midway earlier this year.
    UNDERSTAND THAT INDIVIDUAL AIRLINES HAVE THEIR OWN RULES.

I posted about this in another thread.
    Bottom line: TransAir (who I flew with) had more restrictions.
    I had to have the ammo in one checked back..and the firearm in a different bag.

According to TSA rules, the firearm must be in a hard, locked case..AND you should NOT be able to pry it open while locked (most hard cases you can slip the handgun out of without touching the lock).
    I drilled another hole in my case handle to add a 2nd TSA approved lock.
    I also stripped the gun and layed in the case...they don't play around too much with parts.

Also a bit of my own concern: I will take 1 key component out of the gun case and put in a different bag..so if someone takes my case..they have a nonfunctioning gun.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Id call ORD or MDW airport (depending on what one you use) PD and ask them and also talk to the airline and get the policies in writing if you can. Calling ORD or MDW TSA and asking them would not hurt either.

If you want to take ammo I would ask first because that may be considerd hazmat.... for some airlines tansporting hazmat is a big no-no............. if you wonder why this is ask ValueJet/now AirTran.

P.S. Never assume you are ok or screw around with/when it comes to the CPD at the airports...... I have been told by at least one person that saw first hand what happens when someone got lippy with them.......... I hear they are CPD cops that are a few years from retierment and don't screw around...

Last edited:

jrm400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hobart
    Thanks! Yes if you carry an auto you need to qualify and list each one on your CCW but as you probably know if you qualify with a revolver you can carry different revolver no prob. That will be good enough for me as I'm just an old guy, 55....lol Once I have done this and find the instructor to be near as good as his reputation, which I am sure he is, I will post in here about if others are interested in a Nevada non-res CCW and want to do the class in the Las Vegas area.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Nevada is an open carry state. Just got back from there last week.
    Ah, I didn't notice that part when I checked handgunlaw.us, wouldn't have mattered anyway. OCing in the crowd I was with would have probably caused my vacation to be an unpleasant one.
    Scheduled for a training class. NV non resident CCW I'm flyin from Indy or South bend after this one though. The instructor said I can use his "J frame S&W" , which is what I like to carry any way, for the training.
    :thumbsup: on the NV permit. It seemed like a decent deal, but wasn't in the cards (get it!?) for my trip.

sur+rifle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Warrick, IN
    Once I have done this and find the instructor to be near as good as his reputation, which I am sure he is, I will post in here about if others are interested in a Nevada non-res CCW and want to do the class in the Las Vegas area.

Excellent. It is a good addition to the Indiana permit Funny thing is that I am spending more time in Minnesota and the Nevada permit covers that. In fact, the Indiana, Nevada, Florida permit combo is about as good as it gets.

Also, just wanted to mention if you fly out of South Bend in the future please be aware of the assault weapon and high capacity mag ban in case you use something other than a revolver.

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Also, just wanted to mention if you fly out of South Bend in the future please be aware of the assault weapon and high capacity mag ban in case you use something other than a revolver.
    jrm400 said:
    Thanks. I didn't know South Bend had a hi cap mag ban. Good to know.

This ordinance is no longer valid or enforced. As long as the firearm is valid to own in Indiana you can own it in South Bend.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom