• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I am very happy with my Walmart .177 Crossman. It was only $50, and is 900fps, I think. It is accurate as can be with pellets. I can keep a 3" group at 25y with something to rest on. It takes 10 pumps for each shot, and the trigger is rough and has no clean break though. I'm considering one of those break barrel, spring actions, to gain more range, but I'm afraid the spring will make the gun jerk. I'd never pay more than $100 for a BB gun though.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    Can anybody here recommend a good place for me to be able to see several good quality air rifles? I can order anything on line, but I'd like to check these things out a bit first.

I don't know where to buy and fondle locally, but I've been eye-balling the Benjamin Marauder's for about 2 months now. I've pretty much made up my mind that I will buy one sight unseen from http://www.PyramidAir.com (although walmart.com sells them as well and can ship to your house or store.)

It's USA made by Crosman, has glowing reviews, and comes in 3 caliber options to choose from. (.177, .22, .25) I'm torn between the .22 or .25cal.

There are massive amounts of youtube videos featuring this gun and the people who review it and hunt with it. I've seen people drop everything from 200lbs wild hogs in Texas and teeny tiny little ground squirrels. The gun is dead silent, ZERO recoil, and can put pellet on pellet up to 30 yards.

I want something that can drop a coon without my neighbors knowing. Something that I can shoot in the yard when I can't get to the range with my powder burners.

PCP air guns are becoming more popular in the states. MO just amended it's hunting laws to allow big-bore air rifle deer hunting. I see no reason why, with proper lobbying, that we could not do the same in Indiana, especially since a precedence has been set. Some of the big bore PCP guns put out 250+ foot-pounds @ 800+ FPS and most air guns don't shoot much farther than 100yards. So, in all actuality airguns would be safer when you compared them to a similarly sized powder burning cartridge that can easily travel for miles unchecked. All the energy you need to take down your quarry at comfortable finite hunting distances.

Air guns have been used in Europe for decades, as they have very strict gun control laws. UK landowners live by them and it's about the only way to hunt over there.

Pellets are cheap and air is free, so long as you pump it yourself. Ammo prices aren't going to get any cheaper, as far as I can tell. I cry a little every time I shoot my .308 anymore.

I applaud you for looking into "a man's air rifle". I love me some guns that go bang and lord knows I've spent a fortune on them, but when it comes down to practicality and getting a job done, air rifles can sometimes be a better choice.

PCP air gun setup = $700.00
    Sniping the pigeon that keeps crapping all over my car; in complete silence = PRICELESS!

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I don't know where to buy and fondle locally, but I've been eye-balling the Benjamin Marauder's for about 2 months now. I've pretty much made up my mind that I will buy one sight unseen from http://www.PyramidAir.com (although walmart.com sells them as well and can ship to your house or store.)

It's USA made by Crosman, has glowing reviews, and comes in 3 caliber options to choose from. (.177, .22, .25) I'm torn between the .22 or .25cal.

There are massive amounts of youtube videos featuring this gun and the people who review it and hunt with it. I've seen people drop everything from 200lbs wild hogs in Texas and teeny tiny little ground squirrels. The gun is dead silent, ZERO recoil, and can put pellet on pellet up to 30 yards.

I want something that can drop a coon without my neighbors knowing. Something that I can shoot in the yard when I can't get to the range with my powder burners.

PCP air guns are becoming more popular in the states. MO just amended it's hunting laws to allow big-bore air rifle deer hunting. I see no reason why, with proper lobbying, that we could not do the same in Indiana, especially since a precedence has been set. Some of the big bore PCP guns put out 250+ foot-pounds @ 800+ FPS and most air guns don't shoot much farther than 100yards. So, in all actuality airguns would be safer when you compared them to a similarly sized powder burning cartridge that can easily travel for miles unchecked. All the energy you need to take down your quarry at comfortable finite hunting distances.

Air guns have been used in Europe for decades, as they have very strict gun control laws. UK landowners live by them and it's about the only way to hunt over there.

Pellets are cheap and air is free, so long as you pump it yourself. Ammo prices aren't going to get any cheaper, as far as I can tell. I cry a little every time I shoot my .308 anymore.

I applaud you for looking into "a man's air rifle". I love me some guns that go bang and lord knows I've spent a fortune on them, but when it comes down to practicality and getting a job done, air rifles can sometimes be a better choice.

PCP air gun setup = $700.00
    Sniping the pigeon that keeps crapping all over my car; in complete silence = PRICELESS!

Discount Rifle Scopes and Optics On Sale

If your still looking, I see that this place has the .22 &.177 marauder for $416.95 with free shipping. That's quite a bit cheaper than I've seen them else where. However, I've never bought anything from that company, nor have I seen any reviews.

Last edited:

BTSTEVE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Sellersburg
    If your just wanting a quality air rifle then the Benjamin Trail NP XL line is real nice. They are break barrel nitro piston rifles and are quite powerful. I have a Trail XL 1100 which is .22 cal and it is very accurate and has plenty of knock down power for birds and small pest. My son has the .177 cal all weather that shoots around 1000 fps and it is very nice also. They come with a Centerpoint 3-9 x 40 air rifle scope that is pretty good for an air rifle. I would say the XL 1100 would be plenty of gun for a racoon out to 40 yards.

Walmart.com has the xl 1100 for $250
    Bought the Trail NP .177 all weather at Airgundepot and it was around 180.00 on sale.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY

I just found out about this rifle and am seriously considering buying one for a Christmas present to myself. Have you seen what this thing can do?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx2u2cqCoK4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYIF5oHEfYM[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li4raViWMHY[/ame]

Un-friggin-believable.

The ammo's pricey (as is the weapon) but you get what you pay for, I imagine.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Wow, that's awesome!

Check out the Dragon Claw. It is made in South Korea, and is .50 caliber. I saw a video of a guy killing a 275 pound hog with one.

These things are really amazing! 250 or so pumps, though, to pump one up with a bicycle-style pump, or you can pay $4 or $5 to get it filled at a scuba shop. I'd probably get a portable air tank to go with it.

What is amazing is that this stuff is nothing new. Lewis and Clark had an unbelievable Italian made air gun when they explored the west. I'll try and post a link about it soon.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Wow, that's awesome!

Check out the Dragon Claw. It is made in South Korea, and is .50 caliber. I saw a video of a guy killing a 275 pound hog with one.

These things are really amazing! 250 or so pumps, though, to pump one up with a bicycle-style pump, or you can pay $4 or $5 to get it filled at a scuba shop. I'd probably get a portable air tank to go with it.

What is amazing is that this stuff is nothing new. Lewis and Clark had an unbelievable Italian made air gun when they explored the west. I'll try and post a link about it soon.

Really? I was not aware that L&C used air guns on their expedition. Thank you for that amazing piece of history. Plus c'est change, plus c'est le meme change. The only considerable difference I imagine would be the manner in which the action functions. Theirs mechanical, the one I mentioned a microcontroller operated solenoid valve. Oh, the times.

Last edited:

mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    ...... The gun is dead silent........

I just borrowed a friends Gamo 'whisper', and it is a long way from silent. It cracks at least as loud as a .22 CB. My son was 2 doors down (about 200 yards) and he heard every shot and soon came running to see what I was doing.

Have you found one that is truly that quiet?

Thanks

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Steyr LP10 pistol in .177 and Steyr LG110 HP rifle in .22 with Hawke 8-32x56 scope.
    steyrrifleandpistol003.jpg

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Steyr LP10 pistol in .177 and Steyr LG110 HP rifle in .22 with Hawke 8-32x56 scope.
    steyrrifleandpistol003.jpg

$3100 for 17.5 ft*lbf? Sure, it's nice....but you could get a marauder, rogue, and a springer plus accessories for that price. I mean I'm sure it's a great air rifle, but still......that's a lot of dough for a .177

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    $3100 for 17.5 ft*lbf? Sure, it's nice....but you could get a marauder, rogue, and a springer plus accessories for that price. I mean I'm sure it's a great air rifle, but still......that's a lot of dough for a .177

The price you quoted is way high and the ft/lb is way low. This is a factory custom build and it is in .22.

marsell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I just borrowed a friends Gamo 'whisper', and it is a long way from silent. It cracks at least as loud as a .22 CB. My son was 2 doors down (about 200 yards) and he heard every shot and soon came running to see what I was doing.

Have you found one that is truly that quiet?

Thanks
    It is quiet if you don't use the PVA pellets. Those will break the sound barrier which creates the loud crack. Use standard lead pellets and you will just hear the 'doing' of the action.

Also if you are looking for a Gamo whisper I bought mine from Woot.com for $130 and have seen that sale repeated twice. Overall very solid air rifle. Have taken six squirrels with it in the past two weeks.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    The price you quoted is way high and the ft/lb is way low. This is a factory custom build and it is in .22.

please tell me where you are finding these specs and prices then. I did a quick google search and $3100 was the price I found it for, and it was reported as 24 joules (≈17.5 ft*lbf). I'll gladly be wrong, but I can't find it for less than that.

mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    It is quiet if you don't use the PVA pellets. Those will break the sound barrier which creates the loud crack. Use standard lead pellets and you will just hear the 'doing' of the action.

Also if you are looking for a Gamo whisper I bought mine from Woot.com for $130 and have seen that sale repeated twice. Overall very solid air rifle. Have taken six squirrels with it in the past two weeks.

Thanks,

I tried the 'regular' Crossman pellets from Wal-Mart, and they are terrible when it comes to accuracy. They'll vary 5-6" easily at 16 yards. I'm going back to the good pellets.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Mine is a RWS .177 pellets air rifle. Barrel cork once and insert a pellet snap it back, aim and fire. Not much a hog killer but the largest thing I killed was a raccoon. A lot of squirrels and rabbits have fallen by it at my mom's backyard.

Top Bottom