• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    I have an assortment of air rifles and pistols in both .177 and .22 caliber. My most powerful is a .177 break barrel that will shoot a lead pellet at 1000fps. It is accurate and a pellet at 25yds will completely penetrate a 1in pine board and go partway thru the second. It would make a good squirrel or rabbit gun. I've considered getting a PCP rifle but for now I'm having too much fun with my rimfire and centerfire guns.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Beeman R9 break barrel (spring) .177 caliber and the squirrels, possums, and blue jays rue the day I got it. :D

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    A couple of Chinese springers in .177: one side-cocker and one under-barrel. Both chrono ca. 800 f/s.

Russian Baikal IZH-61 side-cocker, also .177. 5-shot strip magazine repeater that has an adjustable buttstock; a rear sight which can be mounted either on the barrel or receiver and has both open and aperture blades; a hooded front with four blade options and a spacey-looking pistol grip and forearm. Chonos only ca. 600 f/s, but is extremely accurate to 20 yd.

RWS M48 side-cocker in .22. Heavy (a bit over 9# with 2-7X, AO scope and mount), but scarey-accurate and throws a 14.5 gr. pellet at 860 f/s. I've taken squirrels and cottontails with it out to 35 yds.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Some us own air guns and are pretty serious about it. International Air Rifle and Air Pistol are Olympic sports. There is a group of folks in Indiana who participate in local matches. There are matches in Georgetown, Columbus, Greenfield and Indy. These matches are going on now, being held indoors from roughly October thru March. If you are in the southern Indiana area, we are having matches in Georgetown this Saturday morning. You can stop by and see what we do and get an idea of the equipment we use. Send me a pm and I'll fill you in.

I have owned a few air pistols and rifles. Right now, I've pared down my collection to just these two, a Feinwerkbau 601 single stroke pneumatic rifle and a Morini 162 EI pre-compressed pneumatic with electronic trigger.
    fwb601Morini.jpg

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I own a pair of Gamo Shadow 1000's, that I use for pest control.

Granted they are not as nice as Mike's Feinwerkbau (very nice air-rifle man) but they work great for what I use them for, which is protecting the garden & chicken coop from invaders.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I own a pair of Gamo Shadow 1000's, that I use for pest control.

Granted they are not as nice as Mike's Feinwerkbau (very nice air-rifle man) but they work great for what I use them for, which is protecting the garden & chicken coop from invaders.

Thanks Richard. One thing's for sure, none of them are toys. All the ones mentioned in this thread are serious tools. You just have to decide what purpose your air gun will serve and find the right tool for the job at the price point you can live with. PCP is good for serious target shooting because we shoot 60 shots plus sighters. Pumping even a single-stroke that much gets tiring. With the PCP we just have to flip up a lever, load and shoot. The drawback is that the PCP's are very expensive and of course you have to buy an expensive pump or scuba tank to charge the cylinder. CO2 guns have come a long way. Most of the good ones don't leak and they have the advantages of PCP.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have quite a few, my favorites are my Daisy Discovery .22 cal precharged and my RWS mdl. 48 in .25 cal. springer

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have targets set up at 20 and 30 yds, and yes it gets boring nailing the bulls eye all the time with my .25 caliber RWS 48. I have the pump set-up for my .22 cal Daisy Discovery. It's looks like a heavy duty bicycle pump capable of producing 3,500 PSI. The power doesn't really start dropping off till after about 20 shots. It is recomended not to pump more than 2,000 PSI in the Discovery.
    No air tanks....no co2's and it is fairly light, unlike the RWS 48 that weighs about 9-10 pounds.

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    I have a px4 storm c02 pistol. The gun weighs and feels very similar to the real thing as it even has blowback. The c02 cartridge tends to lose power around 25 shots and changing c02 is a bit of an art form (sometimes too tight, sometimes too loose, etc), but overall very happy with it.

McMark

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Some time back Marion County Fish & Game did a USPSA air gun event. Not sure if its still called air gun but it sounds like something I would be interested in doing, especially during the colder months. Does anyone know if there are plans to do something like this again?

roundball

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    nine mile wa.
    I have a RWS .17 cal. I paid $200.00 for and put a BSA Air Rifle scope on it for $65.00. It is a break type. That is the kind you grab the end of the barrel and the stock and break it open to cock the rifle. It shoots very accuratly at 25 yds and more. If you don't use it for small game, it is really a cheep and good way to practice off hand shooting.

roundball

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    nine mile wa.
    Airguns.

I know what you mean by addictive. You take it to the range and it is so much fun. Then you see you drove to the range and you feel like you should be shooting your regular rifles.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I first started shooting in air guns at 10 meters in a club before I moved to .22s and then larger calibers at greater distances.
    It's really good to learn and practice how to shoot any gun.
    If you cant be accurate with a air gun where you dont have any recoil like with a firearm then you will be a poor shot with a firearm who moves as soon as you press the trigger.
    It all good to work on your shooting skills almost anywhere even at home where you couldnt shoot a fierarm.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I have a Gamo Shadow 1000 .177. Rated @ 1,000 fps .. shots around 900 fps. I replaced the Factory Trigger with an after market GRT -III. WOW what a difference. The biggest issue with Gamos is their triggers. The GRT is $30.00. Well worth the price.

Top Bottom