Aimpoint vs. aimpoint: PRO vs. CompC3 vs. CompM3?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Most people find larger dots (larger than 4 MOA) allow faster acquisition of the necessary visual cues at close ranges. For instance, the really fast Open Division shooters at the Steel Challenge will all use dots significantly larger than 4 MOA.

Keep in mind that the dots on Aimpoints are about as close to perfectly circular as you will find in the industry, with little or no "bloom" unless you turn the power higher than you need it. For that reason, they appear a little smaller than lesser competitors' products with the same spec for dot size. So, it's a little easier to use them precisely when you need to do so.

For instance, the 1 MOA dot in the middle of my EOTech reticle appears larger than the 2 MOA dot in an Aimpoint (to my eyes) because of the fuzziness around the outside of the dot (bloom). The Aimpoint dot is clearly defined and very easy to see and use.

I've never used a 2 MOA, so I'm curious. If the 2 MOA is more accurate for longer distance, why would you want the 4MOA?

Is it just easy to see at 100 yards?

What would the difference be at, say, 25 yards?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    explain the diff to me please. Im a complete noob to optics.

If Evan doesn't mind . . .

An Aimpoint is a scope that displays a red dot to show where you are aimed and there is no magnification. Its illumination is provided by a battery powered LED emitter.

An ACOG is a low power, fixed power telescopic sight. Depending on the model, the magnification varies, but I believe the most common is 4X. Aiming is aided by a reticle pattern etched into the glass, which is illuminated by fiber optics gathering available light (I don't know if it also has tritium for illumination or not).

In general, red dots like the Aimpoint excel at closer distances, whereas magnified optics (especially non-adjustable) excel at middle to longer distances.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The Aimpoint PRO doesn't have the high efficiency electronics. That's a pretty expensive feature but otherwise, the PRO is the same. If you don't need 2 year battery life, why spend the extra money?

The Aimpoint PRO has the CET diode, while the M3 and ML3 have the ACET diode. The difference in battery life is 30,000 hours (3+ years of continuous use) and 50,000 hours (5+ years of continuous use), respectively. I would say both are "high efficiency," especially when comparing to something like an EOTech. ;)

Top Bottom